Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Nationwide Building Society (Read 222,815 times)
Barbara
Supreme Member

Re: Nationwide Building Society
Reply #45 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 7:36pm

Just to say the email address for Nationwide's Chief Executive is:
graham.beale@nationwide.co.uk   This works as I have used it previously.   I would urge all forum members who have any business with Nationwide to email him asap to try and make them re-think before they start switching off the existin numbers.

There is also a link (not on the main Nationwide website) to obtain all senior management details, perhaps they should all have a copy of complaints? It is:
www.nationwide.co.uk/about_nationwide/corporate_governance/management
if this is helpful to anyone.

IP Logged

jamesbond

Suffolk
Reply #46 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 4:52pm

Hi there!

With regards to the Nationwide Building Society in Ipswich the geo number is 01473 580900, however the ' incorrect number ' is 0845 2660654.  I must inform you, that this geo number still works and goes through to a UK call centre.

James Bond

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #47 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:48pm

I have joined all threads on Nationwide together.

Barbara has asked me to post on her behalf, a response she has received:

Quote:
Thank you for your enquiry which has been passed to me for comment.

The issue of phone numbers is a complex one and what ever numbers areused there are winners and losers. On January 8th 2009 BT announced thatit was making calls to 0870 and 0845 numbers free as it had decided toinclude these numbers in their call packages.  Currently around 10.4million BT Customers (73% of their total customer base) have a plan thatgives them inclusive weekend calls, 3.2 million customers have eveningand weekend inclusive calls and the remaining 0.8 million have unlimitedinclusive calls. We do not have data for other telecoms companies but itwould be reasonable to assume a similar mix.

There are other, technical, reasons why adopting geographic numbers isnot desirable. As we operate over multiple sites we utilisesophisticated functionality that is currently only available onnon-geographic numbers. This enables us to distribute calls across oursites and provide us with functionality to immediately rerouted calls toalternative locations should a problem (e.g. a fire alarm or systemsfailure) affect a particular location rendering it partly or whollyunusable.

Our decision therefore is to remain with 0845 and 0800 for the timebeing for what will be I hope you accept, in the interest of themajority of our members.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:48pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #48 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 12:24am

The reply seems to suggest that they have thought about the issue, but have missed out on a couple of important factors.

The latest Ofcom statistics show that BT's share of residential calls by duration has now fallen just below 50%. This relates on to landlines. Unless Nationwide members are atypical, an approach designed to take advantage of a perverse discounting approach by a single provider, cannot be to the advantage of a majority of members.

Although some would dispute the suggestion that non-geographic numbers offer valuable facilities not available on geo numbers, 03xx provides the obvious and equitable solution for organisations such as Nationwide. This would ensure that no member makes a disproportionate contribution to the funding of the society's telephone systems on account of their choice of telephone service provider. As the largest Buidling Society, the principle of equity should be one that appeals to the Nationwide board.

I am not a member, so this is none of my business. It is for members to press this issue, as they are the owners of the Society.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #49 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 9:56am

Quote:
There are other, technical, reasons why adopting geographic numbers isnot desirable. As we operate over multiple sites we utilisesophisticated functionality that is currently only available on non-geographic numbers. This enables us to distribute calls across oursites and provide us with functionality to immediately rerouted calls toalternative locations should a problem (e.g. a fire alarm or systemsfailure) affect a particular location rendering it partly or whollyunusable.

These are standard lies used by 084/7 number using call centres for many years and are usually provided to them by their telecoms suppliers who profit from the calls to the numbers.

What is particularly monstrous in Nationwide's case is that they have switched to 0845 numbers for their branches only after 03 numbers were already available, having always retained geographic numbers up to that point (except for their national credit card and telephone banking centres that have always used 0845 for many years).  The history to that is that Nationwide used to have a Board of Directors that ran things in the interests of members but then its Board Members were largely replaced by the usual bonus hungry careerists that have got the banks in to so much trouble.  It is these people who no doubt suddenly were persuaded they could get their outgoing calls cheaper and free switchboard equipment and phone maintenance etc by using numbers they hoped to be able to stil portray as "local" and their telephone suppliers no doubt alleged were "local rate".

The position is simple.  If Nationwide find the benefits of call re-routing and so on (usually illusory and simply a lie used to justify the revenue share benefits that are the real motivation for the use of 084/7 numbers) so compelling they should switch to 03 numbers.  If 03 numbers are more expensive to run than 01/02 numbers in total terms after allowing for all ancillary costs then the society should revert to issuing 01/02 numbers for its branches.

The use of 084/7 numbers by a member owned institution that prides itself on not charging many other ripoff fees charged by the large banks (eg 2.75% "foreign exchange rate levy"/aka shareholders bubbly fund) is simply not defensible and I for one as a member of their Society am livid about it.

Worse still is that their staff are still widely telling customers that 0845 numbers are "definitely local rate" and that they are right and the customer is wrong if the customer dares challenge the Society on its use of these numbers.

As usual SCV you are acting as an apologist for the scammers.  I will continue to lack patience with you on this forum until you stop excusing the actions of the scammers. Shocked Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2009 at 9:58am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #50 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 10:00am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 14th, 2009 at 12:24am:
I am not a member, so this is none of my business. It is for members to press this issue, as they are the owners of the Society.

Aha so your reasons for complaining so extensively about the use of 084 numbers by the National Health Service and their contractors (GPs) does not spring from any higher form of altruism but merely out of financial self interest then? Wink Roll Eyes Tongue
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2009 at 10:01am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #51 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 12:11am

With reference to the latest posts.

If I were a member of an orgainisation and became convinced that is that was deliberately set on practicing deceipt in my name and to my fainancial advantage, then I would probably leave; especially if I were also convinced that its democratic processes had failed. I certainly would not seek to draw public attention to my reluctant, if modest, participation in a scam.

I do not recall having ever claimed that my campaigning activities were motivated by a sense of altruism. They are certainly not motivated by any desire for personal financial gain. I do not subscribe to the view that all actions must be weighed in terms of measurable financial advantage.

If I believed that all those who used 084/7 numbers were knowing participants in a scam, then I probably would not bother campaigning on this issue. Why waste effort trying to get a leopard to change its spots?

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #52 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 12:30am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 12:11am:
If I were a member of an orgainisation and became convinced that is that was deliberately set on practicing deceipt in my name and to my fainancial advantage, then I would probably leave; especially if I were also convinced that its democratic processes had failed. I certainly would not seek to draw public attention to my reluctant, if modest, participation in a scam.

But the said institution still has the best deal of any bank or building society in the UK on overseas debit and credit card use so I fear that would be a clear cut case of cutting off my nose to spite my face were I to take the course of action you propose.

Quote:
Why waste effort trying to get a leopard to change its spots?

Surely we are in fact trying to expose the wolf that is so cunningly and deliberately dressed in sheep's clothing in the case of 084/7 numbers.

A leopard by contrast cannot help the fact that he is spotted as it is a genetic accident of birth and hence there is no point in trying to encourage the leopard to change his spots as it simply physically cannot be done.

One always has to be careful about mixing one's metaphors I find. Wink Tongue Grin

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #53 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 1:40am

At the risk of accepting the invitation to mix metafors, I will switch to the anlaogy that was offered and respond in those terms. It must be noted that I am refering here to a view that I do not share.

Once the wolf has been exposed it must surely be shot, not left to threaten other flocks.

My point was to question why one would bother to ask the wool-covered figures to abandon their wolverine behaviour, if believing it to be genetically determined.

I campaign against the activities of those who I believe may be persuaded to change their mind and their approach to use of non-geographic numbers. I obviously wish for all abuse of revenue sharing numbers to cease, as I wish for much else in the world to change for the better, however I deploy my energies where I believe that most could be achieved.

Not only do I not see wolves behind every case of use of revenue sharing, I also recognise the risk of "crying wolf" (now I am mixing metaphors) too often.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #54 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 9:06am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 1:40am:
Once the wolf has been exposed it must surely be shot, not left to threaten other flocks.

Few here would disagree with you however various Emperors New Clothes like parties who have been instrumental in their creation and their retention of course maintain that there is no wolf and that this is simply a new and more evolved form of sheep.  Or else they maintain that they have become attached to their wolves and do not wish to have them put down until they die naturally of old age.

Quote:
My point was to question why one would bother to ask the wool-covered figures to abandon their wolverine behaviour, if believing it to be genetically determined.

The behaviour of the wolf may be genetically determined but surely the behaviour of the wolf keepers is not. Undecided

Quote:
I campaign against the activities of those who I believe may be persuaded to change their mind and their approach to use of non-geographic numbers.

And surely a member run building society that shuns the normal ripoff charges on overseas debit and credit card use should be especially open to the argument that imposing a hidden charge on its members to telephone it is not justified.

You now maintain you would after all like to see the abolition of all revenue sharing numbers in the fullness of time but you are previously on record in this forum as saying that you see no problem with their use by the private sector.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2009 at 10:56am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #55 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 10:52am

I sense some agreement.

In time we could perhaps return to sorting out who are the wolves and who are the keepers of what is normally understood to be a wild animal.

I recall suggesting that the Nationwide Building Society is indeed likely to be responsive to appropriate representations from members.

Quote:
I obviously wish for all abuse of revenue sharing numbers to cease

This should not be misunderstood as being a desire for "the abolition of all revenue sharing numbers in the fullness of time". My position, if it has not been made clear previously, is that the service fee associated with their use should be openly declared. There are many cases where no service fee could properly be levied and it is in these situations where their use must be ceased. I regard a failure to declare and justify the service fee, or its inappropriate imposition as abuse. I do not preclude the possibility of its justification in certain cases.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #56 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 11:01am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 10:52am:
This should not be misunderstood as being a desire for "the abolition of all revenue sharing numbers in the fullness of time". My position, if it has not been made clear previously, is that the service fee associated with their use should be openly declared. There are many cases where no service fee could properly be levied and it is in these situations where their use must be ceased. I regard a failure to declare and justify the service fee, or its inappropriate imposition as abuse. I do not preclude the possibility of its justification in certain cases.

In my case they would have to be on a dedicated premium rate code (whereas Ofcom is permitting yet more wolves in sheeps clothing on 0871), there would have to be a pre-call price announcement, call queuing over 15 seconds would be banned and access to premium rate numbers would only be possible after PIN code entry and each member of the household who has access to premium rate numbers would have their own PIN code.  A PIN code would not be given to any household members who the line owner did not trust to act responsibly and/or repay him for the cost of making their premium rate calls.

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #57 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 12:28pm

Having sorted out the general positions of two contributors in public, perhaps I should make it clear that I would be happy to provide support and assistance to members engaged with the appropriate officers of the Nationwide in gaining a proper understanding of the position and in undertaking the necessary review of policy. Please email or PM me if there is anything that I can do to help.

IP Logged

jamesbond

Suffolk
Re: Nationwide Alternative
Reply #58 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 7:04pm

Hi there!

Talking of alternatives for Nationwide Building Society, the Ipswich branch has gone from a geographic number 01473 580900 to 0845 266 0654.  I think, that all other branches will have had their geographic number changed to a 0845 number by now.

James Bond

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Re: Nationwide Alternative
Reply #59 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 7:52pm

Hi, there is another thread
on Nationwide started I think in December to which I added in January.  To summarise, I have been locked in dispute with Nationwide over this issue.  I have emailed the CE (grahambeale@nationwide.co.uk) a number of times and been treated with total disregard and contempt, as well as like an idiot.    Basically they have made their decision, they still describe 0845 as local rate, they are not prepared to change/reconsider anything at all, they do not accept this will disadvantage their members and, after 2 replies, I received the usual fob off of this is what we do, if you don't like it go to the ombudsman.  Of course, that is a totally spurious suggestion as the ombudsman has no power or authority whatsoever over the way Nationwide choose to operate.   I did, in the other thread, urge any and all customers of Nationwide to make their views felt.  I believe a number of forum members are doing this.   I do feel Nationwide need to be reminded constantly that it is their customers' money which keeps them going and pays their wages and that they make much of being a member-led organisation answerable to members rather than shareholders.   I also feel that this change goes against the spirit of their adverts of not offering good deals only to new members - in this case, members had access to branches and this is now denied unless they are prepared to pay a premium.   This is particularly pertinent as, if you look at their website, a considerable number of their savings/investment products are ONLY available via branches.

* Threads have been merged. The thread Barbara refers to is this one.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2009 at 2:40pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge