Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 50
Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 708,477 times)
derrick
Supreme Member

Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #195 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 2:43pm

KVSimons wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 5:11pm:
It is classed as a lo-call rate (the 0844) as you know. We did not make this up, it's the way it is. 

LO-CALL is a trade mark of BT! do you have the authority to use it?

BT, the Piper Device, CONCERT, It's good to talk, BESTFRIEND, BT FREEFONE and LO-CALL are trademarks of British Telecommunications plc. All other third party trademark rights are hereby acknowledged.

From the bottom of this page:- http://www.btplc.com/report/1997-98/shareholdernoflash.html

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #196 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 4:03pm

NGMsGhost

My dear friend, we doubtless agree on far more than you may believe. Please contact me off-line if you wish to continue these personal exchanges, as they do little to advance the debate for others.

I seek only for campaigning to be effective. There may be 100 perfectly valid points, but if only 5 of them are likely to enable progress, then I may be ready to bite my lip on the 95, even if that number includes those about which I feel most passionately. This may enable me to work together very closely with anyone who shares the 5, even if we disagree profoundly on all of the 95.

I see the underlying issue across this matter and many others as being our willingness to adopt the role of individual consumers on matters where we should be fighting together as citizens. Those who believe in freedom must accept that there is a place for markets and consumerism, with both the good and ill that results.

I would not disagree with anyone who chooses to describe "faceless marketing" (along with administration, computers, HR departments and commercial lawyers) as a necessary evil arising from business. Marketing inevitably includes making unwanted approaches and lying, just as all the other items listed have their flaws. Within the limits imposed by law and regulation, one must rely on those who participate in the market to sort this out.

There is however such a thing as society, so we must draw a clear line around those aspects of public life where consumerism is simply unacceptable. Each consumer or stakeholder has a value proportionate to their spending power or capacity to influence other consumers. Each citizen must have an equal value, although we recognise both their capacity to contribute to society and what they need from it.

I see both "Silent Calls" and the relationship with NHS GPs as issues for "citizens".

I hope this exposition of my personal position may be helpful to those who have reacted to the points raised in my earlier contribution. THis was intended to promote thought, easpecially from those who are content to see themselves as consumers of NHS services.

David

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #197 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 4:24pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Aug 14th, 2007 at 11:11am:
Let us decide whether we wish to be regarded as citizens or consumers in our relationship with the NHS and other public bodies. As with Ofcom's statutory principal duties (repeatedly referred to in this thread), these are distinct roles that may conflict.

SilentCallsVictim, you make some interesting points. It's food for thought.

The views about whether it's right to charge 5p/min to book to see your doctor expressed by the two members who posted in reply to yours are subjective ones. Some may deem it misery, some may see it as acceptable and not bat an eyelid.

I quote my post previously and NGMsGhost's reply:

NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 24th, 2007 at 8:57am:
Dave wrote on Jul 24th, 2007 at 7:55am:
There are really two aspects that must be reported:

1. Cost to callers, whether they be UK landline, mobile or public phone box.
2. Difficulty for calls to be made from overseas.

and also

3. Exclusion from 0844 SurgeryLine numbers from Inclusive Call Packages to all 01 and 02 numbers such as BT Option 3 that cost only between £4 and £8 per month these days

4. 0844 doctors calls therefore being part of a class of stealth premium rate business phone calls that are putting an extra £200 or more per annum on most domestic phone bills and/or mobile bills that should not be there.

5. That the regulator Ofcom is failing in its primary duty under the Communications Act 2003 to protect the UK citizen consumer by not using its backstop powers under the Communications Act 2003 to impose big penalties on businesses that middescribe these numbers as local or national call or low cost call like NEG.

6. That the regulator is failing in its primary duty under the Communications Act 2003 to protect the UK citizens consumer by not using its backstop powers under the Communications Act 2003 to prevent public sector contact centres using anything other than an 01 02 or 03 phone number for customer contact.

7. That the failure of the regular to adequately fulfil its primary duty under the Communications Act 2003 should be the subject of appropriate investigate by the relevant Parliamentary Select committee and/or by the Parliamentary Ombudsman.

8. That It appears that like the BBC, which Ofcom has so cheekily complained about over Premium Rate numbers that it allowed to exist, that Ofcom has entirely forgotten who it owes its primary duty to and that this primary duty is to the protection of the UK citizen consumer and not the profitability of UK businesses.

As you can see, points 3 to 8 are most probably not likely to get reported in newspapers anytime soon. That does not mean that they are any less valid discussion topics on here or that 1 and 2 will get media coverage.

But I agree with you in that to take Say No To 0870 forward, we need to focus on the bits that people associate with. This may be the cost of 084/087 calls versus 01/02 ones and the potential for companies using them to earn revenue; or it may be the charges made by GPs to book an appointment. Or is there another way of promoting it?  Huh

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #198 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 4:31pm

My Dear David,

I feel unable to draw any significant distinction between the role of citizens and the role of consumers in this matter in the way that appears to be important to you.  Indeed I would say that all adult citizens are normally consumers (unless they are in prison or a mental institution and even then they consume a limited range of services over which they may have some choice) and all consumers are always citizens depending on whom you define as a citizen.

Parliament seems to have had the same problem in differentiating meaningully between the duties of Ofcom to citizens rather than consumers under Section 3(i) of the Communications Act 2003.  It appears to express its duties to the two groups as amounting to the same thing.

I think to win this argument we have to keep it at The Sun speak or least Daily Mail speak level and I fear that in the rather esoteric and subtle distinctions you have tried to draw here that we are being sidetracked away from the main issue of people paying too much for their phone calls.

Some of your arguments seem to suggest that you think it is actually ok for people to have to pay extra to call their doctor for an appointment, as in your view many of them do so for frivolous reasons?

Also NHS doctors patients are not consumers in the conventional sense as they do not enjoy a meaningful choice of doctors and are not able to easily choose between them based on either price or quality of service.  Also due to imperfections in the market the actual process of switching doctors whilst living at the same address creates many impediments that deters most normal rational citizens and consumers from making such a change.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #199 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 4:35pm

Dave wrote on Aug 14th, 2007 at 4:24pm:
As you can see, points 3 to 8 are most probably not likely to get reported in newspapers anytime soon.

I would have thought that Point 3 was an entirely newsworthy point, especially for a newspaper's personal finance and/or consumer affairs reporters.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2007 at 4:40pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #200 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 4:48pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 14th, 2007 at 4:35pm:
I would have thought that Point 3 was an entirely newsworthy point, especially for a newspaper's personal finance and/or consumer affairs reporters.

NGMsGhost, I think you're splitting hairs here. I agree, but it is covered by my first point: call costs.

The reason for me referring back was to illustrate that the media doesn't tend to report on (not at first, at least) the in depth ins and outs of a subject which has had little coverage to date. If it catches the public's interest, then perhaps they will go into more detail, covering other points you make.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #201 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 6:06pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 14th, 2007 at 5:31pm:
I'm not splitting nearly as many as SilentCallsVictim in terms of the difference between citizens and consumers and their relationship with their doctors. Wink

I think he has a point. The fact is that the DOH says that 0844s are acceptable.

We are told that we must have choice in everything. You only have to visit the NHS homepage and you are bombarded with "NHS choices", note the lower case 'c' in the logo, probably cost hundreds of thousands that.  Roll Eyes

Choice means that, whatever the providers are providing, they must set themselves apart from one another. In this case, GPs are operating within the boundaries which the DOH set; that is that they allow 0844 numbers.

Some people don't like them, and as SilentCallsVictim has pointed out, people who object are in the minority. I do not read into that that he is justifying the GP/0844 cartel. He is pointing out that as patients get choice, so too do GPs and they are exercising their freedom (within the rules).

So, on the one hand you expect choice (consumerism) where you may leave one doctor for another if you consider that one is better than the other. In which case what I think SilentCallsVictim is saying is that it is the rules that need changing and thus he is really on our side.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #202 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 6:22pm

Dave wrote on Aug 14th, 2007 at 6:06pm:
So, on the one hand you expect choice (consumerism) where you may leave one doctor for another if you consider that one is better than the other. In which case what I think SilentCallsVictim is saying is that it is the rules that need changing and thus he is really on our side.

Well I wish he would say what he actually meant rather than approaching this as a game of forum chess.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #203 - Aug 15th, 2007 at 7:15pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Aug 15th, 2007 at 6:35pm:
I find it totally unacceptable for GPs to use revenue sharing numbers.

Well that is what 0844 numbers supplied by NEG are - revenue sharing numbers - so surely you oppose them then?

The revenue share is used to covertly pay for the free doctors switchboard and a far larger amount of the revenue share goes to line the pockets of the directors of NEG and their staff for the supposedly highly skilled task of selling and installing these systems in doctors surgeries.

If you do not like "ad hominem" argument then I regret this is not the place for you since the style of most campaigning against 084/7 numbers is distinctly "ad hominem" in approach in usually directing the attacks on to those we see as being primarily guilty for the decisions taken to swithch to using these numbers.  "Ad hominem" argument is in fact frequently used to great effect in political circles but I find it is eschewed by those who might be characterised as lofty eggheads or as overpaid civil servant such as Mr Matt Peacock from Ofcom who found it unacceptable that he should be attacked for continuing to work at a body where commitments he had personally given on BBC Radio 4 about providing alternatives to 084/7 numbers were not then honoured by Ofcom.

You may have been able to conduct your previous campaign on a basis that avoided an "ad hominem" approach because almost everyone actually supported the point you were making and all that was required was a sligh technical enhancment in databases and caling systems.  But no one in the call industry lost any serious money as a result.

But this campaign involves fighting tooth and nail against ruthles entrenched 084/7 interests who will stop at nothing to lie and cheat and mislead about the reals cost of 084/7 calls in order to protect their hidden billion pound a year industry.  Often such campaigning seems to require an "ad hominem" approach to make its point.

The fact that you even seem to feel guilty about using the list of 084/7 alternative numbers as though it was somehow illegal suggests to me that you also lack the ability to see it as being immoral that the regulator repeatedly allows more and more normal priced numbers to be turned in to covert premium rate numbers, in the processing wiping out most of the so called efforts made by Ofcom to increase competition in the telecoms market over the last few years.

I have no wish to disgaree with someone who has done such good work on combatting another telecoms menace but it does seem clear to me from the comments you have posted on the forum that you are not by nature really a saynot0870er.  Ever since I came to this website and this discussion forum around three years ago I have always found one of its most attractive features to be the almost complete synergy of mindset about this issue that exists between virtually all of the most longstanding campaigners.

Once you start saying that you think it is alright for some services to charge the caller through hidden call charges as you do then the logical consistency of your being able to object to any 084/7 number conversions begins to be almost totally undermined.

If of course you can offer us valuable advice on campaigning, even whilst not shaing all our objectives, then it would certainly be welcome to hear from you about that.

Although you say you are not comfortable posting your views on this forum as things stand virtually the only way members of this campaign to communicate with one another is through the forum.  So if you are not comfortable with that this is another stumbling block to you being an active part of this campaign....................

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #204 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 2:13am

http://www.stamfordtoday.co.uk/news?articleid=3116459

Published Date: 17 August 2007
Source: Stamford Mercury

GP surgeries defend phone number move

<<
GP surgeries have defended their decision to switch to a new and more expensive phone number.
The 0844 code, which is being used by more and more surgeries in the country, has been criticised for being too expensive.

But practices in Stamford, Billingborough and Rippingale, which switched to the number this year, have insisted the change is necessary to improve the service patients receive.

Nikki Kelley, practice manager of the Sheepmarket surgery in Stamford, said: “We moved to the new number after a customer satisfaction survey we are obliged to do each year.

“One of the emerging concerns was that people couldn’t always get through to the surgery so we made it a priority to do something about it.”

The new number was implemented by the surgery two months ago and Mrs Kelley admits there were complaints.

She said: “We did have some bad comments and there were a few problems with the changeover in the beginning but these were quickly ironed out. We are now getting a lot of comments from people who are very pleased with the new system.”

A spokesman for the New Springwell surgeries in Billingborough and Rippingale, which have been using the new number since February, has also defended the move.

She said: “Our main priority is to give better access to our doctors for our for patients. On the old system you could be waiting to speak to the one or two person on reception but with the new system you have options to go straight to who you need to speak too. Patients will end up spending a lot less time on the phones with the new system.”

The main complaint with the switch to the 0844 number has been the cost.

Mrs Kelley said the company which implemented the phone number in Stamford said all calls would cost 3.7p per minute. This was also agreed by the New Springwell practices.

In comparison, on the BT Option 1 landline, a local rate call at peak times is 3p a minute and 1p a minute during off-peak times.

Critics of the system say 0844, 0845, 0870, and 0871 numbers are often not included in the free minutes allocation of many call packages, where they are classed as premium rate numbers.

And despite the new numbers being endorsed by the Department of Health, telecoms industry regulator Ofcom has expressed its concern, claiming it is “not appropriate” for public bodies to use an 0844 number because of a “lack of transparency”.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #205 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 9:48am

idb wrote on Aug 17th, 2007 at 2:13am:
http://www.stamfordtoday.co.uk/news?articleid=3116459
<<

Nikki Kelley, practice manager of the Sheepmarket surgery in Stamford, said: “We moved to the new number after a customer satisfaction survey we are obliged to do each year.

>>

Since when has Ms Keeley had paying customers?

Did this only start when they indicated a preference to opt out of the NHS in a satisfaction survey?

What other services would they prefer to obtain on a private basis?

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #206 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:03am

Quote:

She said: “Our main priority is to give better access to our doctors for our for patients. On the old system you could be waiting to speak to the one or two person on reception but with the new system you have options to go straight to who you need to speak to. Patients will end up spending a lot less time on the phones with the new system.”

The main complaint with the switch to the 0844 number has been the cost.

Mrs Kelley said the company which implemented the phone number in Stamford said all calls would cost 3.7p per minute. This was also agreed by the New Springwell practices.

In comparison, on the BT Option 1 landline, a local rate call at peak times is 3p a minute and 1p a minute during off-peak times.

I like the idea of "options to go straight to who you need to speak to" when I call.  I'll speak to my doctor personally every time in future then and not have to deal with the jobsworths I usually get!  Hang on though, at 8.30am, when I ring to make an appointment, I need to speak to those same one (or two?) people - so what good is that? 

It's interesting to note that surgeries have to run " a customer satisfaction survey we are obliged to do each year".  So, when next year's survey reveals multiple complaints about the high cost of calling the surgery since the change, they'll change back to geographical numbers, won't they? 

Oh dear, there's that quoting call prices without VAT trick again!  Clever - 3.7p per minute sounds so much less. Wait a minute though, they've even lied about that.  5p/minute would be 4.2553p/minute without VAT (the 3.7p quoted would be 4.3475p after VAT has been added - and there's no such charging range in the 0844 numbering scheme).  It's still vastly more than the 'free' calls people with inclusive calls packages can make though.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:10am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #207 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:23am

idb wrote on Aug 17th, 2007 at 2:13am:
I'm sure they cant display costs without VAT included if its aimed at normal consumers, etc.

Besides 3.7p/min without VAT still doesn't come close to the 5p/min (inc VAT) it actually costs.  I think it should be around 4.2p/min without VAT.

I bet you Mrs Kelly and the surgery have been telling their patients that to make it look like they're paying less than a penny a minute more.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #208 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:34am

OK I am puzzled now in relation to 0845 numbers and why they cannot be included in all phone packages?
Because from the 1st August 2007 BT reduced the cost of 0845 to 2p per minute daytime, and increased calls to 01/02 numbers to 3.25p per minute,(62.5% more than an 0845), now as calls to 0845 cost less than calls to 01/02, why are they not being included in phone packages?

I know the evening rate is different, but 0845 are only 0.5p per minute, so revenue share cannot be available on that cost!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #209 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:52am

derrick wrote on Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:34am:
Because from the 1st August 2007 BT reduced the cost of 0845 to 2p per minute daytime, and increased calls to 01/02 numbers to 3.25p per minute,(62.5% more than an 0845), now as calls to 0845 cost less than calls to 01/02, why are they not being included in phone packages?

I know the evening rate is different, but 0845 are only 0.5p per minute, so revenue share cannot be available on that cost!

This is obviously being done in anticipation of 1st Feb 2008 so that 0845 number users can still turn round and say they are giving theit customers a cheaper deal with BT than if they had an 01/02 number .  It is clearly an attempt to reverse out the tactical marketing error made on 1st July 2005 when national calls became the same as local calls on BT Option 1.  I expect it has even been demanded by some of the major 0845 users like HMRC to justify them not changing to 03.  It is clearly an attempt to defeat pressure on 0845 users to switch to 03.  It will also be used to try and defeat any claims that 0845 are not lo-call or local rate.

BT can afford to do this from the increased connection charge and by slightly cutting their own revenue share on these calls while leaving most of the revenue sharers money intact.

Clearly it is all part of a cunning attempt by the NGN industry and BT (who provide the largest proportion of these numbers) to try to undermine the ability of our campaign to launch an onslaught on 0845 being the new covert premium rate come 1st Feb 2008.

The connection charge and per minute charging is all part of a massive hidden price rise that Ofcom has sanctioned and is now being used to support these phoney call price cuts.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2007 at 12:07pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge