Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print
PETITION to No. 10 - Prevent doctors using 0844 (Read 234,704 times)
sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: PETITION to No. 10 - Prevent doctors using 084
Reply #75 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 3:20pm

Just as a matter of interest, have any of the Downing Street petitions ever been acted on and if so how many have gone in favour of the Great British public? Or do they just get ignored and nothing is ever done?

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #76 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 12:04am

The Petition is now eighth on the leaderboard.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2007 at 12:05am by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #77 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 12:29am

sherbert wrote on Nov 14th, 2007 at 3:20pm:
Just as a matter of interest, have any of the Downing Street petitions ever been acted on and if so how many have gone in favour of the Great British public? Or do they just get ignored and nothing is ever done?

A good question.  I think the answer is Yes in a few cases.    The PM's website states that all petitions which gain 100 votes or more will receive a reply.    In practice some seem to be ignored but most popular petitions do receive a Government Response.   The Responses are published on the website with each petition and most closed Petitions have their Response.   A few live petitions get a Response before their end date (e.g. "Allow the Red Arrows to fly at the 2012 Olympics" which still has 10 months to run), as you can see, and I have seen a few which attracted a Response within 2 days of starting.    

It would be a matter of opinion whether, or to what extent, some Responses indicate that Government policy was influenced by a petition.

In one notable case a petition was publicised by this website  regarding NGN numbers : ---
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/saynoto0870/
and initially was ignored by the Gov't despite gaining over 43000 votes.    Following correspondence with the PM about this snub to 43000 people a Government Response was posted, which became heavily criticised.   This is still the subject of correspondence with 10 Downing Street and, just maybe, has had and will have significant influence on Government action and policy.

My view is that it is up to the initiators and supporters of a petition to try and make something happen.    If we don't like the Response then we should follow it up with positive and purposeful arguments.   We may or may not get some results, but at least we can try.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2007 at 8:09am by loddon »  
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #78 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 9:06am

loddon wrote on Nov 16th, 2007 at 12:29am:
sherbert wrote on Nov 14th, 2007 at 3:20pm:

A good question.  I think the answer is Yes in a few cases.    The PM's website states that all petitions which gain 100 votes or more will receive a reply.    In practice some seem to be ignored but most popular petitions do receive a Government Response.   The Responses are published on the website with each petition and most closed Petitions have their Response.   A few live petitions get a Response before their end date (e.g. "Allow the Red Arrows to fly at the 2012 Olympics" which still has 10 months to run), as you can see, and I have seen a few which attracted a Response within 2 days of starting.   

It would be a matter of opinion whether, or to what extent, some Responses indicate that Government policy was influenced by a petition.

In one notable case a petition was publicised by this website  regarding NGN numbers : ---
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/saynoto0870/
and initially was ignored by the Gov't despite gaining over 43000 votes.    Following correspondence with the PM about this snub to 43000 people a Government Response was posted, which became heavily criticised.   This is still the subject of correspondence with 10 Downing Street and, just maybe, has had and will have significant influence on Government action and policy.

My view is that it is up to the initiators and supporters of a petition to try and make something happen.    If we don't like the Response then we should follow it up with positive and purposeful arguments.   We may or may not get some results, but at least we can try.

Well, thanks very much for that Loddon, very interesting and I appreciate the trouble you took in your reply. I think your last sentence is correct, if you don't have a go, you have not got a right to moan; at least people can say they tried to do their bit when they have tried to make something happen. Another thought, I wonder how many MPs have a financial interest in these companies that supply these systems to the doctors surgeries etc.   Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2007 at 9:07am by sherbert »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #79 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 10:47am

sherbert wrote on Nov 16th, 2007 at 9:06am:
if you don't have a go, you have not got a right to moan; at least people can say they tried to do their bit when they have tried to make something happen.
Many of us are involved in this campaign because we seek for something to actually happen, and believe that we could succeed. We are not looking for some modest justification for a sense of dissatisfaction in having failed. These efforts, often unseen, are proving to be effective, although there is still some way to go. The petition has a place in this.

sherbert wrote on Nov 16th, 2007 at 9:06am:
Another thought, I wonder how many MPs have a financial interest in these companies that supply these systems to the doctors surgeries etc.   Wink
Inertia is generally a far more likely reason for inaction on any point than hidden interests. The campaign is supported by a sizeable, and growing, list of MPs.

The financial interest of concern here is not of any personal nature, it is the fact that payments by patients are used to avoid spending from taxpayer-funded budgets.

David

IP Logged

tjfs

Cambridge, UK
Reply #80 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 6:52pm

Good news - our local paper reports the DoH has issued guidance to doctors saying they should not enter into new contracts for 0844 type services and calls should cost no more than a local call.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2007 at 6:53pm by tjfs »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #81 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 7:29pm

tjfs wrote on Nov 23rd, 2007 at 6:52pm:
Good news - our local paper reports the DoH has issued guidance to doctors saying they should not enter into new contracts for 0844 type services and calls should cost no more than a local call.

What area is that?

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #82 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 7:33pm

Petition is now 18000.   It continues to add a steady 1000 per week.

IP Logged

zelig

Reply #83 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 6:09am

The point that I made in my first post is that this is now being taken up by hospital services, certainly in the mental health field and if the lid is not put on it, likely to be taken up by many more health services than just gp surgeries.

IP Logged

aviator

Reply #84 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 3:24pm

Its not just the doctors but other services also. I tried to telephone Parcel Force today with costs of 10p per minute so my service provider said. All I wanted to do was to find out why a requested parcel delivery had not been made.

It is madness and not customer service to force payment and I will be very interested to see what eventually happens to the 0870 petition even though initially rebuffed.

It makes a mockery of those inclusive telephone deals which are bypassed with these numbers

Well I must really cool down now......................................ARRGGGHHHH!

IP Logged

zelig

Reply #85 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 2:13pm

For those interested, there is a letter in my local paper about this.  It can be accessed at www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk and scroll down to post bag.  My concern is that many of the people most affected namely people on a pension are unlikely to be users of the web and may not be able to sign the petition.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #86 - Dec 16th, 2007 at 10:49am

There are now 20274 signatures, and this link,(from the OP), now goes straight to the petition;-

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs/

Don't forget the deadline for signing is 15th February 2008.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #87 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 12:35pm

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #88 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 10:43am

It is now in the 8th place with 22091 signatures. A number of petitions above it are due to expire during January so that should push it up to well within the top 5 by the end of the month.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #89 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 12:03pm

Just over three weeks to go and there are now 25,139 signatures.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge