Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/2/08 (Read 135,201 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/
Reply #135 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:18am

idb wrote on Apr 15th, 2008 at 12:51am:
... no-one can put a halt to it as no-one gives a toss.

So we keep on fighting :question

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #136 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:31am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Apr 15th, 2008 at 12:24am:
Let us hope that Ofcom has indeed abandoned the daft idea of allowing an opt-out from what it sees as necessary regulatory measures through use of pre-call announcements, even if it allows its partners to pre-announce its own actions. We await the consultation document with interest.

I think what you will find Ofcom now actually intend to do is merely to remove the requirement for those OCPs who decide not to charge 0870 calls on the same basis as 01/02/03 calls to give any form of pre-announcement at all about that fact.  I do not think there is any hope at all that crooked, deceitful and telco loving Ofcom will now do the right thing for uk citizen consumers by saying that as of say 1st July 2008 all 0870 calls will now be charged at geographic call rates by all OCPs full stop.

Quote:
So long as all costs (e.g. those for sensing equipment, call outs, regular maintenance visits, telephone line rental and calls) are properly declared to the customer, I see no problem in alarm providers moving over to 0871 or even 09xx numbers if the revenue share is an important part of the commercial basis for their complete service offering

And this in a nutshell SCV is why you clearly have absolutely no business sending out press releases representing yourself as being part of the saynoto0870 movement.  You are clearly not of the same mindset as most members of this campaign and remain as you have always been a one man campaign focused mainly only on achieving small pyrric victories based on regular compromises of almost Neville Chamberlin scale proportions purely so that you can then stick a feather in your hat and say that you SCV are a success and have achieved something you can pin your own name to.

The problem is that in reality most people do not understand the structure of UK phone tariffs at all (thanks to Ofcom) and that these calls that are made by hidden diallers are part of burglar alarm maintenance contracts that are usually highly immobile and very difficult indeed to move elsewhere (ADT the largest company has also now swallowed up huge numbers of their independent rivals).  Also if the fact that 0871 may be used is referred to at all in the contract it is in some microscopic paragraph of close set type print that almost no customer reads.  These hidden charges are most definitely not forced to be put up front to consumers before they sign the contract with them being told that they are likely to make around another £50 a year of payments to the burglar service by way of extra call charges that will appear on their BT phone bill

All these 0870 and 0871 calls on security equipment services have only one objective in mind.  That objective is to hide the real total cost of the product at the point of sale.  The point of using this method of pricing is to contravene Part III of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 by quite deliberately giving misleading price indications to consumers about the actual running cost of the service.

Phone calls should only be about the actual cost of moving the call from A to B and maintaining and improving the network that does that.  They should not be about hidden payments for goods and services.  09 calls are also currently immoral because they are not properly secured so that only the line subscriber can allow them to be accessed and they are a charter for theft by other people with access to the phone line.

I believe and I think most anti 084/7 campaigners believe that all these hidden payment mechanisms by merely dialling a phone number should be abolished in favour of transparent pricing where burglar alarm companies for instance charge the real quarterly monitoring cost on their own bill to customers in a format the consumer understands.  Part of the real cost of that contract should not be hidden in premium call charges on the customer's BT Phone Bill. The result of this is that consumers do not what they are paying and that cartel pricing sets in and the competitive forces of the marketplace that should make the consumer king or queen break down.

SCV Your views about NTS calls have never been at all logical, consistent or coherent ever since you decided to try and consume this website as part of your own one man whirlwind campaign and to alter the views of this campaign to fit in with your own hard to fathom sense of what is right and wrong on the matter (seemingly confined only to it being wrong to pay extra for calls to the health service and even then you seem to regularly have doubts on that point.)

Either come on board and oppose all NTS misuse like the rest of us or set up your own website dedicated only to opposing the use of 0844 numbers by doctors surgeries.

One of the particular features of this website's forum I have always enjoyed is the extraordinary commonality of mind between most of those who post.  Almost without exception all of us are on a moral crusade against what we regard as a clear cut case of scamming the consumer by hiding the real cost of phone calls. About the only other forum member who hasn't consistently felt that way is a troll we sometimes have to suffer with the number 9 in their forum name.

So SCV make up your mind and either sign up the objectives of this campaign or clear off and set up a campaign site of your own on 0844 doctors NTS numbers where you can also periodically doubt if even they are wrong.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008 at 9:39am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #137 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:38am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:18am:
... no-one can put a halt to it as no-one gives a toss.

So we keep on fighting :question
Indeed, but the fight is against an intrinsically crooked, incompetent, lethargic, ignorant and wholly useless organ of Her Maj's government. This organ also has an annual budget of in excess of a quater of a billion USD. What chance does the 'citizen-consumer' have? Little, if any, I suggest. There are simply too many external pressures on Ofcom to keep the cash circulating, from citizen-consumer to telcos to NTS users. When one looks at NTS from afar, it really is a wonderful tax - easy to collect, very lucrative, and almost impossible to obtain redress in case of errors as no-one cares. Amazingly, a Labour government is responsible for this whole shambolic situation - a government that I more than once voted for!

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #138 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 8:07am

idb wrote on Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:38am:
Amazingly, a Labour government is responsible for this whole shambolic situation - a government that I more than once voted for!

Perhaps time to vote for another government?  Roll Eyes

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #139 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 8:49am

jgxenite wrote on Apr 15th, 2008 at 8:07am:
Perhaps time to vote for another government?  Roll Eyes

It seems they are thinking of changing PM to Millibore before we get to the election.  Not that will make much difference as its actually their policies and the economic situation that people are upset about.  Frosty Gordon is merely the final icing on the cake.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #140 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 7:13pm

Well I have been waiting all day for the cavalry to ride over the top of the hill to SCV's defence but it seems that most people must agree with my position that SCV's radical view in respect of not opposing any NTS calls by commercial operators (as long as they tell you in tiny print in Clause 27 of the Terms & Conditions that you never had time to read that they want to rip you off when you call them) is not in tune with the sentiment of the forum membership as a whole.

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #141 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 8:29pm

No cavalry, no battle to fight, we are both on the same side.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #142 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 8:44pm

… Well, if you happen to live in Norfolk, your only choice in the provision of local council services is through Norfolk Council - there is little point in contacting say, Kent County Council. I choose Norfolk as it is an example of a massive 0844 abuser. So, if you are reliant upon a mobile phone, and are of limited income, and happen to need to contact Norfolk CC, you will be ripped off at up to 40p/minute. For what reason? SImply to generate a merry-go-round of cash to be shared amongst telcos.

And if you need to call Norfolk Constabulary, it will charge you too through its 0845 "revenue sharing" number.

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:31am:
I think what you will find Ofcom now actually intend to do is merely to remove the requirement for those OCPs who decide not to charge 0870 calls on the same basis as 01/02/03 calls to give any form of pre-announcement at all about that fact. …

Which will be another excuse for the Virgin Medias to increase the cost of these calls yet again. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #143 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 9:15pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Apr 15th, 2008 at 8:29pm:
No cavalry, no battle to fight, we are both on the same side.

Is that what they call a tactical retreat then SCV. I admit I was pretty harsh in some of my comments (perhaps unduly so to some extent) so I would have thought you would have been quick to spring to the defensive.  I know that nominally you have achieved a lot on Silent Calls but I do believe that you were always pushing at an open door there since you merely forced these operators to become less incompetent and more targeted in their cold call sales activity.  Ultimately you are driving down their operating costs and forcing them to only target those customers who are relatively happy to be sold to on the phone (thus where each call will now achieve a greater percentage chance of a positive sales outcome).

I will concede that you are much more effective at Parliamentary lobbying than the rest of us and that is where this camapign has been dilatory.  Indeed I now believe we should have considered a fringe group meeting at each of the major party conferences.  Perhaps there is still time for that this year as parliamentary sentiment is now beginning to run very high on these issues and Gordon's flat rate stealth taxes on the poor (of which 084/7 calls are one of his leading instruments) are now increasingly unpopular amongst his own backbenchers.

SCV I do not deny your undoubted ability to be an effective lobbyist but I am concerned about your underlying agenda and I have never quite and still do not fully understand that.  Especially given that some of your own commercial activities would appear to make you inherently more likely to show sympathy to the commercial side of the 084/7 call centre industry than the rest of us. Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008 at 11:01pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #144 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 10:25pm

Let no-one retreat from the campaign that we are fighting. Let us stop needless worrying about one another and focus on how we can each use our talents and apply our motivations to contribute most effectively to advance our shared objectives. Sometimes that does require pushing at an open door, a task for those who are more concerned about achieving results than earning awards for valour. There is plenty of room for both across the broad front that we are fighting on. I hope that we can all respect those who approach things differently to ourselves.

IP Logged

jimjim

Reply #145 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 6:50pm

Ofcom stated that they will update the 0870 situation in spring 2008.  No sign of it yet, what's the betting it will be yet another delay and more ineffective non-action.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #146 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 3:11pm

http://www.politics.co.uk/opinion-formers/press-releases/opinion-former-index/bu...

<<
BSIA lobbying leads to Ofcom rethink on 0870 regulation
Monday, 14 Apr 2008 17:32

Lobbying by the British Security Industry Association and partner organisations on the regulation of calls to 0870 numbers has led to Ofcom no longer requiring telecoms networks to introduce pre-call announcements on 0870 calls.

BSIA Technical Director, Alex Carmichael, comments: "The changes proposed by Ofcom would have had major consequences for the intruder alarm industry and its customers. The big issue for the industry was the introduction of pre-call announcements on an 0870 number before the caller is connected. If this proposal had been implemented, security communications devices which use the 0870 range of numbers could well have 'timed-out' if a pre-call announcement was added and a recognised phone signal not heard. This could have resulted in alarm signals not getting through to the emergency services, with potentially life-threatening consequences."

"The BSIA has worked closely with Flextel and other key partner organisations to lobby Ofcom to rethink their plans. The news that pre-call announcements will no longer be added to 0870 numbers is an achievement for the security industry and demonstrates the value that this kind of lobbying work can bring."

Ofcom will explain their revised proposals on this issue in a statutory consultation document which will be published in the next few weeks.

Press contacts: Naomi Ocansey, 0845 389 0741, n.ocansey@bsia.co.uk
Kiri Gray, 0845 389 0755, k.gray@bsia.co.uk

Editor’s Notes
The British Security Industry Association is the trade association covering all aspects of the professional security industry in the UK. Its 570 members provide over 70% of UK security products and services and adhere to strict quality standards. For more information see www.bsia.co.uk, email info@bsia.co.uk or telephone 0845 389 3889.
>>

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #147 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 3:39pm

Unless I'm missing something, surely just adding an exception for 'automated alarm system' is all that is needed. 

How can realising that take so long?

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

jimjim

Reply #148 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 5:30pm

Well another year over and still no response from OFCOM, what a joke.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2008 at 5:31pm by jimjim »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #149 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 6:00pm

jimjim wrote on Dec 31st, 2008 at 5:30pm:
Well another year over and still no response from OFCOM, what a joke.

Whilst this posting was well-timed for the normal close of business on 31 December, there did remain another 6 hours 30 minutes and one second in which the promise to make a further announcement before the end of this year could be fulfilled.

This comment is intended as a joke, the original posting is far from it. Ofcom has simply lost it on this one, I believe that this is due to incompetence rather than sinister motives but it comes to the same in the end.

Let us all hope for, as I wish all readers, a happier 2009.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge