Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Nationwide Building Society (Read 222,824 times)
jamesbond

Suffolk
Re: Nationwide Alternative
Reply #60 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 8:43pm

Hi there!

I and no doubt the other members of this will try and find out geo numbers, however I know that in this case with Nationwide B.S. will be hard.

James Bond

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Re: Nationwide Building Society
Reply #61 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 3:54pm

Hi James Bond, I was actually told that the underlying geographical numbers wouldd be "switched off" progressively, starting with some branches in January 09 and being completed by June 09, the intention being that there would be no geo no to discover.   I was also advised that I could ring the call centre and ask to be put through to my branch (far more efficient, of course!!!!!).  In my last, extremely angry, email to the Chief Exec, I did say I might be forced to email him every time I needed to speak to my branch and ask him to arrange for them to phone me (particularly as the only times I ever need to call is because Nationwide has made an error)!   Maybe we should all try that???   I also have the names, email addresses and current geo tel nos of teh Customer Servies and Member Services Managers if anyone would like them.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #62 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 4:11pm

Thanks for this.  Decision made re the large sum the GL and I have in a Nationwide variable rate 3-year bond (now paying a miserable 1% or so) which is due to mature in 5 months.

They are clearly not a friendly society any longer and are now just more incompetent bankers!
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2009 at 4:19pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #63 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 5:32pm

Barbara wrote on Mar 7th, 2009 at 3:54pm:
Hi James Bond, I was actually told that the underlying geographical numbers wouldd be "switched off" progressively, starting with some branches in January 09 and being completed by June 09, the intention being that there would be no geo no to discover. …

All 08xx numbers have underlying numbers. So the actual "underlying" geographical numbers cannot be "switched off".

I think what they are saying is that the current (or "old") 01/02 numbers will be disabled progressively from January to June 2009.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #64 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 5:49pm

Heinz,  agree absolutely.  They are following an identical path to HSBC who ceased to have geo branch numbers a few years ago, this began the slippery slope to total incompetence hence we moved to Nationwide.    Nationwide are ending geo branch numbers and their main customer service has deteriorated almost simultaneously - last year their credit card number was inaccessible for over a week (both geo and NGN, even staff in other depts couldn't get through), they also now have a voice activated menu system which interpreted my request to speak to someone about tel nos as home insurance (that was not my first problem with the system!).  They no longer accept payments in branch other than for their own credit card,   generally they seem to want to make dealing with them as difficult, stressful and unpleasant as possible.  I have made the point to them about the appalling standing of banks - wouldn't they like to be different?   Obviouly they don't care.   Unfortunately, all banks seem to use only ngns so there is no choice.   You're right as well about their rates - awful!   How long before we have to pay them to store our money??

Dave, thanks you have raised a very interesting point.  I had originally thought all 08 numbers had underlying geo numbers but I seem to remember, when making this point about HSBC a while ago, someone senior on the forum saying that organisations could circumvent this by using VOIP which is what they thought HSBC were doing.   Could Nationwide be doing the same?   Or is it worth trying to find the geo nos?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #65 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 7:43pm

Dave wrote on Mar 7th, 2009 at 5:32pm:
All 08xx numbers have underlying numbers.

This is a very bold statement.

It seems to totally deny the possibility of calls being routed through some internal mechansim, rather than the public network, after arriving at the non-geographic number. We know that the public network is widely used for this purpose and that some geo numbers appear to provide access to the same intelligent network features as offered by non-geos. I am not however sure that we have all the evidence necessary to support so bold a statement.

In answer to Barbara, who also queries this statement. On the day when banks start charging us for storing our money, I will ask for payment for storing theirs.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2009 at 7:43pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #66 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 10:20pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Mar 7th, 2009 at 7:43pm:

It seems to totally deny the possibility of calls being routed through some internal mechansim, rather than the public network, after arriving at the non-geographic number.

Indeed.  For instance, I have two 03* NGNs for which there is no underlying geographic number at all.  They arrive at A&A (whom are acting as a telco) and are then forwarded (free) across the internet to my local asterisk PABX.  Yes, I have geo numbers /as well/ but nothing in the setup of the NGNs requires that, and indeed, they are handled differently when they get here.

I've also got an 056 number provided by one of my outbound VoIP suppliers.  Others offer 0870 / 0845 etc numbers, which would be delivered without the need for a Geographic number.  

Since Abbey use 056 numbers, which are definitely VoIP, for their branches, I would not be surprised to find they do not have any actual 01/02 numbers for the branches any more.  Nationwide could be moving towards the same sort of system, but using the more expensive number ranges!

Edit: One quick google later, and here is an example of a company offering 0870 numbers delivered via SIP (VoIP), so no geo number needed.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2009 at 10:24pm by irrelevant »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #67 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 10:36pm

irrelevant wrote on Mar 7th, 2009 at 10:20pm:
SilentCallsVictim wrote on Mar 7th, 2009 at 7:43pm:

It seems to totally deny the possibility of calls being routed through some internal mechansim, rather than the public network, after arriving at the non-geographic number.

Indeed.  For instance, I have two 03* NGNs for which there is no underlying geographic number at all.  They arrive at A&A (whom are acting as a telco) and are then forwarded (free) across the internet to my local asterisk PABX. …

So you have tried all A&A geographical numbers to prove that no underlying geographical number exists?

One provider I know of has geographical numbers allocated to it that are the underlying numbers to its 08xx numbers. They have the IVR on, just like the 084xs. I strongly suspect that its customers are unaware of these intermediate underlying numbers.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #68 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 1:59am

Here is a response sent to Barbara. She has asked me to post it on her behalf:

Quote:
Dear Barbara

Following your recent emails with Martina Weymes, Head of Customer Experience, your case has been passed to Member Service for review.

As I understand it you are unhappy with the decision to change our Branch telephone numbers to those beginning with 0845 as these types of numbers are not included in inclusive call packages.

Regrettably, there is nothing further I can add to what Martina has said in her communication to you and the Society's position remains unchanged. These types of decisions are not made lightly though we believe the overall benefit to our customers of being able to manage our calls more effectively will help increase overall member satisfaction.

I realise this will disappoint you so I am enclosing details of the Financial Ombudsman Service, from which you will see that if you decide to raise your case with the Ombudsman, you need to do so within six months of the date of this letter.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #69 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 2:29am

Dave wrote on Mar 7th, 2009 at 10:36pm:
So you have tried all A&A geographical numbers to prove that no underlying geographical number exists?

One provider I know of has geographical numbers allocated to it that are the underlying numbers to its 08xx numbers. They have the IVR on, just like the 084xs. I strongly suspect that its customers are unaware of these intermediate underlying numbers.

Hang on a minute, this is getting a bit silly.

The SayNo database contains many useful numbers, many of which could be described as being the “underlying” numbers to those for which they serve as an alternative.

It is a big leap to go from there to the bold assertion that “All 08xx numbers have underlying numbers” and to place the burden of proof on those who cannot accept that leap.

I cannot offer proof that some 08xx numbers do not have underlying numbers, but that does not oblige me to accept that they all do, simply because it can be shown that some do. I stand ready to be convinced one way or the other, however I believe that improper use of revenue sharing numbers needs to tackled at source, even if publication and use of alternatives can be shown to be successful in undermining it.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #70 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 7:39pm

Source: BT

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=caeb40f5-d065-447b-...

BT DC08-231                                                                                          June 30 2008
BT signs outsourcing contract with Nationwide Building Society

BT today announced a new agreement with Nationwide Building Society to manage its networked IT services in a seven year outsourcing deal worth £160 million. Under this new, business-aligned outsourcing service, Nationwide will transfer all voice and data networking infrastructure, third party network contracts and in-scope staff to BT.

As part of the contract, BT will deliver a service transformation programme under which they will consolidate Nationwide’s multiple networks onto its industry-leading 21CN Global network which will support both voice and data services on a single converged platform. BT will also deliver enhanced remote access facilities to Nationwide’s non-office based employees.

The new model will introduce a flexible commercial model providing Nationwide with cost predictability whilst based on industry best practice and a framework of service level agreements (SLAs) at a reduced overall total cost of ownership.

Traditionally, Nationwide has developed and managed its IT operations in-house and procured point solutions from external suppliers where necessary. This agreement marks a shift towards a preference for a multi-sourcing model for IT services that can provide Nationwide with a reduced overall service cost and with improved service flexibility.

Peter Stafford, Head of IT Infrastructure at Nationwide, said: “Nationwide’s growth in recent years has meant that our IT infrastructure has also had to evolve at an exponential rate to keep up with demand and we must now seek the most efficient and scalable infrastructure service possible to support this. Having worked with BT for a number of years, we are very confident in the team’s ability to fulfil our requirements.”

François Barrault, CEO, BT Global Services, said: “Our clients increasingly see BT as a trusted partner to operate the networked IT processes and assets which are not a core part of their business proposition. Nationwide chose BT for its ability to deliver a standardised, cost effective network infrastructure and a well-governed but innovation-led approach to future service management. In delivering this contract, BT will build on its unrivalled track record in providing transformational network centric outsourced solutions which meet the demands of the financial services industry.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #71 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 7:48pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Mar 8th, 2009 at 2:29am:
Dave wrote on Mar 7th, 2009 at 10:36pm:

The SayNo database contains many useful numbers, many of which could be described as being the “underlying” numbers to those for which they serve as an alternative.

It is a big leap to go from there to the bold assertion that “All 08xx numbers have underlying numbers” and to place the burden of proof on those who cannot accept that leap.

I cannot offer proof that some 08xx numbers do not have underlying numbers, but that does not oblige me to accept that they all do, simply because it can be shown that some do. I stand ready to be convinced one way or the other, however I believe that improper use of revenue sharing numbers needs to tackled at source, even if publication and use of alternatives can be shown to be successful in undermining it.

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

The point I was making was that just because irrelevant hasn't been told about an underlying number does not mean one doesn't exist. To prove either way would be nigh on impossible.

I have no professional knowledge to say either way. All I know is from my experience finding alternative numbers. Geographical numbers do exist for organisations which are not published and which non-geographical numbers point to.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2009 at 7:52pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #72 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 4:03pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Mar 8th, 2009 at 2:29am:

In short, yes, every call to an NGM goes to an 'underlying number', but, no, not all calls to an NGN necessarily go to one 'underlying number'. It not possible to obtain a landline phone service that does not have a GN.

Whenever an NGN is dialled, the GN and the routing is obtained through a series of database look-ups. The GN might be the same for every call, but could equally be dictated by day of week, time of day, which region the caller is in, randomly to share calls between offices, or dynamically by the 'user' of the NGM. I could change at will the redirection GN of the 0870 number that is published for contacting me by using the internet or the automated menu system over the phone, and I can specify a series of GNs for use in various eventualities such as 'no answer' or 'busy'. Obtaining an 'underlying number' would not benefit any potential caller as I might not be at that location.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #73 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 8:02pm

pw4 wrote on Mar 9th, 2009 at 4:03pm:
I could change at will the redirection GN of the 0870 number that is published for contacting me by using the internet or the automated menu system over the phone, and I can specify a series of GNs for use in various eventualities such as 'no answer' or 'busy'.

Thanks to PW4 for describing what may be one possible arrangement for use of a NGN.

I am not however convinced that this is the only possible type of arrangement, i.e. that all calls to non-geographic numbers are simply routed to a "GN". It is implied, or stated, that the routing of NGN calls is always done at the point of origination using database lookups that provide the GN (or rather the routing that corresponds to a GN). If this were so, then it would indeed be necessary to have a point on the public network (i.e. a GN) to which each call was routed , even if that were not a single point for each NGN.

I have heard talk of an intelligent switch associated with the NGN, which handles and distributes calls as they arrive, possibly holding them to await selection of an option before deciding where to route them. If this alternative method of handling calls to NGNs were used, perhaps only in some cases, then surely there would be the option to route calls over a private network, e.g. using IP, to the point where they are answered, without having to use a GN.

pw4 wrote on Mar 9th, 2009 at 4:03pm:
Obtaining an 'underlying number' would not benefit any potential caller as I might not be at that location.

Many of the alternative numbers in the "SayNo" database do not offer exactly the same service as those against which they are given. Some could be said to be equivalent to one of PW4s "underlying numbers", and so there is no good reason why these numbers are not in the database - perhaps they are!

I am not sure if anyone believes that every NGN has a GN equivalent as a simple alternative. Life would be so much easier if this were so, but I fear that we have to deal with the sadly complex reality of the world as it is.

On a related, if broader, point, which could be relevant to Nationwide. We all recognise the benefit that publication of alternative numbers can provide to those who use them. Can we offer any example of an organisation that has been forced to abandon one or more revenue sharing numbers, or to itself publish alternatives, as a result of alternatives having been published in the "SayNo" database?

I have read of cases where alternatives have been changed or disconnected. This could be classed as a type of victory, if the numbers were truly valid alternatives, if not it is a shameful defeat. I am thinking of cases where a revenue sharing number has been removed from the database because its presence there, with an alternative, can be shown to have caused it to be abandoned.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #74 - Mar 16th, 2009 at 9:33am

Another kick in the teeth for Nationwide customers!

Rather off topic of telephone numbers but in keeping with the general tone that Nationwide has decided to abandon its customers' interests & become like all other banks, this morning I received an update of revised credit card conditions.   They are now going to pass on some of the fee for transactions abroad which had hitherto been the bonus of having their credit card.  I am sure NGM's Ghost will be very interested in this as it is one of his major reasons for having their card.   This comes hard on the heels of their abolition of payment of interest on sizeable deposits in Fexaccounts (their current account).   So much for a member-led society!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge