Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print
101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police Forces (Read 275,199 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: 101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police For
Reply #30 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 4:38pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Mar 26th, 2011 at 4:06pm:
That may be the case and telcos may only be able to charge 10p but if they are the information that Virgin staff are giving out is incorrect. As per my earlier posting Virgin quoted 19p to make the call although I did contact them on 2 occasions and they didn't really have a clue either way

The incorrect pricing information eminating from call providers' call centres is a matter for those providers.

You have said that they appeared not to have a clue either way, in which case, it would appear that the above quoted 19p per call may well be incorrect.

We know that when 03 numbers were introduced, some telcos didn't charge calls as geographic ones, so it should perhaps not come as a surprise that there is misinformation out there about 101. And of course 101 presently only operates in small areas of the country, so relatively few people will be ringing it and therefore likely to be enquiring about its cost.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #31 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 6:20pm

If the news release by Windsor telecom is seen to be true then the issues must be sorted out before the news is released officially.

With reference to points made above, including my own latest posting (briefly):

Virgin Media - Its actual rates are published.

Enforcement - The Ofcom statement fully explains that that charging is a matter to be resolved by agreement between the Home Office and the Telcos. Such an agreement would be no less enforceable than any Ofcom regulation.

Consumer Choice - A single charge would enable consumers to choose whichever telephone service provider they wish, whilst citizens retain access to the Police service on equal terms - insofar as the Police have any control over the costs they incur. Any "free to caller" service is no less undermining of the principle of consumer choice. The analogy with travel costs is perfectly fair.

Out of area contact - "Incident room" numbers and direct lines for specific functions would doubtless remain. Whether each local service would retain a general non-emergency contact number of its own remains to be seen. One must assume that many calls to 101 would involve co-ordinated response across forces. The possibility of calls being handled by "shared service" call centres may lie behind this - this is why we moved from calls being directed to central numbers for each force, rather than individual stations.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #32 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 6:43pm

I have contacted the Metropolitan Police in Sheffield via the 0114 2 202020 and the service is working at present maybe the local numbers will remain in tact.

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #33 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 7:07pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Mar 26th, 2011 at 6:43pm:
I have contacted the Metropolitan Police in Sheffield via the 0114 2 202020 and the service is working at present maybe the local numbers will remain in tact.

I referred to "Out of Area" - how on earth does a 0114 number connect one to the Metropolitan Police? Huh

Should 0114 2 202020 be listed as an alternative to 0300 123 1212?

There was talk of adjacent police services merging - but I do not recall any suggestion of the Met merging with South Yorkshire Roll Eyes

All that is being suggested is that a number which has limited application at present MAY be adopted throughout England over the coming months / years. There is no suggestion that existing advertised services have stopped working.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #34 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 7:39pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Mar 26th, 2011 at 6:43pm:

That number is listed here  http://www.southyorks.police.uk/sheffield on the South Yorkshire police web site (Sheffield section)

0114 2202020 for all non-emergencies and enquiries

I know London is expanding, but don't think it has got that far yet Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2011 at 7:40pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #35 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 8:36pm

I contacted Sheffield because I knew the number and because it was one of the areas listed for the 101 number.

O K not metropolitan "South Yorkshire"

In any event I was only stating that the 0114 2202020 number was still live

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #36 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 11:38am

For reporting non-emergencies, we do have the option of going to the Force's Website and sending an email. At least we will not get charged for that. See below link for a general enquiry form to contact Northants Police.

http://www.northants.police.uk/default.aspx?id=forms&formid=4&contact=1

I am reliably informed that once 101 comes into effect for all forces that all other non-emergency contact numbers will become redundant. In the event that you are near to a Force Boundary and get put through to the wrong Force, there will be an option to select the Force that you want.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #37 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 11:49am

I have never had to contact the local police so I don't suppose that I will use the number anyway, it is just that I hate the fact that the telco's will be making money out of the call that is may grienance

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #38 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 1:29pm

4PetesSake wrote on Mar 30th, 2011 at 11:38am:
I am reliably informed that once 101 comes into effect for all forces that all other non-emergency contact numbers will become redundant.
Let's hope that there is no need for Interpol, the FBI or other law enforcement agency to contact the plod. I suspect 011 44 101 or 00 44 101 will achieve little.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2011 at 2:08pm by Dave »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #39 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 8:14pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Mar 26th, 2011 at 12:19pm:
... I am also making considerable progress in verifying the extent of the truth behind the Windsor Telecom announcement. I have nothing to report as yet.

As the announcement by Windsor has now been withdrawn it is probably reasonable to assume that work is going on very much as stated but that the time for a public announcement has not yet arrived. It would be very important that nothing be said publicly until all of the details had been finalised so that clear information about the service could be made available to the public.

Part of the objective has to be to help police services to refocus the efforts of warranted officers on roles where they can be most effective - essentially "on the street". If that means moving them away from desks answering telephone calls, so that these can be taken in call centres, then so be it. That is not to say that the quality of service from the call centre MUST be poor.

I see three points as being essential to justify a charge, probably 10p per call, including VAT.
  • It must be shown that the areas where the 101 service has been in use have experienced a much lower proportion of nuisance calls than 999 and that this can be fairly attributed to the call not being free to caller.
  • The fee must be modest and the same for all callers, regardless of the type of telephone service, terms of contract etc.
  • The net revenue from all call charges must be negative after telephone companies have retained their reasonable costs.
I believe that if callers can understand that they are only paying for the costs of the telephone call connection, as we are used to - not the costs of the Police - but are doing so in a way that is fair for all citizens, giving access to the Police at equal cost, then it may be found acceptable.

There is a tricky social issue with leaving people to pay the cost of a standard call, because this is generally greatest for those of least means. I am ready to accept this for access to non-emergency NHS services. The types of calls that will go to 101, including all reporting of crime that is no longer being committed, enable me to see this is a different light.

I would personally rather see the money for the 101 telephone service raised through general taxation, but as this approach would not have found favour with those who supported the previous government, let alone the current government, I am prepared to accept that this is not what people want.

If anyone wants the truth of this dragged out into the public domain before those planning to launch it are ready to make an announcement, I suggest that they invite their MP to ask a question of the Home Secretary. I would think this likely to produce something formal, but suitably qualified.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2011 at 8:15pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

floppyfringe

Reply #40 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 12:49am

Sorry but I'm pretty sure the Met won't be the first police force to use the 101 number, North Wales Police have been using the number for quite a while.  http://www.north-wales.police.uk/nwpv2/en/yglas/newsDetail.asp?sid=PR647427 only they don't mention when it was actually launched and I'm pretty sure I've seen Dyfed Powys Police using 101 too

According to the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7998804.stm April 2009, I'm sure they we're still building the olympic stadium back then.  Hampshire also had 101 from April 1 2009

I don't get the problem with paying just 10p (it's not like it's an 0871 10p PER MINUTE call) to phone the police, you'll probably have their usual number stored in your brain or phone if you've lived in the area for donkeys years.  If you don't it's in the phone book, problem solved.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #41 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 10:54am

Our local police station "Sheffield" can still be contacted on the local number and it is listed as one of the stations that are part of the 101 trials, with a bit of look the 0114 number may stay in use.

I have had a reply back form Dan Jarvis MP and he is raising the 101 issue in parliament - I will await the outcome and post the reply

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #42 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 11:05am

@ floppyfringe

More info regarding the 101 Emergency Number is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Non-Emergency_Number it appears to have started in 2006, in a limited area.

Regarding calling the 101 number I would prefer to call that @ 10p Per Call rather then the current "official" number for my local force Sussex Police who use an 0845 number. Thankfully I know the 01 number for them.

However those who are required to call the 0845 number will be charged anything up to 40 per minute depending on what network they are with.

For that reason, I feel the use of the 101 number represents much better value as long as it IS 10p Per Call and is charged the same accross ALL networks.

Also yes Dyfed Powys Police do use the 101 number.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2011 at 11:06am by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #43 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 6:27pm

idb wrote on Mar 30th, 2011 at 1:29pm:
4PetesSake wrote on Mar 30th, 2011 at 11:38am:
I am reliably informed that once 101 comes into effect for all forces that all other non-emergency contact numbers will become redundant.
Let's hope that there is no need for Interpol, the FBI or other law enforcement agency to contact the plod. I suspect 011 44 101 or 00 44 101 will achieve little.

A very good point, people often have to call English Police Forces from abroad for a whole host of reasons. Like you, I am sure that 0044 101 etc will not get you through.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2011 at 2:09pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

japitts

North Bristol
Reply #44 - May 1st, 2011 at 4:30pm

101 will go live in September 2011 across Wiltshire, Thames Valley, Devon & Cornwall, Avon & Somerset, Dorset, Gloucester police areas.

All forces nationally, will go live by January 2012. Calls to 101 will be fixed at 15p per call across fixed and mobile networks.

Source: Email received from Wiltshire Police.

WWW 41410672 pittsjon jonpittsaim  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge