Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/2/08 (Read 134,629 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Ofcom To Allow All 070 Abuses to Continue.....
Reply #150 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 4:59am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Dec 31st, 2008 at 6:00pm:
Ofcom has simply lost it on this one, I believe that this is due to incompetence rather than sinister motives but it comes to the same in the end.

No they are not incompetent at all.  They are instead conscienceless and careerist civil servants doing the bidding of the powers that be and that powers that be do not want the 084/7 gravy train or any other NTS gravy trains to be derailed.  Ofcom may fool you that they are incompetent but they are not incompetent but doing precisely what their political master wish.  Why else do you think when numerous MPs ask questions in Parliament and put down EDMs on these issues every month that nothing ever changes.

Read my response on the 070 Ofcom consultation that closed last night (which following time honoured Ofcom tradition actually means up to about a week later in terms of when responses may still be accepted, especially if your name is Flextel) and their complete u-turn on all their earlier promises to end 070 abuses in the face of lobbying from their chums in the telecoms industry.

Now I don't suppose you bothered to submit a response to this consultation did you SCV? Wink Roll Eyes

See www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1230941929
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2009 at 5:00am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

strongp

London
Re: IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/
Reply #151 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 6:05pm

I’ve ploughed through a massively complicated thread, but shouldn’t it all be quite simple? All that is required is for consumers to have a transparent charging system, so that they know what they are going to pay for calls and can then make an informed choice if, for instance, they see an ISP provides an 09 support line.

My irritation is in the fact that the numbering is so unclear – so I can call an 07 number and pay a mobile call rate EXCEPT if I’ve spotted it’s an 070, in which case it will cost me my firstborn son.

Here’s my top tip for 2007

01/02 National
03 VOIP
07 Mibile (as for 070 – find em and shoot em)
087/084 Local/Nation non Geographical
09 Premuim rate to be advertised

At least my mum would have a chance of understanding this…

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #152 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 6:24pm

strongp wrote on Jan 10th, 2009 at 6:05pm:
Here’s my top tip for 2007

Come up to date strongp we are in 2009 now!!!! Grin

In any case 03 numbers are charged the same as 01 & 02

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #153 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 5:34pm

When BT announced its changes to include 0870 in packages on Thursday, we wondered if the log-jam had cleared. BT confirmed that it expected implementation of the changes to be imminent, however Ofcom made no comment.

Today we do have a development on a linked issue, but again Ofcom, whilst acknowledging the link, has no further comment to offer.

The 0870 changes depend on resolution of a dispute concerning the termination rates that BT pays other operators who terminate calls to 0870 numbers (the "0870" case). BT announced a reduction in these rates so as to comply with the proposed Ofcom requirement for 0870 calls to be charged as for geographic calls, which was disputed. The Ofcom resolution for this case used a method used in another case, which concerned termination rates on calls to mobiles.

As this "mobiles case" had been appealed, Ofcom could not proceed to implement the proposed resolution of the "0870 case". The "mobiles case" was heard by the CAT, which ruled the method used to be invalid. The CAT subsequently gave guidance on how the method should be altered.

Today, a new case has been announced - CW/01008/12/08. This is simply to cover implementation of the resolution of the "mobiles" case" (which had been formally closed), as directed by the CAT.

The assumption was that the method used here could be applied to provide a resolution for the "0870 case", so the log-jam could be cleared. I have been told that there is no indication of any movement in the "0870 case", and that this is only one of a number of issues that are preventing any further action being taken with the implementation of the new 0870 regulations.

It could be that the CAT has only directed how the specific elements of the "mobiles case" should be resolved, rather than offering an alternative methodology that may be applied more broadly. (This is my speculation, I could not obtain confirmation of this point.) If I am right, then Ofcom could be said to be well and truly scr**ed, unless it can extrapolate what the CAT would regard as an acceptable method for other cases from the resolutions directed in the "mobiles case".

If the other telcos are determined to obstruct progress with the 0870 changes, as must be clear, then any attempt to press a resolution of the 0870 termination rates case would take Ofcom straight back to the CAT.

A circulated update message on 6 October 2008 stated, "Ofcom aims to publish a further statement on implementing any changes to 0870 policy by the end of the year."

Ofcom's updated work plan has a statement scheduled for Q3 (i.e. by the end of January 2009).

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #154 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 5:37pm

I suspect OfcoN may not go ahead with planned 0870 changes stating things like now that BT include these calls for their customers on inclusive plans and fact that majority of companies using 0870 have reduced a lot, the "detriment" on us consumers isnt as much!

It's not the first time they have done a u-turn on one of their decisions and it wont be the last I suspect!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #155 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 11:25pm

bbb_uk wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 5:37pm:
I suspect OfcoN may not go ahead with planned 0870 changes

Unless I have misunderstood this situation, BT would be furious if this were to happen, as it has predicated its "giveaway" on these changes coming into effect swiftly.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #156 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 11:58am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 11:25pm:
bbb_uk wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 5:37pm:
I suspect OfcoN may not go ahead with planned 0870 changes

Unless I have misunderstood this situation, BT would be furious if this were to happen, as it has predicated its "giveaway" on these changes coming into effect swiftly.

To be honest, who would care if "BT would be furious if this were to happen" ?

They don't care about their customers, why should anyone care about them?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #157 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 4:50pm

derrick wrote on Jan 14th, 2009 at 11:58am:
They don't care about their customers, why should anyone care about them?

I was not expressing concern for BT's feelings possibly being hurt.

BT clearly does care about the behaviour of its customers, as it seeks to influence it. We should care about BT on the same basis. In the same way, BT and Ofcom each "care" about one another.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #158 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 6:20pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 14th, 2009 at 4:50pm:
In the same way, BT and Ofcom each "care" about one another.
I think BT, VM, other CPs and Ofcon all "care" about one another a lot going by the fact that Ofcon doesnt want to (or unable to) to do anything that is in the public's interest - instead mostly staying on the side of CPs (including OCPs).  lol

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #159 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 6:47pm

This may have been mentioned before, nice work if you can get it. See....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/42287...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge