Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
GP contract revised - "expensive" numbers banned (Read 173,474 times)
sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: GP contract revised - "expensive" numbers bann
Reply #60 - May 23rd, 2011 at 8:26am

I wrote to my MP  three years ago and what a waste of time that was. He sent my letter  to John Hutton who was the the Labour Secretary of State for Business Enterprise and Regulatory Reform at the time and he got one of his civil servants to write  me a letter which was full of inaccuracies, at that point I gave up.

See here

http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1136294819/90#90

Reply #90
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2011 at 8:28am by sherbert »  

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #61 - May 23rd, 2011 at 9:39am

I can see your point and of course it is entirely up to you weather you act or not

But I believe that we have to keep going until we get the desired result

Dan Jarvis MP is a different person in a different time he may be a load of rubbish but we won't know until we try

I started a project 4 years ago, everybody said it would never work "118FREE" I am now at provisional launch stage having carried out the relevant tests.

The pilot starts in Barnsley in June; the moral is keep going if you can if one door shuts kick down another
It is not my intention to upset anybody I just have self belief, keep going until you can't go any more or until all avenues have been exhausted

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #62 - May 23rd, 2011 at 10:51am

There is a simple point to put to MPs and that is that the ban should be enforced.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #63 - May 25th, 2011 at 12:51pm

Re my last post - Could it be that the PCTs are failing to crack down because with the current reorganisation of the health service, with PCTs likely to be wound up and their roles transferred to GP consortiums, it is not in the interest of PCT employees to enforce the rules when they will be looking to apply for positions with the same GPs or potential unemployment.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #64 - May 25th, 2011 at 2:34pm

Hi Keith

You could have a valid point there, by coincidence I received a letter from Dan Jarvis today and it all seems that it is in the hands of the individual doctor’s practices

The minister in question did reiterate that it is the responsibility of the PCT but as you rightly state they probably will not be here so then it will be down to the individual doctors practice to manage themselves so to speak, all of our work and canpaigning may have been in vain after all

Baz

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #65 - May 25th, 2011 at 3:27pm

Have I missed something?

Is the point of the GP's contract being revised that the call should cost NO more then a geographic call? Did I get that part right?

If so I have proven calls to 0844 numbers DO cost more then a geographic call, and therefore their are in breach of said contract. PCT's have to Act as does our current government.

Imagine if we ALL qeued unwell at our local Dr's to make an appointment as we refused to pay such rates to call in!

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #66 - May 25th, 2011 at 4:27pm

CJT-80

The point is they are not 'acting' and nobody is making them 'act'.

The fact they are in clear breach is irrelevant.

The govt says it is up to the PCTs. The Doctor surgeries make a patently untrue claim that the cost is no more than a local call which any idiot can see is not true and the PCTs shrug their shoulders.

Nothing will happen.

If what bazzerfewi has been told is true then the Doctors will be regulating themselves.

If it is any consolation my wife is a Doctor and she doesn't approve and I'm aware of at least one Consultant who is outraged by this.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #67 - May 25th, 2011 at 6:51pm

It's a small consolation.

If the Government is allowed to sweep through reforms, and the PCT's have little or no power we will be in a much worser situation than we are in now.

In the current economic climate why should we be expected to pay such costs to call the NHS?? As far as it has been stated it should be "free at point of use"

Well if I call to have a telephone consultation, and I am given one, I have PAID for the information which goes against this ethos!

I am not going to sit here and let them win, I will do what I can to complain, starting with the DoH Ministers and our Prime and Deputy Prime Minsters!

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #68 - May 25th, 2011 at 7:17pm

I wouldn't bother with the Deputy Prime Minister, I don't think he knows what day of the week it is Grin Grin

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #69 - May 25th, 2011 at 11:32pm

In today's Wokingham Times :----

Premium rate numbers to call the doctor

http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/s/2093141_premium_rate_numbers_to_call_the_do...

Patients calling some Wokingham GP surgeries are being forced to dial premium-rate phone numbers to book an appointment. .......
Campaigners have been battling against the use of premium-rate numbers by GPs since 2009, saying they are unfair to patients .......
National phone charges campaigner David Hickson identified six surgeries in West Berkshire which were using 0844 or 0845 numbers including Cedar House Surgery in Finchampstead, Chalfont Close, Earley, and Brookside Close, Earley. .........
A member of the NAG, who asked not to be named in case it affected his treatment at the surgery, said: “There was an elderly lady that I know who was recently complaining to me that she had tried to make an appointment for her husband who has Parkinson’s and it had cost her £7 just to make an appointment.” ........
“NHS Berkshire West has been corresponding with practices regarding this issue to ensure that people are not paying more than they have to.”

Some comments published below this article :----

Try http://www.saynoto0870.com/numbersearch.php
Clive Counsell
24/05/2011 at 19:44 Offensive or Inappropriate?

My wife is severely disabled and housebound. She has a many health issues and phones the surgery quite often. As she is housebound we have bought an extra package from the telephone provider so that we have 24 hours national and local calls free so that she can call at any-time of the day without too much fear of having a large telephone bill but ... 084x numbers are not free.

When we get the phone bill, the largest call cost is due calls to the surgery!
Gary, Wokingham
24/05/2011 at 13:11 Offensive or Inappropriate?

In the main GPs surgeries are used by people local to the area, this being the case surgeries should by law be required to provide a local telephone number for patients to phone. Many telephone companies are including the price of local land line calls in their connection charges effectivelly giving subscibers free phone calls. In all honesty do doctors need to rely on extorting money from patients to run their business?
William Richards
24/05/2011 at 13:06 Offensive or Inappropriate?

Many GP's have turned into a greedy bunch of money grabbers. It used to be a vocation - now they are little better than bankers!
4-4-2 and you win
24/05/2011 at 12:49 Offensive or Inappropriate?

A very poor response bty the PCT which says it "has been corresponding with practices" instead of ensuring that patients are not overcharged for their phone calls to NHS GPs. When is the PCT actually going to do something about this outrageous GP behaviour. There is absolutely no doubt that 0844 calls cost more than normal geographic calls and yet the PCT fails to take action.

As for the behaviour of these GPs it is unethical and untruthful to pretend that they are not causing extra costs to patients. Where are their morals and principles? Is this an example of the principleas they will apply when the Government hands over control to GPs opf 80% of the NHS expenditure? God help the NHS and all patients once the GPs are given such responsibility.
George Kelly
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2011 at 11:41pm by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #70 - May 25th, 2011 at 11:39pm

In today's Bracknell News and on-line in "Get Bracknell" :---

Premium rate numbers to call the doctor
By Caroline Cook
May 24, 2011

http://www.getbracknell.co.uk/news/s/2093157_premium_rate_numbers_to_call_the_do...

People trying to call their GP for an appointment could be paying up to 41p per minute for their calls despite recent legislation banning surgeries from charging more than the local rate.  ............

And some campaigners say the cost runs into several pounds if people are forced to wait in a queuing system.
Five Bracknell surgeries are still using 0844 numbers which are capable of charging premium prices for calls depending on if someone is calling from a mobile phone or a landline. ............

Birch Hill Medical Centre in Bracknell and Great Hollands Health Centre in Bracknell were also using 0844 numbers although both have automated messages advising callers that they are not being charged more than if they were calling a geographical number. Both messages advise that mobile costs will be higher. ..........................

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #71 - May 26th, 2011 at 10:22am

I am afraid this is just par for the course in terms of the contractor system.  Ever since a previous Government, many years ago, introduced the system of "contracting out" services, this has been a problem.  If you complain to anyone who contracts out services, be it your local council or a hospital eg for cleaning services, about the service delivery, all you are likely to be told is that "it will be brought to the contractors' attention" or "the breach isn't big enough to terminate the contract" - and let's face it, termination of the contract would be the only sanction.  And what would happen even if PCTs did terminate contracts, areas could be left without GP cover (I know that GPs might comply when issued the threat but if they all stood out against it and called the bluff of PCTs what then?)  This is like far too much in this country, rules exist about things which are supposed to protect the consumer/user/employee but NO ONE is willing/able to enforce the regulations.  Unless & until a Government sets up regulatory bodies which truly independent and are REQUIRED to enforce the rules and given real teeth to do so, I fear nothing will change, the only hope is to shame some of these bodies and I suspect they have very little capacity for shame unless hit in their pockets.  For example, off message but pertinent, I recently wanted to complain to BT but via email so I had a copy, no email address, contacted OFCOM, even they have no email address for BT!!!!   I also have a complaint about Royal Mail but Postwatch who used to take up customer complaints, has been abolished & Royal Mail now police themselves - or not as the case may be!

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #72 - May 26th, 2011 at 11:30am

Another comment on the "GetWokingham" website.   This person makes a strong point :---

http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/s/2093141_premium_rate_numbers_to_call_the_do...

As real local calls are included in a call package, they cost nothing, this makes any chargeable call infinitely more expensive.

There has been guidance and advice for years telling doctors to get off these numbers but they continue to ignore us. It is time that there was a legal requirement that they use either a free number or a geographic number with no other exceptions.

There is a suggestion that these numbers are used because of the added value of special services, this is not the case, all services could be made available on any number, it is just that those services are funded by the additional charges paid by callers.

Now where is that website for writing to your MP..

Wiztwas, Binfield
26/05/2011 at 09:06

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #73 - May 26th, 2011 at 7:33pm

hi

the following link gives you the details to contact your MP, I use in on a regular basis

http://www.writetothem.com/

Dan Jarvis Barnsley Central MP is assisting me with this campaign

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
More surgeries moving to 0844 numbers
Reply #74 - May 28th, 2011 at 7:31pm

http://www.mandevillesurgery.co.uk/

Quote:
New Telephone Number

0844  387 8383

Please note that calls from some mobile providers may cost more, however calls from fixed lines should cost the same as previously.

Please check with your phone provider for further information.

http://www.attenboroughsurgery.co.uk/t54149.html?a=0

Quote:
Attenborough Surgery
Bushey Health Centre
New Telephone Number
Tel: 0844 387 8633
Fax: 0844 387 8634
From 7th March 2011

http://www.ravenswoodmedicalpractice.co.uk/
Quote:
From Wednesday 1st December 2010 our number will be changing to:

0844 387 8008

The decision to move to an 084 telephone number has been made by the Practice after a great deal of discussion and deliberation, we looked at all available options for  how we can best improve the current  telephone and associated facilities to our patients and importantly continue to improve the quality of our services to our patients. The 084 company that we have chosen have demonstrated to the Department of Health and to ourselves that:-
  • For all patient calls, our local GP number will not be more expensive to call than using an ordinary number.
  • More than 4.5 million patients use a 084 number to contact their GP surgery every month.
  • GP surgeries do not profit from 084 numbers.
  • The use of a 084 number has the support of the Department of Health and the British Medical Association

Should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact:-
Nigel Dransfield – Practice Manager.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge