Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26
Send Topic Print
OFCOM - FUTURE OF 0870 NUMBERS - CONSULTATION (Read 368,117 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: OFCOM - FUTURE OF 0870 NUMBERS - CONSULTATION
Reply #45 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 2:50pm

I can see where Ofcom is coming from by allowing 0845 numbers to stay as they are. However, I have no sympathy because it should have made a separate numbering range for pay as you go dial-up internet services and the like. These could be charged at the same rates as the current 0845. That way they could move voice services to standard geographical rates. I presume that this is what they have done on 0844 where each block is labelled as being internet or non-internet.

The key sticking point that I can see with 0845 is that most companies on this prefix chose it because it offered a way of being contacted at local rates. Some have had their numbers (previously 0345) for years. Why should they suffer?

Moving on to 0870, why should these companies who selected 0870 over 0845 end up better off than the 0845ers? Forget the excuses "Well everyone else does it," they set out to disadvantage callers local to them by having a 'national rate' number. They should have thought of this before jumping on the bandwagon.

As for the suggestions that providers will have a pricing announcement to allow them to continue charging above geographical rates, I don't think that this will happen for the majority of providers. I think that if BT align 0870 rates to that of 01/02, others will follow suit.

To have to have announcements when priced above geographical rates will make providers think twice because of the negative impact this will have on their service.

That said, Ofcom must bear in mind that if a significant number of providers don't charge geographical rates for these numbers, then consumers will be confused once again.

The numbers could be described as 'national rate' again, but with a message like "Unless informed otherwise by your provider".

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 3:07pm

Quote:
Moving on to 0870, why should these companies who selected 0870 over 0845 end up better off than the 0845ers? Forget the excuses "Well everyone else does it," they set out to disadvantage callers local to them by having a 'national rate' number. They should have thought of this before jumping on the bandwagon.

Ofcom's whole position is utterly insane as forcing a voice call centre on 0845 to move to 0870 so as to only charge customers geographic rates will involve them in a lot of marketing, cost and potential lost callers.

Whereas 0845 dial up customers are in an ongoing daily/weekly relationship with the customer and can easily send a customer an email and/or a web link to let him change the phone number just once.  If the customer can't connect he will soon contact the company (on their 0870 or 09 number so costing them little) to resolve matters.  But the 0845 voice operator finds its old yellow pages ads and publicity leaflets etc totally worthless if they switch to 0870.  More likely they would have to set up an 0870 too and then keep the 0845 for all those reading the old ads.

But the unfairness to the voice operators of charging more for their 0845 calls compared to 0870 compared to the minor inconvenience to the rapidly dieing 0845 dial ISP marketplace of switching each remaining customer once to another number should have meant that the dial up ISP people had to change their numbers and that 0845 voice numbers were charged as geographic on the same new rate as 0870.

But where have some of the most senior staff of Ofcom come from?  Well Stephen Carter comes from NTL and Matt Peacock comes from AOL.  So what a surprise that they have favoured the dialup ISP business interests of those companies at the expense of thousands of charities and local government call centres who originally picked 0845 to try to offer callers the lowest possible call rate.

I tried to tell Ofcom their proposal from the NTS Focus Groups was utterly insane and to call it off but no they went ahead saying how great their proposals on 0870 were and totally hiding the disgrace on 0845 and also the fact that none of this may happen for 18 months or more.

Ofcom are a total disgrace and are not fulfilling the remit given to them by parliament but none of us seem to have the power to do anything about it.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #47 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 3:46pm

Quote:
... also the fact that none of this may happen for 18 months or more.

Yes, more time that this current 'market' is allowed to continue as-is.

From "Way forward" consultation:
Quote:
Option B4: Restore geographic linkage for 0845 and 0870 after an interim period

6.36 The idea behind this option is that Ofcom should take steps to re-establish the linkage between 0845/0870 calls and standard geographic call charges rather than completely dismantle the linkage as proposed in Option B2. Under this option, the linkage would apply to all OCPs including payphones and mobiles and not just BT as is the case with the current linkage between 0845/0870 and geographic call charges. All OCPs would be required to charge 0845 calls at their local geographic call rates and 0870 calls at their national geographic call rates (including all applicable discounts) or make a call pre-announcement specifying the call charge. Those providers that have a single geographic rate for local and national calls would charge 0845/0870 calls at their geographic rate.

So 0845 will be local rate, and 0870 will be national rate (for those few provider(s) that still distinguish). In this case, companies on 0845 up and move to 0870 to avoid being at a disadvantage to existing 0870ers.

Of course, for the majority of subscribers local and national will be the same. However, if companies now describe the numbers as being 'local' or 'national', it will appear to many consumers as if the local ones are cheaper than the national ones (when infact they're not).

This will be an issue at the end of the 'interim period' when 0845 will be charged at local rate rather than 0870's national. This will leave those that moved from 0845 to 0870 at the disadvantage they didn't want to be at, ie charging the 'national rate' rather than their previous 'local rate'.

Add to that, if they do migrate, who's going to still be on 0845 when they do become 'local rate'? The current voice SPs won't like it in the 'interim period' and the ISPs won't be able to survive when it is made 'local rate'. So when it's made local, expect all the current 0845 services to have moved elsewhere!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 4:08pm

Dave,

As I understand the Ofcom press release their proposal is that 0870 call rates are synchronised woth geographic national call rates much earlier than 0845 are synchronised with geographic local call rates.  0845 will remain on the old BT Standard call tariffs for at least a year longer than 0870.

But admittedly I haven't read the consultation yet!  How did they end up with over 100 pages more than their original consulation though?  Surely they should have been able to move closer to actuall conclusions as a result of the responses received?

Can I assume that again Ofcom is listing various possible solutions but is expressing its own preference for just one of those solutions and that is the one they are publicising in their press release as though it was definitely going to happen even though it is only a consultation?

I would assume there is no way that 1899, 18866 etc will be able to offer 0845 and 0870 at the same rate as GNs from what is in the proposals?  They will just have a call price announcement instead saying they cost more as is already the case?
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2005 at 4:09pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #49 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 4:36pm

Quote:
As I understand the Ofcom press release their proposal is that 0870 call rates are synchronised woth geographic national call rates much earlier than 0845 are synchronised with geographic local call rates.  0845 will remain on the old BT Standard call tariffs for at least a year longer than 0870.

I've not read the whole document yet, just read upto the above Option B4 which appears to be what Ofcom's press released proposal is. The thing is, that some of the options are mutually exclusive because of the way that the 'Impact Assessment' (IA) has been done. Each policy issue, ie revenue sharing, consumer protection etc, has several options. Read section 6 and you will understand what I mean.

Quote:
How did they end up with over 100 pages more than their original consulation though?  Surely they should have been able to move closer to actuall conclusions as a result of the responses received?

In a nutshell, yes, they should be 'homing in' on a solution. The mind boggles at the various connotations of the options presented.

Quote:
Can I assume that again Ofcom is listing various possible solutions but is expressing its own preference for just one of those solutions and that is the one they are publicising in their press release as though it was definitely going to happen even though it is only a consultation?

I wouldn't like to say on that yet as I haven't read it cover to cover.

However, Option B4 is to restore the geographical linkage to 0845/0870 (so they admit it's broken, which is a step forward from the previous document!!!). In the IA, they then decide to assess the impact on 0845 and 0870 services separately, something which isn't done for other options, apart from B5 which is a variation on B4.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 4:50pm

The key thing though is that their consultation is once again written only in industryspeak and made so lengthy that only telecoms industry hired hands plus a few diehards on this forum will be motivated to respond.

It is a complete outrage they don't have a web form for response and can't summarise the key issues for the public to respond on in no more than 5 or 10 pages.  But then Ofcom is only there to make life easy for its telecoms industry chums whatever it may claim.

It is ridiculous that we should be having to wade through another 250 pages.

Ofcom are a disgrace.  They should be closed down.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2005 at 4:50pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #51 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 6:28pm

Quote:
The key thing though is that their consultation is once again written only in industryspeak and made so lengthy that only telecoms industry hired hands plus a few diehards on this forum will be motivated to respond.

There is a 'Plain English' version here. It doesn't appear to be available in PDF and I use Firefox where the text is smaller than in Internet Explorer. I've only just noticed that this isn't the way it's supposed to be and is another site that display properly in no Microsoft browsers. I can make it the same size as in IE by clicking Accessibility in the top right corner and setting text size to larger.

I think that we need to encourage people to read the PE version and point out some of the basic issues, so as to assist them to put their views in their own words.

Quote:
Ofcom are a disgrace.  They should be closed down.

NGM, your blood pressure! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #52 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 7:23pm

Hang on guys,

I think some of you seem to be in danger of being taken in by the bamboozle! As I have suggested previously the reason that, as you correctly conclude should have been the case, Ofcom seem not to have arrived at or any nearer to any supposed "conclusions" as a direct result of their last two "consultations", and should have thus now have been able to summarise any remaining issues succinctly is that this large document is a smoke screen! It is a deliberate red herring.

This overkill, verbose document has been deliberately produced to muddy the waters and avoid taking the regulatory action which they know full well they should take now under the Acts, which they are so fond of quoting. They know that if they confuse the general public with a document like this, which goes round and round in circles, avoiding the real issues and regurgitating all the previous nonsense which they have published concerning NGN abuses, but with all the elements moved around and well mixed up, few consumers will respond to yet another seemingly complex consultation. Then Ofcom will eventually be able to claim with some impunity - "Well we had a really comprehensive final "consultation" about this and hardly any consumers responded, so they must be happy with what we are going to do. They can then apply exactly what they had planned in the first place, namely do a bit of juggling with numbers to make it appear as if there have been some regulatory changes, but in reality keep all of the scams going as at present, where necessary with slightly different 08 sub-categories and perhaps a few cost announcements as a sop!

Also of course, to state as they do in their "consultation" document that "0871 numbers could be re-classified as Premium Rate numbers" fully exposes that this is all bamboozle. I must emphasize yet once again that it was the regulator who originally took the decision to move all Premium numbers to the 09 prefix category. This was what was defined in the New National Numbering Plan, and was done so that consumers could know clearly which numbers are Premium numbers by the 09 prefix, and to ensure that queueing was prohibited on all Premium numbers. You can see by this statement in their "consultation" document that what Ofcom are doing all of the time is to avoid the real issues, since their controllers do not want the scams to end, most of all with queuing!
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2005 at 1:50am by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 7:34pm

Quote:
This overkill, verbose document has been deliberately produced to muddy the waters and avoid taking the regulatory action which they know full well they should take now under the Acts, which they are so fond of quoting. They know that if they confuse the general public with a document like this, which goes round and round in circles, avoiding the real issues and regurgitating all the previous nonsense which they have published concerning NGN abuses, but with all the elements moved around and well mixed up, few consumers will respond to yet another seemingly complex consultation. Then Ofcom will eventually be able to claim with some impunity - "Well we had a really comprehensive final "consultation" about this and hardly any consumers responded, so they must be happy with what we are going to do.

Yes Dorf that is precisely what I fear the cynical and clearly non consumer focused boys and girls at Ofcom are up to.

A pretence of doing something whilst still allowing their former chums in the telecoms companies to carry on with  most of their scamming unimpeded.

I must say that I thought their Communications Director Mr Matt Peacock sounded rather rattled when he was on You & Yours the other day.  But perhaps he couldn't think of any obvious answers to that other chappie they interviewed asking why Ofcom had now embarked on another consultation after already stringing us along for the last two years.

The thing that was most outrageous about the Ofcom Press Release was their claim that they would definitely be taking action to bring the 0870 scam to an end and making it sound like it was happening right now.

I wonder how many people are now calling 0870 numbers thinking that they have been returned to being ordinary priced uk calls? Shocked

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #54 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 8:50pm

Quote:
I think some of you seem to be in danger of being taken in by the bamboozle! As I have suggested previously the reason that, as you correctly conclude should have been the case, Ofcom seem not to have arrived at or any nearer to any supposed "conclusions" as a direct result of their last two "consultations", and should have thus now have been able to summarise any remaining issues succinctly is that this large document is a smoke screen! It is a deliberate red herring.

I agree dorf. This issue affects consumers greatly, and because consumers don't (and shouldn't have to) understand the ins and outs of how the 'internal framework' operates, the two should be kept separate as far as consulting goes.

Reading consumers' responses from the previous consultation (Options for the Future) shows what the 'citizen-consumer' thinks. Ofcom has started again from square one, consulting both consumers and industry alike.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #55 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 4:34pm

Well I've just got round to starting to read the consultation and on page 14 of the .pdf it reads:-
Quote:
CP obligations to publish NTS tariff information: a separate consultation on the proposed amendment to General Condition 14, which Ofcom is publishing on the 28 September
They are talking about yet another consultation but I couldn't find it on their website and according to the date it should have been released already.  Does anyone know where it is?
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2005 at 4:35pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

lavillegour

We'll All Be Dead in 100
Years !

Reply #56 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 6:10pm

I've just heard what I believe to be evidence of a change of heart by Auntie BBC.

You & Yours daily at 12 noon . The presenter asked for listeners to  call then mentioned 0870 but immediately (with a sound surprise in his voice ) mentioned that the number to call was 0800*****.

Hurrah. Long Live The Queen ! (and all who sail in her)

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 6:25pm

Quote:
You & Yours daily at 12 noon . The presenter asked for listeners to  call then mentioned 0870 but immediately (with a sound surprise in his voice ) mentioned that the number to call was 0800*****.

I copied in the presenters and producers of You & Yours on my email to the BBC Watchdog presesnters congratulating them on their 020 8 number but asking why they hadn't done it earlier or explained the reason for the change.

Since You & Yours is also a consumer program and as You & Yours have been active critics of 0870 (unlike the useless SnoozeDog) I expect they have been able to use this as ammunition with the BBC management and also asked to go what they rightly or wrongly perceive as being one better than Watchdog (right in that for me the call will be free instead of costing 3p but wrong in that 0800 will still cost mobile phone callers loads of extra money) by having an 0800 or 0500 number.

But yes it seems we are slowly getting there with the old drip, drip on the stone approach.  The fact that the late night phone in program on BBC 5 Live has always had an 0500 number was pretty indefensible.  What exactly was special about that program compared to all the other Beeb phone lines using 0870.

For someone with only 15 posts LaVilleGour you certainly have made every single one count.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2005 at 6:27pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #58 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 5:09am

Quote:
The fact that the late night phone in program on BBC 5 Live has always had an 0500 number was pretty indefensible. ...

You know that somtimes they ask callers to cal the 0870 and press some option on the afternoon show (mayo blokie?), even though the 0500 works alongside it

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #59 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:37pm

From Hansard:

10 Oct 2005 : Column 38W

<<
Telephone Numbers
Malcolm Bruce: To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry (1) what assessment has been made of the likely impact Ofcom's proposed changes to (a) the 0870 number range and (b) 0845 numbers could have on those industries which rely on these number ranges to fund or subsidise the cost of providing other services to consumers; [15007]

(2) what assessment has been made of the likely impact Ofcom's proposal to remove revenue sharing of the 0870 number range will have on the Number Translation Service industry; [15008]

(3) what assessment has been made of the likely impact Ofcom's proposal to maintain the current price per minute rates for 0845 numbers for a two year period will have on internet service providers' ability to take advantage of British Telecom's next generation network roll-out; [15009]

(4) if he will bring forward measures to (a) help consumers understand the pricing of calls to Number Translation Services and (b) ensure providers who charge more than the standard fixed line rate make a pre-announcement to consumers using their services. [15010]

Alun Michael: The matter raised is the responsibility of the Office of Communications (Ofcom). Ofcom is the independent regulator for the communications sector, deriving its main powers and duties directly from statute rather than by delegation from my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State, and accountable to Parliament in its own right. Accordingly, my officials have asked the chief executive officer of Ofcom to reply to the hon. Member and to send me a copy of his response. Copies of the chief executive's letter will also be placed in the Libraries of both Houses.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge