Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print
101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police Forces (Read 275,066 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: 101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police For
Reply #75 - Jul 5th, 2011 at 9:39am

loddon wrote on Jul 5th, 2011 at 7:56am:
SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jul 4th, 2011 at 10:13pm:
The re-launch of 101 has begun today with a price increase.

Where?  Can you provide a link to the announcement?

allegro wrote on Jul 5th, 2011 at 8:04am:

... and many other individual announcements from the Met, Hertfordshire, Essex et al, along with an update on the Home Office website that only reflects the price change.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #76 - Jul 5th, 2011 at 11:16am

Well what a surprise - not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #77 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 4:56am

After some research I have established the current position.

Some forces have switched on the 101 service in the last few days. I understand that there will be announcements and further website updates next week and in time to come.

I understand that the 15p per call charge has been agreed with the vast majority of landline and mobile call service providers. Those managing the scheme will be keen to hear reports of any deviations from this principle. This is very important, so that the operators in question can be put under pressure to fall in line (or exposed as charging a premium for contacting the police) and that confidence in call cost announcements can be maintained. (The Home Office website - accessed through DirectGov - will be updated next week and the reference to the 15p relating only to BT will be corrected.)

There is a clear plan, being driven by ACPO, which will lead to all geographically focussed Police forces in England using 101 by the end of the year. More information will be published over time.

A - The following 7 forces are now operating 101 as their non-emergency contact number:

City of London Police (via the call centre operated by the Met), Essex Police, Hampshire Constabulary, Hertfordshire Constabulary, Metropolitan Police Service, Surrey Police, Sussex Police (adoption not yet announced).

B - The following 10 forces are using a geographic number as their non-emergency contact number:

Bedfordshire Police, Cleveland Police, Dorset Police, Greater Manchester Police, Kent Police, Leicestershire Constabulary, Merseyside Police, South Yorkshire Police*, Suffolk Constabulary, Warwickshire Police.

C - The following 10 forces are using a 03 number as their non-emergency contact number:

Cambridgeshire Constabulary, Derbyshire Constabulary, Durham Constabulary, Lincolnshire Police, Northamptonshire Police, Northumbria Police, Nottinghamshire Police, Staffordshire Police, West Mercia Police, West Midlands Police.

D - The following 12 forces are using a 0845 number as their non-emergency contact number:

Avon and Somerset Constabulary, Cheshire Constabulary, Cumbria Constabulary, Devon and Cornwall Constabulary, Gloucestershire Constabulary, Humberside Police, Lancashire Constabulary, Norfolk Constabulary, North Yorkshire Police, Thames Valley Police, West Yorkshire Police, Wiltshire Constabulary.

* In Sheffield, calls to some local authority anti-social behaviour services are also handled by 101. This service is intended to remain in place when South Yorkshire Police moves over to 101.

The original concept for 101 was that it would operate as it does in Sheffield (part of the South Yorkshire Police area) across the whole of England and Wales. There are many matters, e.g. car alarms sounding continually, which are thought of as crime, but are actually not matters for the Police. The idea was that 101 would be the number to call without having to be aware of which agency was responsible and to provide 24 hour telephone reporting access for all areas.

Hampshire Police acts as a forwarding agency for receipt of reports that are simply passed on to the respective local authority. Forces will be encouraged to develop appropriate partnership working with local authorities, however there is no longer a general specification that 101 is for anything more than contacting the local Police.

(There is a parallel here with 111, where the original concept was that it would be operated by partnerships of PCTs and local authorities providing care services, so that urgent requests for both Health and Social Care could be made to a single number. This is not a feature of the 111 pilots, however the emphasis on "urgent only" also seems to have been dropped. Given that local health care responsibilities are now being split into 3 different agencies, it is not clear who will be commissioning and controlling the 111 service. Furthermore, the issue of integration of Health Care and Social Care is still being discussed, even though a further radical re-organisation of the NHS would be required to bring this about.)

Returning to the point ...

I intend to press for all forces to retain a geographic, or 03, number when moving to 101. This offers two clear benefits:

1. It enables those who have a call inclusive package to save themselves 15p when calling.

2. It enables direct calls to be made from outside the force area, including from overseas.

Where geographic or 03 numbers are already in use, these could be retained. For those with 0845 numbers, they will have to adopt a long term alternative as well as retaining the 0845 number for the period of transition.

I believe that with a geographic rate alternative available for use by those with such calls "free of charge" to them, even if this number is not advertised with the same prominence as 101, most reasoned objections to the basis of a universal fixed charge per call are addressed.

The handling cost per call is estimated at around £30, so 15p is a relatively modest contribution from the caller, rather than the tax-payer. For those who pay their provider for calls to geographic rate numbers, at up to 25p per minute, or with a setup fee of 10p or more, 15p per call cannot be seen as an imposition. If tax-payers would rather meet the full cost, it is for them to say so.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #78 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 4:20pm

Good Afternoon all

Unless it has already been posted elsewhere, you might find this link useful: http://www.police.uk/101

It lists all the area's moving to 101 and the cost of the call

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: 101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police Forces
Reply #79 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 10:47am

Story from the Wiltshire Times:

New non-emergency number set to answer criticism

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #80 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 11:24am

@ Dave and SCV,

I have checked Sussex Police's site today and it STILL show's the 0845 number. As they are my local force I shall be e-mailing them to inform them of this.  I also note on the Direct.Gov and Police 101 site's that Sussex should be on the 101 number.

Not good when the local force cannot get it right!

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #81 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 12:25pm

I understand, from a chat with a helpful assistant on the 0845 number (called via BT), that 101 is working in Sussex.

Each area is making its own decision about when to do the major publicity campaign that is required. Sussex has decided to wait and will be doing this towards the end of the year - no date has been set. This may mean that it will benefit from the national publicity which will accompany the last of the areas moving over.

Apparently there is concern about this change not being welcomed by some and a determination to ensure that the systems have been properly tested before the launch.

I can guess that cynics may suggest that the delay has something to do with the revenue share. My own suspicion is that both the 0845 and the 101 numbers are themselves cost-neutral for Sussex Police - all of their costs are in staffing and operating the call centre.

I have been assured that the geographic alternative - (0 / +44) 1273 475432 will be retained alongside 101. This will provide an option for those who do not wish to pay their fair share towards the cost of the service.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #82 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 12:46pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Sep 22nd, 2011 at 12:25pm:
I have been assured that the geographic alternative - (0 / +44) 1273 475432 will be retained alongside 101. This will provide an option for those who do not wish to pay their fair share towards the cost of the service.

Interesting.  The http://www.police.uk/101 site gives 0845 60 70 999 as the alternative number to 101 in Sussex, not that 01273 number.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2011 at 12:46pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #83 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 1:11pm

@ Heinz,

feedback submitted to Police.uk pointing out they have NOT included the 01273 number for Sussex, having included it for other regions!

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #84 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 2:02pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Sep 22nd, 2011 at 12:25pm:

We already do so, it is called taxation!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #85 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 5:55pm

derrick wrote on Sep 22nd, 2011 at 2:02pm:
We already do so, it is called taxation!

A good point.

The issue is however that we accept each individual being responsible for their part of the cost of accessing public services, that is paid to a third party which they engage: e.g. transport to visit a public building, a computer and internet connection for on-line access to public services and the basic cost of a telephone call. (Special arrangements are made for those who may have particular problems, but in general we accept our personal responsibility to meet these costs.)

Because a special number is being used, a special tariff has to be set for 101. It was decided to set this at a level where the cost would be equal for all callers. I sincerely hope that the level of 15p per call is intended to only reimburse the call originators, not to offset the cost of providing the service.

The cost of providing the service should properly fall mostly on local taxpayers, through the policing precept, although I understand that the Home Office may be underwriting the 15p per call arrangement, using money from central taxation.

A different decision was made for 111. In this case the (central) taxpayer pays the third party costs that would normally fall on the person accessing the service. Given that this will probably have to come out of the budgets provided to the GP-led CCGs, as part of the running costs of 111 which I fear may be seen as unduly high, I foresee problems. The extensive involvement of the NHS Direct NHS Trust (not a favourite amongst the GP community and not known for its sense of economy) will not help. Political considerations may however preclude the possibility of re-visiting the funding decision for the number.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #86 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 3:12pm

Published by Eastern Daily Press:

Norfolk Police Authority chairman answers your questions
Saturday, October 22, 2011
6:30 AM

Quote:
Whilst I can appreciate the need for a central switchboard, does this have to be an 0845 number? From what I understand, the majority of other Police Authorities have now adopted either a freephone number or a standard 01 number. In many cases the 01 number becomes free after 6pm or at weekends and as a result of this, I feel sure that the police will get a lot more crime/anti-social behaviour information from residents when they do not have to pay a premium cost in these cash-strapped times.

Pam Sharp

We have been reviewing this and awaiting the outcome of national talks over the introduction of the 101 number for non-emergency calls to the police. I am pleased to say, as reported in the EDP last week this number is now being rolled-out across England and Wales so that, wherever you are, you get put though to the nearest constabulary. Each call costs 15p from mobiles or landlines – whatever the duration. The service will be available nationally by February 2012. We will then phase out the 0845 numbers.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2011 at 3:13pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #87 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:08pm

Dave wrote on Oct 24th, 2011 at 3:12pm:

I love the way they publish everyone's private email address on that page.  Shocked

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #88 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 4:30pm

CJT-80 wrote on Sep 22nd, 2011 at 1:11pm:
@ Heinz,

feedback submitted to Police.uk pointing out they have NOT included the 01273 number for Sussex, having included it for other regions!

Smiley

Good Afternoon,

I have finally received an e-mail from the NPIA regarding the omission of the 01 number for Sussex Police from the Police.uk website as previously mentioned.

I have been informed it will be added as soon as possible.

I shall of course be keeping an eye on this.

To all members, if your local areas force DOES have an 01/02 number to contact it and it is NOT mentioned here, I would recommend clicking the Feedback button and telling them!

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #89 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 6:31pm

Sussex police will now switch to a 101 number on November 1st

15 pence a call

http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/local/sussex_police_to_switch_non_emergency_...
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2011 at 6:32pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge