Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Send Topic Print
101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police Forces (Read 276,188 times)
CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: 101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police For
Reply #45 - May 1st, 2011 at 10:24pm

Interesting,

so it's going up in cost, as it is extended to more forces?

However it's a fixed cost per call service?

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #46 - May 3rd, 2011 at 3:18pm

Well what a surprise the price is rising for users!!!   I expect once it is there for all foces, they'll introduce a different money-making tariff & OFCOM or whoever will do nothing to stop it.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #47 - May 3rd, 2011 at 4:05pm

According to this government web site

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CrimeJusticeAndTheLaw/Reportingcrimeandantisocialbeh...

Calls to 101 from standard BT lines cost 10p for the entire call. The cost of calls to 101 from other networks and mobiles may vary. Check with your telephone company for details.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #48 - May 4th, 2011 at 9:27am

I have contacted my local MP Dan Jarvis in regard to my dismay with the use of the Premium Rate 101 none emergency number

I have also brought to his attention thaat Doctors Surgery's use of 0844/0845 income generator numbers he is now pursuing these matters. He is the new guy that took over from Eric Illsley "Barnsley Central" so let us see what he is made of

I urge others to contact their MP in this regard as they will all land on the relevent ministers desk and it may rekindle the campaign

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

japitts

North Bristol
Reply #49 - May 4th, 2011 at 12:45pm

Our local GP surgery still uses 01x numbers and seems pretty well managed, so there's (fortunately) no need to write or email them.

As for the 101-number - so it maybe 15p per call rather than 10, well whoopie-doo-dah. A modest fixed-fee per call with the same number nationally, is a MAJOR step forward from the status quo IMO - so I certainly won't be writing to complain about this.

WWW 41410672 pittsjon jonpittsaim  
IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #50 - May 4th, 2011 at 2:01pm

japitts wrote on May 4th, 2011 at 12:45pm:
As for the 101-number - so it maybe 15p per call rather than 10, well whoopie-doo-dah. A modest fixed-fee per call with the same number nationally, is a MAJOR step forward from the status quo IMO - so I certainly won't be writing to complain about this.
It is hardly a step forward if, as has been suggested, police agencies replace geographic numbers with a number that is inaccessible from overseas.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #51 - May 4th, 2011 at 2:59pm

If, and this has to be established when the changes are formally announced, the rate of 15p per call is what is necessary to ensure that ALL callers pay the same and that this only covers the reasonable charge imposed by the telephone companies for making the connection, not any of the costs of the Police service call centres, then I would think it proper. The change from 10p to 15p will be a sensitive issue for those areas where the number is already in use at the rate of 10p per call. (This sadly takes us back to the whole project having been badly handled initially. Local independence and national plans do not easily co-exist. Look out for what will happen with 111!)

The rate charged to the caller and by the telephone companies is not a matter for Ofcom. The relevant bodies are the Home Office and ACPO representing the English Police services / forces / constabularies.

Some would argue that the money that could be spent on enabling all callers to make non-emergency calls at no cost to themselves is better spent on other aspects of Police work. It is quite fair for others to argue the alternative position, suggesting that free non-emergency calls should be a spending priority.

This should NOT be conflated with the total impropriety of using 084 numbers for contact with public bodies. Furthermore, the particular arguments that apply to this case should not be extended to cover telephone contact with public service bodies in general. Use of 01 / 02 / 03 numbers, charged at the applicable Geographic Rate, is perfectly acceptable for most cases. This is a particular case because the additional costs associated with use of a single three digit number are thought to be worthwhile and other special considerations apply, mainly due to the association with the 999 service.

I trust that appropriate arrangements will be made for handling calls from overseas, as well as those to specific incident rooms and to local services remote from the caller. We await details of these arrangements being revealed and discussed when final plans are in place and the changes are formally announced. Those who are seriously concerned that these may have been overlooked should make the appropriate representations now, whilst there is still time to get it right, unless they would rather moan later.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #52 - May 4th, 2011 at 3:49pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 4th, 2011 at 2:59pm:
I trust that appropriate arrangements will be made for handling calls from overseas, as well as those to specific incident rooms and to local services remote from the caller.
One would hope so, however, on the assumption that either a geographic or 03 number is provided for such situations, then this number will be used (quite correctly, in my opinion) by UK residents wishing to avoid the charge for 101. Similar situations prevail for other organizations discussed here.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #53 - May 4th, 2011 at 4:42pm

idb wrote on May 4th, 2011 at 3:49pm:
SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 4th, 2011 at 2:59pm:
I trust that appropriate arrangements will be made for handling calls from overseas, as well as those to specific incident rooms and to local services remote from the caller.
One would hope so, however, on the assumption that either a geographic or 03 number is provided for such situations, then this number will be used (quite correctly, in my opinion) by UK residents wishing to avoid the charge for 101. Similar situations prevail for other organizations discussed here.

I would clearly not be appropriate for a single 01/02/03 alternative with the same features and facilities of 101 to be provided. I would be see this as being an improper expense, given the decision that has been made about how the service should be provided and funded.

I was referring to calls to 101 being re-directed to another area when necessary, after being answered local to the caller, and special numbers being provided for specific purposes with the appropriate capacity and facilities.

We await confirmation about exactly what a 15p charge per call means, however let us assume for a moment that it is as I described above. One is entitled to disagree with the decision that all callers should make an equal contribution to the cost of calls being connected to the service. The moral justification for evading the charge by misusing another published number is however far weaker here than in cases where, for example, a 0845 number is presented for access to a public service.

I can imagine many particular cases where telephone access to the Police may be required from overseas. These would however mostly be in relation to matters which had arisen whilst the caller was in the UK, when they should have been provided with specific contact details (including a telephone number where telephone contact was appropriate). Matters which arise overseas that may involve the UK Police should also involve the local Police, as the primary point of contact.

I referred to "incident rooms" with dedicated numbers, as this could be relevant to one situation where someone currently overseas needs to make swift telephone contact with the UK Police. If there is a strong argument for why the 101 service should be accessible from overseas, I would be very keen to hear it. I would not see the availability of an alternative number for the benefit of those who wish to avoid the 15p per call charge as sufficient justification!

It should also be noted that Police Services would (rightly) be expected to deploy staff dedicated to answering general telephone enquiries ONLY in the call centres handling 101 calls. This is doubtless part of the "back office" cost saving which lies behind the decision to adopt 101.

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #54 - May 7th, 2011 at 2:43pm

If it is not broken then it does not need fixing.

We can contact the Police now for free if we have an all inclusive call package. Therefore it does not make any sense to introduce a new number costing 10p, now increased by 50% to 15p per call.

Who is going to benifit by the millions of pounds from all these 15p calls. The phone companies? The Police? The Chancellor? As I have said before, it is just another stealth tax, which is nicely dressed up to look like a helpful convenient way of contacting the Police.

On principle I will never call 101, but will email them via the, "Contact Us" link on their website and leave my mobile number. They can then phone me at a cost of 20p+ (BT connection Fee and call time) and put money onto their phone bill.

However I am sure that in the traditions of the Saynoto0870 website, alternative contact numbers will eventually become known.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #55 - May 7th, 2011 at 3:25pm

4PetesSake wrote on May 7th, 2011 at 2:43pm:
Who is going to benifit by the millions of pounds from all these 15p calls. The phone companies? The Police? The Chancellor? As I have said before, it is just another stealth tax, which is nicely dressed up to look like a helpful convenient way of contacting the Police.

This is a good question and the police need to be open if the 101 plan is to ever succeed.

If the flat 'per call' charge is simply so that everyone pays the same and that there isn't anything left over for the police, telephone companies or any other party to benefit, then this must be explained. Has any information on this programme come been made public yet?

Such a need for a level charge comes about as a result of the diverse call charges available today.

It stands to reason that if 101 is to be billed the same as a normal geographic call and capped at 15 pence per call, then there will be a shortfall, particularly for calls from pay as you go mobiles. This will need to be met either by the originating telcos or paid for by the police (and ultimately taxpayers).

I remain to be convinced that 101 at 15 pence per call (or even 10 pence per call) will work in practice. I think that it may well be seen as a rip-off. Undecided

If it does come to fruition though, then the charge may need to be changed in the future should telephone charges/packages change in the future.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2011 at 3:26pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #56 - May 7th, 2011 at 7:22pm

On principle I will never call 101, but will email them via the, "Contact Us" link on their website and leave my mobile number. They can then phone me at a cost of 20p+ (BT connection Fee and call time) and put money onto their phone bill.

Ultimately, of course, paid from (y)our taxes.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2011 at 7:22pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #57 - May 7th, 2011 at 10:30pm

Heinz wrote on May 7th, 2011 at 7:22pm:

My council tax has been frozen this year and the Police are having to make savings in other areas in order to pay for their 101 number. Threrefore I am not paying any extra.  Grin

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #58 - May 7th, 2011 at 10:36pm

4PetesSake wrote on May 7th, 2011 at 10:30pm:
Heinz wrote on May 7th, 2011 at 7:22pm:

My council tax has been frozen this year and the Police are having to make savings in other areas in order to pay for their 101 number. Threrefore I am not paying any extra.  Grin

Not in council tax, maybe. But expect more crime. Or perhaps you're a burglar, and so will be set to benefit.  Roll Eyes Huh

IP Logged

japitts

North Bristol
Reply #59 - May 8th, 2011 at 12:36pm

If it is not broken then it does not need fixing.

We can contact the Police now for free if we have an all inclusive call package. Therefore it does not make any sense to introduce a new number costing 10p, now increased by 50% to 15p per call.

Not all forces you can't. Avon & Somerset being a case in point.

I've no problem with a 10/15p fixed-price call given all the peripheral benefits of a national-number.. seems like penny-pinching to me. But I certainly wouldn't call Plod on an 0845 - indeed "contact us" is the way to go. The only problem will ever come, if what you need to call them about isn't an emergency but is time critical. Oh well - they should have thought of that before having an 0845 number.

WWW 41410672 pittsjon jonpittsaim  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge