Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print
PETITION to No. 10 - Prevent doctors using 0844 (Read 234,611 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: PETITION to No. 10 - Prevent doctors using 084
Reply #30 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 1:19pm

To remove the posts themselves would remove the logical flow of the thread unless Simmond001 was to agree to also remove all their posts as well in response.

--Admin edit 13/08/07 18:52 - Posts by Simmond001 also removed regarding this misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:53pm by Forum Admin »  

<div style=

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #31 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 1:23pm

simond001 wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 1:01pm:
Regarding you request as to when an 087 or 084 NGN offers a benefit to the user, i would direct you to a post on saynoto0870.com
http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1185069189 ; rather ironic that this website does support the use on NGN's where it suits them.

There is a slight difference between covert NGN profit (such as a certain "travel information line" which is being discussed elsewhere on this forum, and corporations who can afford to use geographic numbers - even 03 numbers - but choose to use NGNs because they want to profit from your calls, whether or not they claim that to be the case), and acceptable and genuine uses of NGN profit for services such as cheap calls to abroad.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2007 at 1:24pm by jgxenite »  

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #32 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 2:15pm

jgxenite wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 1:23pm:
and acceptable and genuine uses of NGN profit for services such as cheap calls to abroad.

These 084 and 087 call thru numbers are about the only legitimate example of value added 084 and 087 services to the consumer that I can think of.  Also all the companies that operate them clearly state the pence per minute for calling, unlike the plethora of other ripoff merchants who operate 084 and 087 numbers and who frequently still try to pretend the numbers are charged at local rate or national rate.  Or they have inconveniently failed to educated their call centre staff out of this misapprehension which is inherent in the deliberately double dealing way Ofcom have allowed the cost of calling these numbers in comparison to other UK numbers to change without any efforts at publicising the fact on their part.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #33 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 6:13pm

Its now at 3,002 signatures and Captain Duncan Tee was the 3,000th signatory. Smiley

At this rate it will be on Page 1 by size (top 50 petitions by signature) before we know it. Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2007 at 6:14pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #34 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 8:45pm

It now has 3,642 signatures and is in position 2 on the second page ordered by size of live 10 Downing Street petitions.  That's position 52 overall as there are 50 petitions per page.

It is about to move on to Page 1 where it will start to pick up a lot more signatures from people who visit to sign other popular petitions in the top 50 and come across this one.

I would be interested to know if most of the signatures have been generated just by traffic visiting this website and seeing the link on the home page?  Perhaps Daniel can reveal how many unique visitors a day this website now typically receives?

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #35 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 11:39am

Has anyone thought how many signatures we could get for this petition if we could identify all the NEG surgeries that use them and then picket them during surgery hours by handing out leaflets outside that give the detalls of the 10 Downing Street EPetition against these numbers.

We could also give out details of the www.saynoto0870.com website at the same time.

Is anyone else up for this idea.  I am prepared to have a go with some of my nearby NEG surgeries in Crawley.

<div style=

IP Logged

simond001

Reply #36 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 12:01pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 18th, 2007 at 11:39am:
Has anyone thought how many signatures we could get for this petition if we could identify all the NEG surgeries that use them and then picket them during surgery hours by handing out leaflets outside that give the detalls of the 10 Downing Street EPetition against these numbers.

We could also give out details of the www.saynoto0870.com website at the same time.

Is anyone else up for this idea.  I am prepared to have a go with some of my nearby NEG surgeries in Crawley.

That'll go down well with people looking for privacy whilst visiting a doctor.

Still amazed that you (in you mind) appear to associate a single company with this practice against all of the advice you have been given. Do you have a petty grievance with NEG or is it ignorance?

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #37 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 12:13pm

simond001 wrote on Aug 18th, 2007 at 12:01pm:

We won't be asking what's wrong with them will we though and I don't think being ill is in itself a shameful matter.  A doctor's surgery is hardly in the same category as a VD or AIDS clinic is it.

Quote:
Still amazed that you (in you mind) appear to associate a single company with this practice against all of the advice you have been given. Do you have a petty grievance with NEG or is it ignorance?

My understanding is that NEG accounts for the vast majority of doctors surgeries that have switched to using 0844 call systems but anyhow the 10 Downing Street petition is generic so we could simply our focus in opposing the use of 0844 numbers by doctors at 5p per minute and the fact they are excluded from calling packages and also cost a fortune from mobile and especially BT Payphones.

As you are such an expert on the UK phone systems and NGN number termination perhaps you can tell me why BT needs to charge a 1200% mark up on calling 0844 numbers from BT Payphones compared to only a 66% markup from a BT landline compared to the cost of calling an 01 or 02 number? Shocked

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #38 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 12:32pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 18th, 2007 at 12:13pm:
...we could simply our focus in opposing the use of 0844 numbers by doctors at 5p per minute and the fact they are excluded from calling packages and also cost a fortune from mobile and especially BT Payphones....
but yet NEG would have their customers (surgeries, etc) and ultimately us patients believe that 0844 is local rate and costs from mobiles aren't that much different (I think I remember NEG mentioning that in a case study or something)!!!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #39 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 12:35pm

bbb_uk wrote on Aug 18th, 2007 at 12:32pm:
but yet NEG would have their customers (surgeries, etc) and ultimately us patients believe that 0844 is local rate and costs from mobiles aren't that much different (I think I remember NEG mentioning that in a case study or something)!!!

Yes it is the fact that NEG are blatant, bare faced and unashamed liars about the cost of these calls that mark them out for the special attentions of this campaign.

Also the fact that  the numbers are used for calling your doctor when you are ill.  This means you have no choice about calling the number and no choice of switching to another doctor instead at that point.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2007 at 12:36pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

simond001

Reply #40 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 12:54pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 18th, 2007 at 12:13pm:
simond001 wrote on Aug 18th, 2007 at 12:01pm:

We won't be asking what's wrong with them will we though and I don't think being ill is in itself a shameful matter.  A doctor's surgery is hardly in the same category as a VD or AIDS clinic is it.

Quote:

My understanding is that NEG accounts for the vast majority of doctors surgeries that have switched to using 0844 call systems but anyhow the 10 Downing Street petition is generic so we could simply our focus in opposing the use of 0844 numbers by doctors at 5p per minute and the fact they are excluded from calling packages and also cost a fortune from mobile and especially BT Payphones.

As you are such an expert on the UK phone systems and NGN number termination perhaps you can tell me why BT needs to charge a 1200% mark up on calling 0844 numbers from BT Payphones compared to only a 66% markup from a BT landline compared to the cost of calling an 01 or 02 number? Shocked

As i have stated (many many times) I do not approve of all aspects of the telecoms industry. It is abhorant that Bt charge a minimum 40pence charge for using a public payphone, especially when the callmay go to an automated nswer. I am not talking a surgery line here, but a general observance that call charges from payphones are far too high. BT will state that the cost of maintaining payphones has increases exponentially over the last 15 years, and the revenue collected from each payphone doesnot cover the cost. BT stated long ag that they would prefer to remove payphone from the majority of the UK, but are unable to under Government regulation.

Whether the individual surgeries can justify the use of 084's is not for debate here as we are not offering them to right to respond. It is surely up to them to decide whether it will negatively or positively affect their business. Patients do have the option to move doctors if they wish, and as GP's incomes are based partly on the number of patients they have this would be an effective way for patients to show their dissatisfaction.

I again believe however that if there is a benefit to using the system (on phone appointment booking, checking in at surgery, auto divert to out of hours servics/surgeries etc..) that the cost of a phone call is a very small price to pay. The aspect of not being able to call internationally could be very easily solved by offering a central geo number that transfers the call or takes  message for the individual surgeries and passes this on within a short timeframe (2 minutes  by email would be simple to set up). The individual surgery could then respond directly to the hospital / doctor that is requesting information. This could also be easily set up to via a telephone translation service that would remove the issue of language.

Of course, this all has to be paid for, but as with everything, quality service costs.

IP Logged

simond001

Reply #41 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 1:00pm

..although it is clear that common sense will not prevail here as the dominant force behind this post has issues with anybody of a higher standing than himself.  
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2007 at 4:07pm by simond001 »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #42 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 1:23pm

simond001,

I enjoy your intelligent posts such as your last one more than your rather patronising or belittling ones.  Clearly you know your subject, even though I am pretty sure we are still not on the same side.

Taking your point about paying for the service so who pays for the uneducated urchin from the council estate or the gypsy child that needs a heart transplant.  The NHS pays for all of it does it not.  They are not thought to be too unvaluable to the economy to be worth saving compared to a company director such as perhaps yourself are they. Even though goes against normal market economics.

With this being so and taking in particular your shared dislike of BT's obscene costs for calling NGNs from Payphones, compared to their resonable costs for calling GNs (provided the call lasts around 10 minutes and so covers the 40p connection charge) then how can you justify using 0844 for the doctor when this may mean the crippled 80 year old with a sick wife on the councill estate and who has had their BT line cut off (due to their poverty) having to go round the corner to the phone box on a freezing December night to find they do not have the £1.70 in change that may be needed for a 10 minute call to 0844.

Shouldn't the same principle of the poorest members of the community not being denied access to their doctor due to their income apply?  This is done for prescriptions but the charge is not waived for pensioners who need to call 0844 numbers.

You seem to want it have both ways in clearly earning a living that in part depends on the NGN calls system without then being prepared to accept that problems such as the ones I have highlighted above then become inevitable.

I would respectfully suggest that if those earning over £50k per annum pay 50% income tax that this would be a more acceptable way to fund enhanced phone technology at the dotor, without ending the use of 01/02 geographic numbers and normal calling rates.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #43 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 2:56pm

Its now on Page 1 of the 10 Downing Street Petitions website listed by size at position 50 with 3,737 signatures.  Many thanks to all those who have signed so far. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Expect signatures to accelerate from this point on now that casual visitors to the 10 Downing Street website or signatories to other petitions on the website are likely to come across it.

Also national newspaper journalists and the Department of Health are likely to start to take notice of it.  Not to mention the odd GP using these 0844 numbers.

Thinking further on the question of encouraging patients of these surgeries to sign up to the petition I suppose the answer would be to leafelt all homes within say a mile of any 0844 using doctor's surgery.  That is far more likely to get a big response rather than picking off only those small number of patients visiting their doctor on any given particular day.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2007 at 2:56pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #44 - Aug 20th, 2007 at 10:02am

It now has 4,009 signatures and is in Position 45 by size.

Hopefully it should pick up even more signatures once people are back from summer holidays in a couple of weeks.

We really need to get coverage for the petition in a newsletter aimed at doctors and nurses.

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge