Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Send Topic Print
101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police Forces (Read 274,813 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: 101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police Forces
Reply #90 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 8:25pm

sherbert wrote on Oct 27th, 2011 at 6:31pm:
Sussex police will now switch to a 101 number on November 1st

15 pence a call

http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/local/sussex_police_to_switch_non_emergency_...

I fear that the newspaper has got the story a little wrong. The big national launch will not be on 1 November, as a number of forces will not go live with 101 until 1 December.

Sussex has been live since July, but has waited before doing a major publicity campaign.

If they are going to keep the geographic alternative in use, they will need to be ready to refer to it to defray criticism from certain quarters. It was obviously omitted from the brief for the newspaper item quoted.

I personally believe that a universal charge of 15p per call (to cover the network connection from any operator) is defensible. If they are going to incur the expense of keeping a geographic number for essentially the same connection in use as well, then they must ensure that anyone who may benefit from using it is aware of it.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #91 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 10:10am

15 pence a call

http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/local/sussex_police_to_switch_non_emergency_...

That article begins with the line:- "POLICE forces across England and Wales will all switch their non-emergency contact numbers to 101 on Tuesday November 1."

Despite the, (inarticulate),heading stating:- "Sussex Police to switch non-emergency number", suggesting it is only Sussex police!

Posted before I read SCV's post, but still stands.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2011 at 10:12am by derrick »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #92 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 10:32am

derrick wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 10:10am:
... Posted before I read SCV's post, but still stands.

Indeed, even though the article is only circulated to the people of Sussex, so the local element is paramount; if they travel to some other areas they will find that 101 will not be working for at least another month.

The disturbing point, noting previous comments here, is that whilst retention of the 0845 number (for a period) is mentioned, there is no reference to the geographic number.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #93 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 7:44pm

15 pence a call

It seems the don't update everything that quickly: http://www.sussex.police.uk/contact-us

Only the top "bar" has the 101 number.

As 0845 is "included" in my home tariff, I may just keep calling that... or I may pay 15p to talk to them... So far I have never had to call!

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #94 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 8:13pm

« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2011 at 8:15pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #95 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 12:05am

If I need to conact the local police I will not be using the 101 number, it goes against every principle and contacting police via this number is no better that using an 0845 number in my opinion. Angry Angry

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #96 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 3:52am

sherbert wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 8:13pm:

I must apologise to the newspaper which I maligned previously. It appears that someone else is promoting a hoax by encouraging Sussex people visiting some other parts of the country to waste time in reporting crime by attempting to call 101 before it has been brought into service.

Noting the comments on this page, I must point out that hoaxes waste the time of citizens and may prevent them from attracting police resources to those who need them. How would you feel if you attempted to contact the Police using a number provided by the Police only to find that it was not working. There is no need to investigate the perpetrator of the hoax, as it is published on its website. This type of silly error is not a criminal offence, unless perpetrated deliberately, so the offender will not be dealt with by the courts.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #97 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 12:22pm

Information on 101 is at www.police.uk/101

This map showing the rollout schedule is published there:

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2011 at 12:23pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #98 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 12:29pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Oct 29th, 2011 at 3:52am:
sherbert wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 8:13pm:

I must apologise to the newspaper which I maligned previously. It appears that someone else is promoting a hoax by encouraging Sussex people visiting some other parts of the country to waste time in reporting crime by attempting to call 101 before it has been brought into service.

Noting the comments on this page, I must point out that hoaxes waste the time of citizens and may prevent them from attracting police resources to those who need them. How would you feel if you attempted to contact the Police using a number provided by the Police only to find that it was not working. There is no need to investigate the perpetrator of the hoax, as it is published on its website. This type of silly error is not a criminal offence, unless perpetrated deliberately, so the offender will not be dealt with by the courts.

On the database there are geographical numbers verified and unverified for Sussex police Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2011 at 12:30pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #99 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 12:26am

sherbert wrote on Oct 29th, 2011 at 12:29pm:
On the database there are geographical numbers verified and unverified for Sussex police

I think the point at issue is over the geographic number published by Sussex Police itself - 01273 475432.

I have taken a current image of the Sussex Police "Non-emergencies Enquiries" webpage - https://www.sussex.police.uk/contact-us/non-emergency-enquiries, which will doubtless be updated with the formal launch of 101 on Tuesday.

In addition to any further media coverage, it will be interesting to see how this changes. From Tuesday there will be two alternatives to 101, which will then become the primary non-emergency number. Callers will be faced with a choice of three from which they may wish to determine which is the cheapest for them to call. It will depend on their tariff and, in some cases, the expected duration of the call. The way in which the information is presented could influence any such decision.

With no disrespect to those who compile, edit and use the SayNoTo0870 database, I believe that in this campaigning forum we are concerned about publication of geographic alternatives (where appropriate) by the providers of the services being accessed.

IP Logged

pg80

Reply #100 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 10:48pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Oct 30th, 2011 at 12:26am:
With no disrespect to those who compile, edit and use the SayNoTo0870 database, I believe that in this campaigning forum we are concerned about publication of geographic alternatives (where appropriate) by the providers of the services being accessed.

Yeah, SayNoTo0870 has a particular aim - as stated above.

I think the introduction of 101, as long as there are alternative local numbers, is a good idea.

Hopefully it will reduce the amount of "silly" calls to 999, and calls that aren't relating to a crime in progress or someone's life being in danger.

It will hopefully be useful to people who are on holiday, or otherwise out of their home area -as if they need to phone the police, they don't have to work out where they are and what the right force's phone number is.

That said, if they wish to do a little research and save themselves 15p, fair enough.

IP Logged

pg80

Reply #101 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 3:57pm

West Midlands region has gone live with 101:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15623274

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #102 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 11:30am

I have only just learned that 101 launched in my area two days ago from a post on a broadband forum (the ISP's landline service listed the cost as 17.5p, and apparently this is correct - so much for it always being 15p).

I think charging 15p for this is indefensible, and just as bad as all the public sector use of NGNs over the years.

I have read some people's arguments, such as that it's "paying their fair share towards the cost of the service". So if, as a good citizen, I'm phoning the police to report crime or vandalism, which I could easily have just walked past and ignored like everyone else, I should pay for the privilege?

Then certain people go on to say that 101 is OK because the forum has always promoted advertising alternate numbers that people can call if they wish. However, where is the guarantee that the old numbers will be available indefinitely? The police website suggests they are for switchboards that may not yet accept 101 as a valid number.

I actually have my force's number, which has always been a geographical number, stored in my home phone and mobile, so if I did need to call, I would still have used it. As I've seen no publicity for this, I wouldn't have known about 101 if I hadn't read these forums.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #103 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 1:36pm

jrawle wrote on Nov 16th, 2011 at 11:30am:
(the ISP's landline service listed the cost as 17.5p, and apparently this is correct - so much for it always being 15p).

This is a very serious matter - please identify the company -
if the Home Office has missed them from its negotiations, or they are breaching an agreement, the Home Office must be notified.

jrawle wrote on Nov 16th, 2011 at 11:30am:
I have read some people's arguments, such as that it's "paying their fair share towards the cost of the service". So if, as a good citizen, I'm phoning the police to report crime or vandalism, which I could easily have just walked past and ignored like everyone else, I should pay for the privilege?

Of course it is unacceptable to be charged a fee for reporting crime or vandalism.

If you engage the services of a telephone company to assist you in doing so, the question is "Who pays for that call?".

As I see it, there are the following policy options:
1. The caller
2. The Police (funded by local taxpayers)
3. The Home Office (funded by national taxpayers)
4. The telephone company (meeting its costs from charges levied on its customers)

The handling of the call by the Police is paid for under option 2. 101 works on the basis that all callers pay the same, regardless of the duration, the type of phone and the tariff to which they subscribe.

It would be helpful to the discussion if those who object to option 1 could offer a view on which of the alternatives (maybe other than those I have listed) they would find preferable.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #104 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 2:08pm

I agree with jrawle absolutely and totally.   I think the whole point is that, if the police nationally wish to have a single short number which is easily recognised, I do not have a particular problem with that AS LONG AS local numbers staffed by local police staff who know the area (eg county) are also available.  However, I do have every problem with such a number being excluded from call packages; with regards to who funds this, it is largely something done for the benefit of the police forces as a cost cutting measure so I think they should pay for it, that is, it should come out of taxation and hence be included in call packages.   For those without a call package, 15p is not too bad, but my point all through this has been that if someone is doing a public service, as jrawle says, and doing what the police ask the public to do, which is reporting matters to the police, I do not think the caller should bear the cost.  Where we used to live, we went through a spell of serious anti-social behaviour problems where we and other residents of two villages where having to call the police numerous times per evening and it would have become very costly with 101 (999 would not have been appropriate as we needed to speak to a local operator &/or the officers who had dealt previously).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge