Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print
GP contract revised - "expensive" numbers banned (Read 173,493 times)
bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Re: GP contract revised - "expensive" numbers bann
Reply #75 - May 29th, 2011 at 7:27am

24 HOUR A DAY ROBBERY

I think this is disgusting which ever way they attempt to disguise it 0844 numbers are still premium rate numbers and those patients that only use a mobile are paying a fortune.

Are we ever going to be able to do anything to sop this daylight robbery?
The worst thing of all is that they try and justify it.

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #76 - May 29th, 2011 at 11:06am

bazzerfewi wrote on May 29th, 2011 at 7:27am:
I think this is disgusting which ever way they attempt to disguise it 0844 numbers are still premium rate numbers and those patients that only use a mobile are paying a fortune.

Indeed. All calls carry the premium, irrespective of whether the charge is BT's (regulated) abnormally low charge of 4.084 pence per minute or T-Mobile's 41 pence per minute. For more on this, see my blog: How do 084x numbers work?

bazzerfewi wrote on May 29th, 2011 at 7:27am:
The worst thing of all is that they try and justify it.

This is not the worst thing. Any organisation which uses these numbers is fully entitled to justify its decision if its so chooses (or perhaps if it feels the need to).

What is the worst thing is the lie that "For all patient calls, our local GP number will not be more expensive to call than using an ordinary number". Ravenswood Medical Practice says that the company which supplies its new phone system has demonstrated that this is the case but provides no supporting evidence for this very dubious claim.

It also chooses to refer to the premium Business Rate number as a "local GP number".

Had it given qualification to the work "all", that it excludes certain tariffs, then it would be clear to see what game this practice is playing. If it has evidence that its current and future patient-base does not (and will not) subscribe to any of these tariffs, then it should present it.

These are the daytime rates with some landline providers:
Tariff Geographic/03 ("Ordinary number") 0844 387 [g11] ("Local GP number")
BT Unlimited Weekend/Unlimited E&W
BT Unlimited Anytime
Virgin Media - all except Talk Unlimited
Virgin Media - Talk Unlimited
Sky Talk Freetime
Sky Talk Unlimited
Post Office Homephone
TalkTalk UK Evening & Weekend
TalkTalk Anytime
Those in green show the cheapest and the ones in red show the most expensive for each respective tariff.

It is interesting that these surgeries are now adopting g11 0844 numbers which are one down from the top type, g6, which they used to be moving to.

This table rather suggests that they choose not acknowledge that patients have inclusive packages. The 'per minute' cost of calls is that high that it is worthwhile to switch to an inclusive package if only a few calls are made. That is, to get to the break even point between non-inclusive paid-for (per minute) calls and the additional charge to have calls inclusive requires very very few calls to be made.

A 'per minute' geographic rate is therefore a penalty for making such calls outside of the times of inclusivity.

I won't even bother comparing call charges with mobiles because they all charge more for 0844 calls!

So, as I say, the "all" does not include a number of patients, but this practice chooses not to mention this, which makes its statement misleading due to the sheer size of this group.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2011 at 1:54pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #77 - May 30th, 2011 at 5:41pm

I wonder whether the "Patient Participation Group" at Ravenscroft had anything to say about the matter. There's nothing on the latest minutes (May) and I couldn't find minutes for any previous meetings. The lie about no patient calls costing more must surely be challenged. I don't know what percentage of patients use mobiles to call that surgery but round here I reckon it's over 50%. I am staggered that surgeries are still entering into new contracts to provide 0844 numbers, even after the toothless "ban" came into effect.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #78 - May 30th, 2011 at 8:16pm

"I don't know what percentage of patients use mobiles to call that surgery but round here I reckon it's over 50%"

And most of the rest will use landline inclusive packages of some sort or other.

The percentage for whom the cost will not be more will be minuscule.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #79 - May 30th, 2011 at 9:11pm

There is a report in today's Western Mail:

Patients pay higher call charges for out of hours care

Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board is replacing its 0845 out of hours number with a 03 one in July.

Quote:
A spokeswoman for Aneurin Bevan Health Board said: “Our GP out of hours services currently operate 0845 numbers charged at the local rate.”

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #80 - May 31st, 2011 at 6:35am

If the law states that calls to a Doctors surgery should not cost more than a local call can this be legally challenged.

I am not qualified to comment on the law, is there anybody that may know a way to take these surgeries to task. It is my intention to meet with the local M P Dan Jarvis as he has offered to assist in the misuse of 08 numbers

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #81 - May 31st, 2011 at 9:47am

loddon wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 11:39pm:
In today's Bracknell News and on-line in "Get Bracknell" :---

Premium rate numbers to call the doctor
By Caroline Cook
May 24, 2011

http://www.getbracknell.co.uk/news/s/2093157_premium_rate_numbers_to_call_the_do...

Birch Hill Medical Centre in Bracknell and Great Hollands Health Centre in Bracknell were also using 0844 numbers although both have automated messages advising callers that they are not being charged more than if they were calling a geographical number. Both messages advise that mobile costs will be higher. ..........................

These are lies then.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #82 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 10:06am

I've sent (very polite) emails to two of the recent GP surgery's to move to 0844 numbers - No surprise that they have ignored me.

I have also followed up with my local PCT. I am awaiting a full reply, but their acknowledgement from their complaints officer was (I think) possibly illuminating:

"I will look into your concerns about the 0844 numbers and reply to you when I know more"

Could it be that although this is high on our priority list this is just one of too many issues they are dealing with and low in priority on their "to do" list.

I (probably unreasonably) assumed they would know all about the issue and have a policy and plan.

Could this be why we keep seeing the standard replies from the PCTs in the press when it hits the newspapers; paraphrasing - provided it costs no more than a local call it is ok. A correct and easy reply, but of course if they actually checked the cost (which takes effort) they would see their GPs are breaking this rule. Stating the rule is easy and takes no time; checking it is true and doing something about it when you find out it isn't takes a lot of effort.

It could just be the PCTs are over worked (as most of us are) and this does not come high enough on their to do list.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #83 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:04am

A new interactive map of charging GPs right across the UK has been drawn up. This blogging explains it, as well as the inner-workings of 084 numbers and why they contravene the NHS' policy of free at the point of need:

http://nhspatient.blogspot.com/2011/06/nhs-gps-using-expensive-telephone.html

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #84 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 11:37am

Please find below my email correspondence with Surrey PCT. Their reply is very informative. See my reply to their reply in the next post.
________ 

Hello xxx, you probably don't remember me but we spoke several years ago
regarding this topic.

As I know you will be aware the new rules came into play in April re the GPs use of
0844 numbers.

The response (at least from what one can gather from the press and internet) from
most PCTs regarding this matter appears to be disappointing.

Most PCTs seem to state that as long as GPs using 08xx numbers ensure the cost
is no more than that of a local call they are free to continue. If the GPs claim this is
so then no further action appears to be taken, even though the evidence regarding
the cost is clearly contrary to this statement.

Those of us campaigning against the use of 08xx clearly would not be campaigning
if it were true that the calls did not cost more (what would be the point?)

However I haven't heard anything regarding the Surrey PCT and as a Surrey
resident I thought it appropriate to ask your position. I hope it is different from other
PCTs, but as I haven't seen our local GPs changing from their 08xx numbers I would
appreciate knowing your position.

Tables have been produced (I can direct you if you wish) comparing all operators
local costs to 08xx costs which clearly show the difference in cost. However one
need not go into that detail. Three simple glaring examples exist which cover the
vast majority of the population namely:

* Landline users with inclusive packages of one sort or another (how many landline
users don't have such packages?)

* Mobile phone uses with inclusive packages

* PAYG mobile users.

All 3 of these users pay significantly higher costs.

The transfer to the equivalent 03xx is straightforward without any loss of functionality.

The poorest in society are those worst hit by the use of the 08xx numbers. For me it
is annoying, but for someone on a very low income using a payphone or PAYG
mobile it can cost several desperately needed pounds just to make that call.

Regards Keith.

xxx,

Just looking for a response re the attached email.

Clearly 0844 numbers cost more to call from:

a) all landlines with inclusive packages
b) all mobiles with inclusive packages
c) most mobile PAYG phones
d) all payphones
e) some non inclusive package landlines.

That puts GPs using 0844 numbers in breach of the rules.

In the case of c) and d) this impacts the poorest in society hardest with the biggest
cost.

What is the position of Surrey PCT regarding this please?

Regards Keith

xxxx,

Any response yet please re my email on the use of 08xx numbers by GPs please?

Can I draw your attention to the following link (you may need to copy and paste into
your browser if the whole link is not highlighted when you receive this email)

http://nhspatient.blogspot.com/2011/06/nhs-gps-using-expensive-telephone.html

From this link you can obtain a list of the cost of all 08xx numbers operated by GPs
which is compared to the price of using an 01/02/03 number for all telephone
providers and all packages.

It also provides a list (and map) of all GPs using 0844 numbers and as you can see
a number are in Surrey.

It is now 2 months since GPs should have ceased using such number (they can very
easily and readily convert to the equivalent 03xx number). This delay costs patients;
in particular the most vulnerable and least well off.

Those worse affected are the poorest in society, those that have to make frequent
appointments and those that use payphones or PAYG mobiles.

Sadly a significant number fall into all 3 categories. Those that can least afford it
should not be forced to pay so much to make an appointment to see their GP.

Regards Keith.

Dear Keith

I write further to your email regarding the use of 0844 numbers in GP surgeries.

Following the recent Department of Health update on the guidance for use of these
numbers (attached), NHS Surrey conducted an audit of all 137 GP surgeries with
whom we have contracts.  Of the surgeries that declared that they still use 0844
numbers (total 14) most are compliant with the Department of Health Guidelines.
Some are looking to change back to a geographical number (i.e. 01483) and one,
which is not compliant but bound to a contract with their phone supplier has been
informed by our Contracting and Commissioning team that they cannot renew the
contract in the future and until then must offer to ring patients back at their own cost.
I can also confirm that all but one surgery (the latter one) do not make a profit from
using these numbers.

Our understanding of the guidance issued by the Department of Health is that no
call to a surgery should cost more than the local geographical number for that area.
We fully appreciate and sympathise with those patients who have telephone
packages that allow free local calls, however, it is very difficult to ascertain the
variation of tariffs available to individuals. If a patient believes they have been
charged more than the local rate and can provide evidence in the form of their
phone bill, the PCT can, and will, challenge the surgery from a contractual point of
view and assist wherever possible to resolve the situation for the patient.

I hope this answers your queries.

Yours sincerely

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #85 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 11:38am

Thank you xxxx, much appreciated.

a) You say "it is very difficult to ascertain the variation of tariffs available to
individuals". I refer you to the link I supplied yesterday. That provides a table
showing the cost of 0844 and 0845 numbers for all packages from all suppliers and
comparing to the cost of 01/02/03 numbers.

So the comparison is readily available and it is clear that no 0844 number can
comply. How do you come to the conclusion that 13 of the 14 do comply?

Do you just take the GPs or their suppliers word for it or do you check what they tell
you re the cost? Any check is very simple indeed.

b) Re the one that doesn't comply, you say "...and until then must offer to ring
patients back at their own cost."

This really doesn't help much as the majority of the cost of the call is going through
the menu system and waiting on hold, so the call back will only save a very small
portion of the cost. The patient still incurs the vast majority of the cost.

Also anyone who has implemented an 0844 number can very quickly convert it to its
equivalent 0344 using the same provider. There will be a cost to the GP surgery as
the revenue generating element of the call will be lost so the supplier will want to
make up this shortfall, but that will happen anyway when the contract comes to an
end and it is wrong that the patients should foot this bill until the end of the contract.
They do not have to wait until the contract comes to an end.

I look forward to your further feedback.

Thank you, Keith.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #86 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 11:55am

Sorry additional reply from me (point that I missed)

Sorry xxx I missed the point where you said "I can also confirm that all
but one surgery (the latter one) do not make a profit from using these
numbers. "

This can not be correct. 0844 numbers are revenue generating. The GPs
may not be taking income in the form or revenue from the calls, but will be
taking a discount on the cost in some way. From both an accounting and
cash point of view this is exactly the same thing. It effects the profit figure
in exactly the same way.

Logic must tell you this is the case. If not why implement an 0844 number
in the first place? Why would it cost them more to implement an 0344
number. The difference in cost is the profit they will be losing.

Keith.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #87 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 10:23am

Chichester Smiles Dental Practice changed to a 0844 387 (g11) number around a year ago.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Kelvedon Surgery to abandon its 0844 number
Reply #88 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 8:55am

Story from Braintree & Witham Times:

GP surgery changes its number amid complaints

This shows that it can be done!
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2011 at 8:56am by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #89 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 1:18pm

Dave wrote on Jun 14th, 2011 at 10:23am:
Chichester Smiles Dental Practice changed to a 0844 387 (g11) number around a year ago.

Although NHS Dentists were covered by the ban on 0870 numbers introduced in February 2005, they are not covered by the ban on "expensive" 084 numbers announced in September 2009.

For those following developments on this front there is some recent news to be found here

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge