Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/2/08 (Read 135,222 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/
Reply #120 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 1:49am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Apr 4th, 2008 at 1:34am:
Unless this is helpful and/or entertaining for other members we must try to avoid personally focussed exchanges in the forum.

But as long as it is helpful and entertaining  to do so then we may continue. Correct?

I do not mean to personalise issues SCV but you always have had, ever since you came to the forum, and probably always will have I believe a quite different agenda from most of us in the forum.  Most noticeably you quite clearly attempt to take over as the leading activist on many of the forum's existing main issues and yet your views are frequently not fully in tune with those of the majority of the forum's more longstanding members.  That is bound to promote some areas of different opinion.

Contrary to what you say I have not declared our cause as utterly hopeless I merely think the chances of getting Ofcom to bring about justice on the issue at anything other than the point of the Parliamentary Ombudsman's, EU Commissioner's or Competitition Commissioner's guns are almost non existent.  We must therefore pursue the other avenues such as the last three mentioned.

You say you do not want to personalise the issues but then you accuse me of basically being defeatist.  It seems to me that you cannot have it both ways?

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #121 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 2:08am

I recall commending the efforts of one who fights on despite declaring much cause for despair. As for seeking to "take over" I do not recall ever challenging the right of others to express their contrary views in the forum. I have no "agenda". I explain my approach and perhaps commend it to others. As I said, it is for each to act and comment in whatever way we wish to. I have at times consulted moderators about the propriety of intended postings and am happy to submit to any determination that a posting is off-topic or otherwise invalid.

I believe that this forum had achieved a lot, long before I joined, and I hope to be part of further achievements. They may be modest in the context of the ultimate objectives that we share, but let us try to add to the small portion of the glass that is full, rather than contemplating the larger portion that is empty.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #122 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 12:38pm

As almost always NGM'sG you and I seem to concur. I am glad also to see that you seem to have finally come around now to my previously stated view that the only way in which Ofcom will ever be forced to cease their corrupt support of the telecommunications industry (and particularly BT) at the expense of the consumer, is through EU intervention. They will never otherwise exercise what is supposed to be their primary duty under the Acts - to protect the interests of the citizen consumer - with the vigour which ought to be at the heart of all their activities. As I have previously pointed out, this is the stupidity which comes out of privatising monopolies. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to implement any truly independent regulation where large amounts of revenue are at stake, human nature being what it is!

It ought to be clear to all observers by now that the present volte face is not the temporary situation which was originally claimed to be. Ofcom do not want to end chargeable call queuing on NGNs other than 09. Indeed there is even some evidence now emerging that there is a marked desire to increase the maximum permissible period of chargeable call queuing on 09, which has to some extent already been slyly done.

I still believe that Ofcom's intention now, unless there is EU intervention to prevent their skulduggery, is to gradually move all NGNs other than "freephone" (which is not always free!) and 03 to the new category of Premium numbers with chargeable call queuing permitted, under the auspices of PhonePayplus.

If they are not to be dissipated and wasted, all further campaign efforts must be directed to MEPs and the EU commissioner only. It has been pointless for quite some while having any further discourse with Ofcom, or wasting time participating in any of their sham "consultations", or playing any of their further games, deliberately designed to deceive and parry. As you point out NGM'sG, only those who have seen Ofcom's true profile over the years of deception (moulded by and allied to Lucifer himself) understand the position, and many of those coming new to the campaign are still easily deceived.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2008 at 12:45pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #123 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 4:11pm

dorf wrote on Apr 4th, 2008 at 12:38pm:
I still believe that Ofcom's intention now, unless there is EU intervention to prevent their skulduggery, is to gradually move all NGNs other than "freephone" (which is not always free!) and 03 to the new category of Premium numbers with chargeable call queuing permitted, under the auspices of PhonePayplus.
I'm not so sure.  I think that Ofcom dont actually want to do anything at all including any number migration.  With them not doing anything then their pals can carry on ripping of the general public without their knowledge in most cases.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #124 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 2:05pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Apr 3rd, 2008 at 5:47pm:
The Ofcom workplan for 2008/9, published today ...

An update to correct a typo has just been issued:

Quote:
Please note the Ofcom Annual Plan 2008/9 published on 3 April 2008 contained an error in the service delivery section regarding our Strategic Review of Numbering, paragraph 4.22 on page 44. The third bullet point should read:

"the meaning that certain types of numbers have for consumers – such as 0800 and 0500 numbers being associated with free calls – should be maintained;"

The statement has been updated to reflect this.

The corrected version of the Annual Plan 2008/9 can be found at: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/about/accoun/reports_plans/annual_plan0809/statement/

The error was to say:
Quote:
the meaning that certain types of numbers have for consumers – such as 0800
and 0300 numbers being associated with free calls – should be maintained

Sadly, due to Ofcom's neglect and the failure of the Cabinet Office in particular, 0300, or indeed 03xx, has no meaning at all to the vast majority of consumers.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #125 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 4:19pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Apr 9th, 2008 at 2:05pm:
Sadly, due to Ofcom's neglect and the failure of the Cabinet Office in particular, 0300, or indeed 03xx, has no meaning at all to the vast majority of consumers.

Careful SCV you are beginning to sound far too like myself and various other campaigners here who have been slowly worn down by Ofcom's and the government's cynical and incompetent approach on these matters over the last few years.

Surely you still have a Plan B that will ensure that you are successful in managing to slay the regulatory dragon. Wink Roll Eyes

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #126 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 4:53pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 9th, 2008 at 4:19pm:
Careful SCV ...

I feel no shame in sounding like those noble warriors who were sending emails trying to get Oftel and Ofcom to address the issue of NGNs properly for long before I got involved with these two organisations on this issue. I genuinely commend their continuing efforts, despite them having been worn down by achieving only limited success.

I too get worn down at times, but address this by lowering my expectations (although not my ambitions) and perhaps re-focusing my efforts.

I try to avoid discussing specific campaigning tactics in this public forum. In general terms, the fight goes on, even if success is achieved at a disappointingly slow rate and to an inadequate degree.

IP Logged

Flutty

NO to revenue sharing
on 08xx

Hampshire
Reply #127 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 1:21pm

15 years and still battling - I started my battle with Oftel in 1993 after my mother had a huge phone bill for telephoning the local police on a then 0990 number. I received written assurances that Oftel were looking into the matter and that they would resolve it soon. I have written to them repeatedly over the last 15 years, some of the excuses they come up with are just fairytales and I always find them so rude and condescending.
So I think you can understand the 'wearing down' that occurs, after all 15 years to solve a problem of their own making, by not 'policing' the numbering system, is just a joke.
Now they are still delaying, again through their own incompetence, what should happen is the executives be fined for not doing their job and Ofcom made to pick up any costs incurred by providers, at the present the cost are still being borne by the general public, which after 15 years is obscene.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #128 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 1:55pm

Flutty wrote on Apr 11th, 2008 at 1:21pm:
15 years and still battling - I started my battle with Oftel in 1993

Flutty,

I believe the only thing that the highly cynical, manipulative, devious and overpaid senior executive of Ofcom will ever take seriously is some form of legal challenge in the courts alleging that they are not fulfilling the duties given to them under the Communications Act 2003 by Parliament to look after the interests of UK citizens and UK consumers.

However I don't know what form such a legal challenge would take or how it could be mounted.

Its perfectly clear that Ofcom regards almost any other form of accountability for their corrupt and industry biased management of the UK phone numbering system as a joke and that they effectively simply sneer at the actions of the public and campaigners who try to make them take the corrective actions required to protect the interests of UK citizens and UK consumers.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2008 at 1:56pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #129 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 3:29pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 11th, 2008 at 1:55pm:
I don't know what form such a legal challenge would take or how it could be mounted.

All actions of public servants are open to judicial review. A fellow campaigner looked into this in the context of another Ofcom failure to fulfil its statutory duty. For obvious reasons, I cannot however discuss the detail of what was learned, and why this particular idea did not go ahead, in a public forum.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #130 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 11:05pm

http://www.politics.co.uk/opinion-formers/press-releases/opinion-former-index/bu...

BSIA lobbying leads to Ofcom rethink on 0870 regulation
Monday, 14 Apr 2008 17:32

<<
Lobbying by the British Security Industry Association and partner organisations on the regulation of calls to 0870 numbers has led to Ofcom no longer requiring telecoms networks to introduce pre-call announcements on 0870 calls.

BSIA Technical Director, Alex Carmichael, comments: "The changes proposed by Ofcom would have had major consequences for the intruder alarm industry and its customers. The big issue for the industry was the introduction of pre-call announcements on an 0870 number before the caller is connected. If this proposal had been implemented, security communications devices which use the 0870 range of numbers could well have 'timed-out' if a pre-call announcement was added and a recognised phone signal not heard. This could have resulted in alarm signals not getting through to the emergency services, with potentially life-threatening consequences."

"The BSIA has worked closely with Flextel and other key partner organisations to lobby Ofcom to rethink their plans. The news that pre-call announcements will no longer be added to 0870 numbers is an achievement for the security industry and demonstrates the value that this kind of lobbying work can bring."

Ofcom will explain their revised proposals on this issue in a statutory consultation document which will be published in the next few weeks.

Press contacts: Naomi Ocansey, 0845 389 0741, n.ocansey@bsia.co.uk
Kiri Gray, 0845 389 0755, k.gray@bsia.co.uk

Editor’s Notes
The British Security Industry Association is the trade association covering all aspects of the professional security industry in the UK. Its 570 members provide over 70% of UK security products and services and adhere to strict quality standards. For more information see www.bsia.co.uk, email info@bsia.co.uk or telephone 0845 389 3889
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #131 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 11:40pm

idb wrote on Apr 14th, 2008 at 11:05pm:
"The BSIA has worked closely with Flextel and other key partner organisations to lobby Ofcom to rethink their plans. The news that pre-call announcements will no longer be added to 0870 numbers is an achievement for the security industry and demonstrates the value that this kind of lobbying work can bring.">>

Shocked Angry Cry Smiley Smiley Smiley

What they don't admit is that major security firm ripoff artists like ADT (who provide my mother's burglar alarm) actually use 0871 numbers for their burglar alarm activation calls. Shocked

Fortunately my mother's system only makes a call in the rare event of an alarm activation but there are plenty of other burglar alarm systems that make an 0871 call every time the burglar alarm is simply set and unset.  And the customer doesn't even know 0871 is being used  until they get their phone bill.

Funny isn't it how Ofcom always listens to lobbying by the telecoms industry and yet completely ignores the views of thousands of citizen consumers. Roll Eyes

Congratulations on Ofcom on allowing these scammers to continue their highway robbery completely unconstrained.  Surely you should have told these assholes that they can only use geographic phone numbers to make such calls. Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2008 at 11:43pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #132 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 12:11am

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 14th, 2008 at 11:40pm:
"The BSIA has worked closely with Flextel and other key partner organisations to lobby Ofcom to rethink their plans. The news that pre-call announcements will no longer be added to 0870 numbers is an achievement for the security industry and demonstrates the value that this kind of lobbying work can bring.">>

Funny isn't it how Ofcom always listens to lobbying by the telecoms industry and yet completely ignores the views of thousands of citizen consumers.
Indeed; in fact tens of thousands of 'citizen consumers' signed the original 0870 PM petition. Many have responded to Ofcom 'consultations' over many years. At the last possible moment, corrupt Ofcom abandons its 0870 regulation due to some perceived 'health and safety' issue regarding PCAs whilst it conveniently overlooks more substantial h&s matters relating to, for example, the inability to terminate calls to GPs using 0844 numbering from overseas. The 'regulator' is a joke. The public/citizen consumer has made it clear that it is fed up with being scammed by premium rate numbers for everyday calls. Ofcom isn't interested. It's clearly a crooked organization and no one seems to be able to curtail its continuing abuse of the UK public.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #133 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 12:24am

<<
Ofcom will explain their revised proposals on this issue in a statutory consultation document which will be published in the next few weeks.
>>

Apart from the pre-announcement of the timing of the Ofcom consultation, this press release is little different to that posted here.

Let us hope that Ofcom has indeed abandoned the daft idea of allowing an opt-out from what it sees as necessary regulatory measures through use of pre-call announcements, even if it allows its partners to pre-announce its own actions. We await the consultation document with interest.

Charges made by the security industry, rip-off or otherwise, are a matter for trading standards. So long as all costs (e.g. those for sensing equipment, call outs, regular maintenance visits, telephone line rental and calls) are properly declared to the customer, I see no problem in alarm providers moving over to 0871 or even 09xx numbers if the revenue share is an important part of the commercial basis for their complete service offering.

Ofcom knew about the technical problems with pre-call announcements in 2005, let us hope that it has learned its lesson.

Perhaps we should say little more until the consultation is published if this is imminent, although a second hand reference to "the next few weeks" does not cause me to hold my breath.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #134 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 12:51am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Apr 15th, 2008 at 12:24am:
Let us hope that Ofcom has indeed abandoned the daft idea of allowing an opt-out from what it sees as necessary regulatory measures through use of pre-call announcements, even if it allows its partners to pre-announce its own actions. We await the consultation document with interest.

Charges made by the security industry, rip-off or otherwise, are a matter for trading standards. So long as all costs (e.g. those for sensing equipment, call outs, regular maintenance visits, telephone line rental and calls) are properly declared to the customer, I see no problem in alarm providers moving over to 0871 or even 09xx numbers if the revenue share is an important part of the commercial basis for their complete service offering.

Ofcom knew about the technical problems with pre-call announcements in 2005, let us hope that it has learned its lesson.

Perhaps we should say little more until the consultation is published if this is imminent, although a second hand reference to "the next few weeks" does not cause me to hold my breath.
Ofcom's primary duty is now clearly focused on preserving the revenue stream for NTS suppliers and end-users. It used the 'get out' clause regarding PCAs as a cynical move to allow the remaining major 0870 users to shift to 0844 as th Feb deadline wasn't sufficient for the likes of Sky and the banks. The alarm PCA so-called 'issue' was simply a smokescreen. NTS revenue will continue, albeit on an alternative number range. Ofcom is not interested in the public, and never has been with respect to NTS. It allows scams and abuses. It takes no account of public or even parliamentary pressure. It simply passes the problem to another entity which also has little if any interest in addressing the underlying problem.

It doesn't matter who one turns to - Ofcom, ASA, Trading Standards, parliament - NTS revenue is a key part of OCP, TCP and end-user business strategy. Ofcom's own research shows an increasing number of people, often within the lower income groups, reliant upon mobile telephones as their only means of using telephony. Ofcom continually states that customers have a choice. Well, if you happen to live in Norfolk, your only choice in the provision of local council services is through Norfolk Council - there is little point in contacting say, Kent County Council. I choose Norfolk as it is an example of a massive 0844 abuser. So, if you are reliant upon a mobile phone, and are of limited income, and happen to need to contact Norfolk CC, you will be ripped off at up to 40p/minute. For what reason? SImply to generate a merry-go-round of cash to be shared amongst telcos.

Wonderful stuff, and no-one can put a halt to it as no-one gives a toss.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge