Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Sneaky National Rail Enquiries (Read 179,926 times)
CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: Sneaky National Rail Enquiries
Reply #75 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 11:49am

NGMsGhost wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 11:47am:
Dave wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 11:42am:
Thanks to the FOI to East Coast, we now have an alternative for NRE: 020 7383 5564  Wink

Since the stupid TrainTracker service (that also usually never works due to constantly giving you stations other than the ones you are travelling between) they try to sell on an 0871 number can also be accessed via a choice from the 0845 National Rail Enquiries menu does this mean TrainTracker can also be accessed for the price of a geographic call?  Or does the geographic number resulting from the FOI request bypass the normal menus and go straight through to an adviser based in India?

I dialled : 020 3031 9338 and it gave the SAME options as 08457 48 49 50 - inc the option to use TrainTracker, avoiding calling the 0871 number for it.

Dave also posted a number provided from an FOI request to East Coast.

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #76 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 12:06pm

CJT-80 wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 11:47am:
I am going to be contacting Traveline next over their continued use of their 0871 number. Smiley

Traveline's continued use of an 0871 number is especially disgusting when one of their main target audiences is financially impoverished bus customers and they are mainly likely to be called from mobiles or BT Payphones. Angry Angry Angry

BT Payphones charge £1 per minute to call an 0871 number and the price of  Traveline's 0871 number from most mobile phones is not far short of this.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2010 at 12:07pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #77 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 12:08pm

Dave wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 11:42am:
Thanks to the FOI to East Coast, we now have an alternative for NRE: 020 7383 5564  Wink

Since the stupid TrainTracker service (that also usually never works due to constantly giving you stations other than the ones you are travelling between) they try to sell on an 0871 number can also be accessed via a choice from the 0845 National Rail Enquiries menu does this mean TrainTracker can also be accessed for the price of a geographic call? …

For a while now (a year or two), there has been a working geographic number for TrainTracker listed on this site. Currently, 020 1104 8060 answers the same as the 0871 number.

Each TrainTracker station has its own alternative. For example, 020 1104 0151 is the TrainTracker service for Wolverhampton.

Why do you use it anyway? The National Rail WAP site works just as well. Other similar services are available. Orange's own Orange World service allows favourite journeys and stations to be stored.

… Or does the geographic number resulting from the FOI request bypass the normal menus and go straight through to an adviser based in India?

We have both! Although those that we publish that go through to the call centre seem to have long queues on after a while. Changing the last digit seems to work.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2010 at 12:10pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #78 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 12:08pm

CJT-80 wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 11:49am:
I dialled : 020 3031 9338 and it gave the SAME options as 08457 48 49 50 - inc the option to use TrainTracker, avoiding calling the 0871 number for it. Smiley

I now find that 020 1104 8060 is already listed as a verified alternative for TrainTracker in our database.

<div style=

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #79 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 10:31pm

and here is my VERY interesting response from National Rail Enquiries:

"Thank you for your email about the telephone number used for contacting National Rail Enquiries.

National Rail Enquiries has offered the same number, 08457 48 49 50 to passengers since the service began in 1996. There is high awareness of the number amongst the public and so it would not make sense to change it as it would create problems for regular users of the service.

0845 numbers are now included in some telecoms providers’ packages. However these do change from time to time. If you are unhappy about the costs incurred when calling 0845 numbers under your current service provider agreement, this is an issue that you would have to take up with them directly.

We do not offer multiple numbers because of issues around the queue handling system National Rail Enquiries uses to minimise the call waiting time and to optimise the capacity of our contact centres to service customer needs.

I would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Customers play a vital role in enabling us to improve the service we offer and feedback is very much appreciated.

I hope we can serve you well in future.

Thank you for contacting National Rail Enquiries. If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Regards"

I would be interested on any comments on this.

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #80 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 11:33pm

CJT-80 wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 10:31pm:
and here is my VERY interesting response from National Rail Enquiries:

"Thank you for your email about the telephone number used for contacting National Rail Enquiries.

National Rail Enquiries has offered the same number, 08457 48 49 50 to passengers since the service began in 1996. There is high awareness of the number amongst the public and so it would not make sense to change it as it would create problems for regular users of the service.

0845 numbers are now included in some telecoms providers’ packages. However these do change from time to time. If you are unhappy about the costs incurred when calling 0845 numbers under your current service provider agreement, this is an issue that you would have to take up with them directly. …

It's the same old crap, ducking the issue of the fact that NRE's 0845 number takes a subsidy from callers and passing the buck about call charges to originating telcos...  Roll Eyes

Clearly, we are dealing with a body that has no morals and will not simply come out and say that they need to charge a premium through use of a 0845 number!  Angry

The fact that the number has existed since 1996 is clearly of much greater importance than the fact that it imposes a premium charge on callers, or for that matter, NRE talking about the fact that it uses a premium number.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #81 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 1:48am

CJT-80 wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 10:31pm:

What stops them running a parallel 03456 number alongside it for anyone calling from a mobile phone (i.e. the majority of their callers given the application for which the number is used).  Answer absolutely nothing other than their service provider charging them more to run the call centre if calls are not an 084 number.

Quote:
If you are unhappy about the costs incurred when calling 0845 numbers under your current service provider agreement, this is an issue that you would have to take up with them directly.

Stock response long used by all hardened 084/7 scammers who have no intention whatsoever of mending their ways.  They totally avoid the fact that it is their wish to run their call centre at a lower cost cross subsidised by their callers that is responsible for all mobile companies excluding them from their call packages because they are more costly (in the real world rather than BT landline's cross subsidised one) to connect calls to.

Quote:
We do not offer multiple numbers because of issues around the queue handling system National Rail Enquiries uses to minimise the call waiting time and to optimise the capacity of our contact centres to service customer needs.

Completely dishonest lies that are totally untrue and that prove what an unrepentant bunch of scammers they quite clearly are.

Quote:
I would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Customers play a vital role in enabling us to improve the service we offer and feedback is very much appreciated.

Translation - "please go away as we enjoy a near monopoly in this business and can do exactly what we like regardless of what our customers tell us and have no intention of taking any notice of them" Shocked Angry Angry Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #82 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 3:18pm

Here is my reply to NRE's Customer Relations Dept, sent today:

"Thank you for your reply, I feel that it’s necessary to give you some feedback about the information and advice you have provided, and also request the details of how to take this matter further.

National Rail Enquires (NRE) only had the 08457 number since around April 2000, before this including in 1996 when you advise the service started it was 0345 48 49 50, ( here is a link from a South West Trains leaflet advertising the number - http://www.crowsnest.co.uk/north/swt_1.htm).  Ofcom currently has a range of 03 Numbers specifically available to organisations who have 08457 numbers such as NRE, which allows them to migrate/move their existing number over, therefore NRE’s number would be: 03457 48 49 50, a change of 1 digit, 8 to 3.

As NRE introduced the 0871 number along with Train Text it proves it IS possible for NRE to introduce new numbers when it suits them, and NOT it’s users. I also noted that NRE has an overseas 020 number which it blocked from being dialled in the UK, so it IS possible to have more than one number as you already display 2!

On a final note, regarding being “unhappy” with the charges my service provider makes for calling this number, it is NOT an option to discuss it with them, they are a business who provide means of communication, NRE is a National Information service and therefore it is up to NRE to change its number NOT the service provider to include these calls.

I request that these comments are passed to Chris Scoggins who is your Chief Exec. Alternatively please provide me with HIS e-mail address, and I will e-mail him personally."

Lets see what reply I get back,

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #83 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 3:18pm

This is the reply I got from the Customer Relations Manager :

" I write following your communication with the National Rail Enquiries Customer Relations team about the National Rail Enquiries telephone number, 08457 48 49 50.

National Rail Enquiries  uses a single number to help control the load/call volumes in our call centres and to ensure customers receive an answer to their call in the fastest possible time. Creating multiple numbers reduces our ability to do that and would result in a poorer service for customers. The current number is well known and well established and is included in a large number of promotions, including those managed  by the train companies and other 3rd party organisations. A new number for NRE would require huge investment in  promoting it to achieve the current level of recognition with little or no added value for customers.

In response to your query about 0871; this  number which was created for Train Tracker is a separate service from the call centres.

Thank you for contacting National Rail Enquiries and I  trust that I have addressed the issues that you raised. "

However as part of her response she CC'd another person who works for: http://www.intelenetglobal.com/index.html and on this page: http://intelenetglobal.com/case_study_travel.html# under the 2nd Travel tab, they appear to mention NRE as one of their clients!

Still not happy with the reponse.. what to do now?

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #84 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 3:32pm

CJT-80 wrote on Sep 28th, 2010 at 3:18pm:
National Rail Enquiries  uses a single number to help control the load/call volumes in our call centres and to ensure customers receive an answer to their call in the fastest possible time. Creating multiple numbers reduces our ability to do that and would result in a poorer service for customers. …

So what they're saying is that their telecoms provider is unable to run two numbers in parallel, where calls are dealt with irrespective of which number was dialled?  Huh

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #85 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 5:18pm

Dave wrote on Sep 28th, 2010 at 3:32pm:
CJT-80 wrote on Sep 28th, 2010 at 3:18pm:
National Rail Enquiries  uses a single number to help control the load/call volumes in our call centres and to ensure customers receive an answer to their call in the fastest possible time. Creating multiple numbers reduces our ability to do that and would result in a poorer service for customers. …

So what they're saying is that their telecoms provider is unable to run two numbers in parallel, where calls are dealt with irrespective of which number was dialled?  Huh

I don't think so, I suspect that there is either deliberate or inadvertent confusion about the point at issue.

The first point to establish is whether one is asking for a complete number change to the 03 equivalent, as was probably implied, or for the less desirable, but much cheaper option of having the two run in parallel, with limited publicity of the 03 version. I am now strongly commending the latter as being suitable for the current economic climate, although not a satisfactory long term solution.

Any possible confusion about requests for separate geographic regional numbers needs to be put out of the picture (unless that is what is wanted).

A strong case can be made for the 034/084 double running option, given that one does not demand that too much money be spent on publicising the 03 number. It is far from perfect, but if we can get a number of bodies to do it then the snowball effect could work wonders as callers start demanding the 0345 alternative from everyone. (We must also remember that the future of revenue sharing on 0845 is not certain.)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
National Rail Enquiries disables our alternative!
Reply #86 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 9:37pm

The alternative number for National Rail Enquiries we published last month, 020 7383 5564, is now not recognised.

It was given out in a FOI response from East Coast, and was answered with the same menu for NRE as the published covert-premium number, 0845 748 4950.

As if travelling by rail is not expensive enough, we have rip-off phone numbers for getting information on timetables and the prospect of more fare rises of 30 to 40 per cent within the next four to five years!
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2010 at 9:42pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #87 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 9:50pm

The number via LORL has also been disabled.

Looks like we need to work on a way to push this one further!

Angry Sad Angry

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #88 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 9:57pm

The Enquirer, Spring 2010 Edition (NRE's newsletter) has published the direct phone numbers and e-mail addresses of its management.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #89 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 10:00pm

Or feel free to e-mail

Shiona Naylor - Customer Relations Manager - National Rail Enquiries : shiona.naylor@atoc.org

or call her: +44 (0)20 7841 8029

I am sure she'd love to hear from us.

Angry

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge