Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print
101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police Forces (Read 275,222 times)
Barbara
Supreme Member

Re: 101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police For
Reply #15 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:38am

Re post No 10, no, police forces do not pay car parking or travel costs BUT if one needed to travel one would use the phone (to a geo no of course!!); I am talking about walking ito one's local police station to be of assistance to the police in some way eg reporting illegal activity, handing in lost valuables etc.  There are plans in some areas to site police offices of some kind in other buildings perhaps libraries where they still exist - how would 101 work then?  In other areas, there are only mobile numbers for beat officers, again expensive & unacceptable, and beat officers are generally PCSOs who, while I have not doubt of their expertise and commitment, have no powers of arrest so are of limited value.   What is needed is direct contact with local police officers who know the area and have full powers without cost to the caller.

I do take the point in to other post about the need for a single number one could ring when in an unfamiliar area, in which case one is far more likely to be using a mobile phone at an even greater cost, but why could that not be on the same basis as 999 ie not charged to the caller?   After all, the police keep stressing they can only do their job with th help of the public, that situation is only going to become more relevant with the cuts in police officer numbers, why should the public be charged to be helpful??

IP Logged

sergeant121

Have you noticed how many
politicians are lawyers?

Reply #16 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:54am

Barbara wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:38am:
In other areas, there are only mobile numbers for beat officers, again expensive & unacceptable, and beat officers are generally PCSOs who, while I have not doubt of their expertise and commitment, have no powers of arrest so are of limited value.   What is needed is direct contact with local police officers who know the area and have full powers without cost to the caller.

Lazy officers are probably still called 'uniform carriers' and Special Constables 'Hobby Bobbies' but Blunkett's policing on-the-cheap PCSOs are something else.

Unfortunately, they appear to always be allowed/told to patrol in pairs and are paid two-thirds the salary of a real PC (hence, 2 PCSOs = one and a third PCs) despite having almost no real powers.
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:04am by sergeant121 »  

How can you tell when a lawyer's lying?  His (or her) lips move.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #17 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 12:38pm

There are some very good points being made about policing policy in this discussion.

The idea of making all calls to the police, and perhaps other public services, "free to caller" is interesting. Any proponents should however address the implications for the defecit, levels of general taxation or redirection of existing budgets. (If efficiency savings could be made to release funds for this, then they must be made anyway, regardless of what is done about telephone call charges. I address the possibity of "Telecoms footing the bill" above.)

One of the other arguments for not setting a zero rate for calls to 101, is the disincentive for nuisance (prank) calls. There should now be evidence to indicate how effective this is by comparing the proportion of such calls to the 101 services that have been in place for some times with those for the 999 service. This does not provide a justification for any particular level of charge by itself. If however, it can be shown that a justifiable charge on callers saves the public cost of agents being tied up on improper calls, then it can add weight to the argument in favour of the cost of the service being met in part by callers, rather than taxpayers (or telephone users) in general.

We must also remember that we are only (generally) talking about meeting the cost of connecting the calls over the telephone network. We are not talking about paying for the call centre where they are handled, to make the service totally self-funding.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:03pm

The publication of a single non-emergency number (either for each force or for each all forces) would seem to be the best solution as the main non-emergency communication channel.

This thread is speculating on the latest announcement. Has it been assumed that the statement by the OP that "all" non-emergency calls will go through 101 will mean that every last one will do? I am not so sure that this will mean that local police station numbers will no longer be publicised. From my work looking at police non-emergency numbers, some forces publish divisional numbers and others don't. This policy would appear at present to be decided by each individual force. So does this latest announcement bring this to an end?

Most police forces have a single non-emergency number. Perhaps the 101 number will be answered in the same way (from an operational point of view). Again, I understand that single non-emergency numbers don't always go through to one single location; evidently this is another matter which is decided at local (force) level.

IP Logged

japitts

North Bristol
Reply #19 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 2:07pm

In the grand scheme of things, 10p/call for 101 seems pretty good a fair result all in.

Consider the status quo for non-emergencies, some forces have 03x, others have 01/02, others have 084x. Knowing the phone number for your local force is one thing, but when you travel? You're not necessarily in a position to look up "saynoto0870" if you're mobile, so if 101 is setup with the same "location lookup" that is already used for 999 calls from mobiles, then that has to be a good thing.

As for the 10p fixed charge, I've no great problem with that or a charge equivalent to geographic calls. People make the point about a token charge to deter hoax callers and that's fair - there are lots of "fights" about telephone call charges that are worth picking, but arguing over a 10p fixed charge to call the police does seem a little petty IMHO. If it was 50p fixed, then maybe. Thinking what most people pay to call a geographic number, the difference between paying that for 2/3 minutes, and 10p - we're talking pennies. 10 at most.

Comparing a 10p call with what 084x can cost to call (especially if you're mobile), this seems a pretty good deal to me.

WWW 41410672 pittsjon jonpittsaim  
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 3:19pm

Yes, but is it 10 pence from a mobile? Undecided

IP Logged

japitts

North Bristol
Reply #21 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 3:45pm

A test call (measured in seconds) I made to 101 yesterday from my Orange mobile, is showing on my unbilled usage as 8.5p.

I am not in a trial area as far as I know, so make of that what you will.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #22 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 4:05pm

I am totally apposed to the idea of 101 calls

Yes I agree that maybe if there was an alternative number to ring people may use it rather than ringing 999 but SAVY callers such as most Sayno members will not.

I for one would NEVER  ring it I would contact the local station or if I couldn't I would ring 999

It is totally against my principles but being ripped off is as well

There is a simple solution just leave the existing 01/02 numbers in tact for those of us that wish to use them.

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #23 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 12:19am

It is the intention of all Forces to phase out their 03 or 0845 numbers.

If someone calls from a landline I assume that they may have to pay the 9p connection charge as well as the flat fee of 10p. Any thoughts on this???

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #24 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 9:24am

I have just contacted Virgin Media and they didn't have a clue. "Its no good them ringing 101 it doen't work in India"

At far as I can make out the charges are as follows

Connection charge 9p
Call Charge 10p

This is a flat rate and callers will only be charged the connection charge and a one off flat rate, but as usual calls may vary etc etc etc

I will stress again if I cannot contact the police without being charged very expensive crazy rates for the call I will not contact them at all

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #25 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 10:29am

I have been in contact with a number of telecom companies and it appears that the 101 10p service is a wolf in sheeps clothing

Total Charge 10p PLUS -  CONNECTION CHARGE BY THE TELECOM PROVIDER usually 9 to 12p

So callers could be charged 19p to call 101 rip off

How can this be right Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #26 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 12:19pm

I am currently working on a comprehensive table of costs for calling 101 from major providers. If anyone else is doing the same then perhaps we should compare progress by PM / Email - it is not easy!!

I am also making considerable progress in verifying the extent of the truth behind the Windsor Telecom announcement. I have nothing to report as yet.

bazzerfewi wrote on Mar 26th, 2011 at 9:24am:
I have just contacted Virgin Media ... At far as I can make out the charges are as follows
Connection charge 9p
Call Charge 10p

Virgin Media is actually simple, because its charges are published in the normal way.

Page 53 of Calls from home UK Non-Geographic calls shows the Charge Band for 101 to be "FF31".
Page 11 of Calls from home residential tariffs shows FF31 to be a fixed-fee call at 10.22 pence per call.

There appears to be some commonality here, as most telcos applied the 2.13% increase to VAT inclusive rates in January to all "set" charges.

japitts wrote on Mar 25th, 2011 at 3:45pm:
A test call (measured in seconds) I made to 101 yesterday from my Orange mobile, is showing on my unbilled usage as 8.5p.

If this is exclusive of VAT, then it would confirm a fixed fee set at 10p per call when the VAT Rate was 17.5%.

bazzerfewi wrote on Mar 26th, 2011 at 10:29am:
I have been in contact with a number of telecom companies and it appears that the 101 10p service is a wolf in sheeps clothing
How can this be right

To answer the question, it is probably not right!

I can confirm the general experience of telco telephone enquiry staff having very poor detailed information available to them and no understanding of tariffs or the UK telephone system. They are in no position whatsoever to provide accurate advice on call costs where the issues are in the slightest complex.

To be fair, no such service is offered, as the IVR menus generally do not include an option for enquiries about call costs, other than queries about charges already raised on a presented bill.

Because telcos are obliged to publish all call charges (at least to their customers), one is best to pursue published information, for those who do so with public access through the internet. This may not be easy either, but it does enable one to hold the publisher accountable.

... I will stress again if I cannot contact the police without being charged very expensive crazy rates for the call I will not contact them at all

We are each fully entitled to our personal views and to behave in whatever way we wish.

On the issue of public policy, it appears that the English Police services are prepared to sign up to the idea of having a common non-emergency number. We can criticise, but we may have to accept this decision as having been made. This leaves the question of how the telephone call element of the cost of the service should be funded, given that each Police service will fund its call centres in the same way as it funds other costs.

One option is for calls to be "free to caller" so they are paid for by taxpayers (national or local) in general or perhaps by the customers of each telephone company. Commercial sponsorship is another option; this is often regarded as acceptable by Police services, but I have considerable doubts. If there is to be a charge, this could be fixed per call or a rate per minute. Telcos could have the option of bundling the charge into package fees.

I can personally see a good argument for having a common charge for all calls to this particular service. What may appear to be crazy and expensive for a landline user with a call inclusive package may not be so for someone calling from a Public Payphone or PAYG mobile. (I have yet to discover exactly what the current, or proposed, situation actually is.)

If a common charge were to be put in place, I can fully understand the resentment that would be felt by those who believe that they have paid for all of their telephone calls, at being treated in the same way as those who have not paid anything in advance. There is indeed a strong argument for those who pay most tax being entitled to a better service from the Police than those who pay little tax.
(I hope that readers can recognise irony Wink)

I am inclined to believe that if a common call charge can be set at a reasonable level to enable calls to be self-funding across the board, then this is probably the best way forward. (I must stress that these views apply only to this particular service. I do not commend the same approach for telephone access to public services in general.)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #27 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 2:38pm

... I will stress again if I cannot contact the police without being charged very expensive crazy rates for the call I will not contact them at all

I can think of three acceptable possibilities for charging 101 calls:

1. All calls free from all providers.
2. Call charges aligned to those of 01/02/03 numbers on every tariff.
3. Call charges aligned to those of 01/02/03 numbers on every tariff and capped at an industry-wide amount (perhaps 10 pence).

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Mar 26th, 2011 at 12:19pm:
I am currently working on a comprehensive table of costs for calling 101 from major providers. If anyone else is doing the same then perhaps we should compare progress by PM / Email - it is not easy!!

I am also making considerable progress in verifying the extent of the truth behind the Windsor Telecom announcement. I have nothing to report as yet.

I would have thought that if it is to be 10 pence per call from all providers, then this would be enforced through a rule setup by Ofcom.

If this is the case, then I would be surprised if providers will be allowed to charge a call set-up/connection charge plus the 10 pence.

I know that BT's Call Set-up fee does not apply to fixed fee calls, which are those that are charged at so many pence per call, as 101 is expected to be.

bazzerfewi wrote on Mar 26th, 2011 at 10:29am:
How can this be right

To answer the question, it is probably not right!

I can confirm the general experience of telco telephone enquiry staff having very poor detailed information available to them and no understanding of tariffs or the UK telephone system. They are in no position whatsoever to provide accurate advice on call costs where the issues are in the slightest complex.

Indeed. I wouldn't hang my hat on what telephone company staff say on this and other call charges.

On the issue of public policy, it appears that the English Police services are prepared to sign up to the idea of having a common non-emergency number. We can criticise, but we may have to accept this decision as having been made. This leaves the question of how the telephone call element of the cost of the service should be funded, given that each Police service will fund its call centres in the same way as it funds other costs.

This leaves the question of how contact can be made with a police force when within another's area. Each will surely need to retain their 01/02/03/0845 numbers for this purpose.

So, in actual fact, savvy people would ring via the 0x numbers rather than 101, in cases where it's cheaper.

I am inclined to believe that if a common call charge can be set at a reasonable level to enable calls to be self-funding across the board, then this is probably the best way forward. (I must stress that these views apply only to this particular service. I do not commend the same approach for telephone access to public services in general.)

Points in favour of a single industry-wide charge accepted, but it does mean that the police are driving a horse and cart through the process of consumer-choice.

It would be like having a flat charge of 10 pence to get on the bus to a police station, irrespective of distance, time at which the journey was being made and even whether the passenger had a season ticket or other pass which permitted free or reduced travel.

IP Logged

japitts

North Bristol
Reply #28 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 3:03pm

I will stress again if I cannot contact the police without being charged very expensive crazy rates for the call I will not contact them at all

I certainly agree with you so far as using an 084x number for non-emergencies is concerned. Webform, 999 if urgent, or just not bother. There's always Crimestoppers (0800) if it's regarding an existing investigation.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #29 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 4:06pm

Quote I would have thought that if it is to be 10 pence per call from all providers, then this would be enforced through a rule setup by Ofcom.

If this is the case, then I would be surprised if providers will be allowed to charge a call set-up/connection charge plus the 10 pence.

I know that BT's Call Set-up fee does not apply to fixed fee calls, which are those that are charged at so many pence per call, as 101 is expected to be.T

That may be the case and telcos may only be able to charge 10p but if they are the information that Virgin staff are giving out is incorrect. As per my earlier posting Virgin quoted 19p to make the call although I did contact them on 2 occasions and they didn't really have a clue either way

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge