Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print
PETITION to No. 10 - Prevent doctors using 0844 (Read 233,303 times)
loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
PETITION to No. 10 - Prevent doctors using 0844
Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:56pm

This Petition runs until Feb 15th 2008 and I believe we should give it all the support we can.   Vote now!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs/

General Medical Practioners are being persuaded, by telephone equipment suppliers and service providers, to change from the use of local 01 and 02 geographic numbers to a non-geographic 0844 number to book an appointment and 0870 numbers for calls from overseas countries. The patient has to remember a 11 or 12 digit number as againt a 5 or 6 digit local call number. These numbers are also revenue sharing numbers and generate an income for the doctors surgery and/or the telephone service provider and encourage the queing of calls to generate extra revenue. It is not possible to make a 0870 call from most overseas counties and therefore you or a hospital will not beable to contact your doctor for information. After hours doctor services are also using the 0870 number for incoming calls This practice penalises the poor, elderly and other persons who do not have access to a home phone and must rely on a public phone box and is additional un-neccessary burden and cost on illness.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007 at 9:18pm by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: PETITION to No. 10 - Prevent doctors using 084
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 9:27pm

Still only 277 signatures tonight, scarcely any more than when I signed it yesterday.  So clearly only hardcore members of this forum have so far signed.  Depressing.

What this needs is for a couple of major mass circulation papers like The Sun and The Daily Mirror to give the link for the petition in an article about the NEG scam, whilst also clearly the Daily Mail, Daily Express, The Times, Telegraph, Independent Guardian etc mentioning it would all be nice but won't get nearly as many signatures as The Sun and The Daily Mirror.  We need to get it on Page 1 by signatures of the PM petitions website and after that the signatures will snowball as site visitors always look for other interesting popular petitions to sign.

As a start though if Daniel could use the box on the home page of this website that normally mentions government consultations to link to the petition it would be a start and if Martin Lewis would also give the petition a plug in his weekly MoneySaving email it would obviously be worth several thousand more signatures.  In fact posting the link in any popular very busy web forum (i.e. unlike this one) you belong to would help.

loddon as you are an NEG patient why not start talking to the news desks at the tabloids to see if you can get them interested.

Its clear that people having to pay extra to call their doctor is a lot more emotive than people being ripped off about calling Sky or the BBC, which they at least in theory have some nominal control over deciding whether or not they need to do.

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 9:52pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 27th, 2007 at 9:27pm:
As a start though if Daniel could use the box on the home page of this website that normally mentions government consultations to link to the petition it would be a start .

I agree with you entirely.  I did ask for this on April 16th in the Doctors Surgeries Topic.   So could our Global Moderator pick this up now and get it onto the home page???  Please!!!  

I have always felt that this Topic would be a weak point for the NTS industry, and therefore a good tactical point for attacking the universal evil of 087/084 numbers.   And now we are getting some momentum with not only National newspapers covering this story, but also a growing number of Local papers.   This is most encouraging.

You can be assured that I am continuing to talk to the press and finding extremely varying levels of interest in this issue.    Certainly there is more interest in this doctors surgery issue than the wider NTS issue at the moment.   Anyway I would hint that you should keep a watchful eye out for something appearing on Monday -- not certain but a good chance.   And I have already asked for this Petition to be given a mention.

While the Sun and the Mirror are not my natural field of play I will be trying.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 10:05pm

loddon wrote on Jul 27th, 2007 at 9:52pm:
While the Sun and the Mirror are not my natural field of play I will be trying.

The reporters are still pretty bright people on these tabloid newspapers.  Its just that the style of reporting is, how shall we say, rather different in its approach.

The main obstacle is to get the editor to make space for a serious story ahead of one about tv celebrities or footballers.  Also even if you get a reporter interested your story is still more in danger of being squeezed out by the Editor suddenly deciding that coverage of one of the aforesaid areas is more important.

But I think "doctors are scamming their poor, elderly sick patients" would rate pretty highly on the list of emotive serious stories that they are usually fond of running.

0844 are also a weak spot for Ofcom and the NHS since the code has no historic link to local rate like 0845 and Ofcom's only justification for failing to transfer them to ICSTIS regulation was that they thought an up to £3 per hour ripoff didn't involve a serious level of consumer detriment.

<div style=

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 11:07pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 27th, 2007 at 9:27pm:
In fact posting the link in any popular very busy web forum (i.e. unlike this one) you belong to would help.

I've shared the link on one of my online profiles with a plea to all my friends to go out and sign the petition. That should hopefully get us a few more votes Smiley.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007 at 11:07pm by jgxenite »  

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 1:41am

Still under 300 signatures unfortunately but I see that a Peter Bone has now signed.  Could this be the same Peter Bone who is MP for Wellingborough I wonder and if so perhaps he is also well known to one of our other existing forum members. Wink

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 1:46pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 29th, 2007 at 1:41am:
Still under 300 signatures

Well over 400 now and starting to accelerate.

Many thanks to our website managers for putting the message on the home page!

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 9:52pm

Passed 500 now.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 2:14am

One mention in the Daily Mail or the Daily Express and it would be 200,000 before you can say knife.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2007 at 11:49pm by DaveM »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 7:40am

Or 'Princess Diana' in the case of the Express.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2007 at 11:50pm by DaveM »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 7:49pm

The Petition is now comfortably past 1000 votes!!!!!!!!! Grin

Its added over 500 in the last 3 days purely because of the message on the home page -- thanks.    People are now learning of its existence and it seems immediately signing.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 2:46pm

And now we have exceeded 1500 votes!!  Grin Grin

That's 500 in less than 3 days!!! Smiley

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 2:51pm

Woo! Cheesy Seems it has really picked up speed in the last few days, and hopefully will persuade the government to get off its backside and do something about it (although I suspect NEG and all other associated providers will be "convincing" the government otherwise).

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 2:53pm

Also, there seem to be a few Dr. entries which is always good - nice to get some support from GPs!

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 8:06pm

More than 2000 votes!!!! Smiley Smiley Grin

When it gets to 4000 we get onto the front page of Petitions by size!  Then it may start to really take off.

Has anyone any further suggestions for publicising this Petition?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge