Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26
Send Topic Print
OFCOM - FUTURE OF 0870 NUMBERS - CONSULTATION (Read 368,110 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: OFCOM - FUTURE OF 0870 NUMBERS - CONSULTATION
Reply #60 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:59pm

Quote:
Ofcom is the independent regulator for the communications sector, deriving its main powers and duties directly from statute rather than by delegation from my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State, and accountable to Parliament in its own right. Accordingly, my officials have asked the chief executive officer of Ofcom to reply to the hon. Member and to send me a copy of his response. Copies of the chief executive's letter will also be placed in the Libraries of both Houses

What a farce to claim Ofcom is accountable to Parliament when the reality is that it is accountable only to a combination of a few vested interests in the telecoms industry (the former working colleagues of current Ofcom senior personnel) and to a few government ministers who then turn round and deny that they are responsible for influencing Ofcom's actions.

If Ofcom is accountable to parliament can Mr Stephen Carter, Mr Kip Meek and Mr Ed Richards from the Ofcom Board be subjected to an all day grilling of the full house of commons please.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2005 at 12:00am by N/A »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #61 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 9:16am

What continues to incense me is that in all these claims that "those who currently rely on the revenue from these scams to provide these wonderful services which they deliver...."  the scammers and their supporters always markedly avoid consideration of the viable option that any entity which really wishes to provide a value-added service, rather than a standard telephone call with extortion, has always got -  the option of 09 numbers. As we all know in almost all cases the 08 rip-offs are with "services" which are not services at all. They are just normal telephone calls, but with the additional extortion of queuing on line to significantly increase the revenue collected.

We really do have to begin to discriminate clearly between those telephone calls which are normal telephone calls and those which truly deliver a real value-added service. Then we can clearly and equitably see that no entity should be allowed to extort revenue from normal telephone calls. On the other hand any entity which wishes to provide a true value added service which they expect the customer to pay for, in addition to the cost of a normal telephone call, should be using 09. Ofcom have allowed NTS to cloud this rational thinking, which was of course present originally in the new UK telephone numbering structure.

Once you rationalize that you can see the unavoidable reality that what all of this confusion and skulduggery is about is to deceive consumers, so that call queuing can be allowed. As I have to repeat over and over this is the real reason that all of the organisations benefiting from this racket do not want the gravy train to end, and why Ofcom will not do the right thing. Where organisations use 09 they cannot have call queuing, and that is why in most cases they can make much more revenue with all the 08 scams!
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2005 at 9:25am by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 9:39am

I think an examination of the Register of Members Interests for Mr Malcolm Bruce MP would make for some very interesting reading indeed, but one has to go along to Parliament to look at it as they do not make it available on the web. Roll Eyes

I notice that Mr Malcolm Bruce is not a signatory to this parliamentary motion which now has 31 MPs on board from some recent additional signatories, including Mr Andrew Rosindell of Romford, a well known working class Conservative champion of ordinary people.

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=28872%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&...

I am very interested in Mr Malcolm Bruce MP's questions over the last few months.  If he has a business interest in this area a complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman could well be in order.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2005 at 10:47am by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 9:53am

It seems there is an online register of Members Interests after all but only 20 people seem to be listed and the Commons web link is broken.

http://www.parliament.uk/about_commons/register_of_members__interests.cfm

I have telephoned them to ask why.

I feel sure Mr Bruce's entry will make for some very interesting reading.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #64 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 10:39am

This thread is very interesting and I'm learning more and more about the issues involved.

I would like to follow up, however, earlier parts of this thread on organising and assisting a more widespread response to this latest consultation:

Quote:
I think a pop up box telling people how to respond to the consultation when people come to the site to get a geographic number would get a lot of responses sent. Especially if there was a form and a Send button to just send off your complaint to the Ofcom email address.

If it just listed bullet points and perhaps referred to a thread in the Discussion Forum for those more interested that would probably work.

Quote:
There have been over 1,000 views of this thread up until today. If just half of those people sent an opinion to Ofcom it might have some impact. But they won't as things stand. Why? Because it's too much hassle.

That's where this site comes in. The organisers and contributors have the expertise to make it easy for casual passersby to submit an opinion to Ofcom, without the need to go to all the trouble of reading the consultation documents. People looking at this site already know the issues - they don't need to read hundreds of pages of formal documents to have it explained to them.

So could I suggest that some kind and knowledgeable person sets up a new thread entitled "This is how you send your views on 0870 numbers to Ofcom" (or something along those lines).

The top message would provide two things:

(1) the email address to which a submission can be sent (It has to be email or nine out of ten won't bother)

(2) two (or at most three) of the main points to be made in a submission to Ofcom.

The message should be a maximum of 200 words, if that. Make it as easy as possible for the people who can contribute five minutes but no more.

Finally, remind people to be brief, clear and polite. Abusive, confused messages won't strengthen the case.

I found your link to the plain english version of the consultation extremely useful and a good place to start to those coming new to this consultation:

Quote:

Like many others no doubt, I'm keen to put my penny's worth into this consultation, for what its worth, so please, please can we have your help in setting up a new thread to assist us with this.  In addition, pop-ups for more casual users of this site , links with MoneySavingExpert and maybe PledgeBank.Com, and even suggestions to viral email friends and relatives could only help to gather the momentum for a considerable response to this consultation opportunity.

I think there's something like 6-8 weeks before the deadline to this consultation to gather support and with the distraction of christmas approaching we need to start a campaign to respond asap.

Regards
Garry

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 12:00pm

Here is the entry from the Register of Members Interests for Malcolm Bruce, MP.  Me thinks Mr Bruce may be being somewhat economical with some other interest he appears to have in the telecommunications industry:-

BRUCE, Malcolm (Gordon)
5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK)
  1 and 7 March 2004, upgrade from World Traveller Plus to Business Class by British Airways on both outward and return flights to India. (Registered 13 May 2004)
6. Overseas visits
  6-8 February 2004, to Podgorica, Montenegro, arranged and funded by the East West Parliamentary Practice Project (EWPPP) to discuss parliamentary democracy with Montenegrin politicians. Travel and accommodation provided by EWPPP. (Registered 13 May 2004)
  1-7 March 2004, to New Delhi, Hyderabad and Mumbai, India, to meet with government ministers, officials, organisations and businesses to discuss trade and investment issues. Visit arranged by Liberal Democrat Friends of India and funded by the Indian High Commission. (Registered 13 May 2004)
  10-12 December 2004, to Pristina, Kosovo, arranged and funded by the East West Parliamentary Practice Project (EWPPP) to discuss parliamentary democracy with Kosovan politicians. Travel and accommodation provided by EWPPP. (Registered 18 January 2005)
  12-16 December 2004, to Moscow, arranged and funded by the Russia Foundation. Travel and accommodation provided by the Russia Foundation. (Registered 18 January 2005)
  16-18 February 2005, to Washington DC and New York, to attend a Senate hearing and a seminar at New York University School of Law on the Yukos Case, Russia and US national interests. Business travel, transfer from Washington to New York and hotel accommodation in each city were paid for jointly by the New York University School of Law and the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies. (Registered 2 March 2005)

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #66 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:21pm

I believe that one of the common arguments that Ofcom uses is that significant changes to the 0845 range would have a serious effect on the pay as you go ISP model. This need not be the case. If the 0870 proposal is adopted as is, without modification, then there is no reason why 0845 could follow the same route. The 0845 ISP numbers could simply be classified, on an individual basis, as a separate range, for the sake of argument, to be charged at Z0 rate. Ofcom seems concerned about number blocks however there is a precedent to my suggestion. BT already exclude geographic ISP numbers from Options 1, 2 and 3 in terms of the one hour for 5.5p charge. It maintains a list of all known ISPs operating on 01 or 02 numbers. Indeed this list used to be published on the BT web site until the numbers were targeted by those with an interest in gaining unauthorized access to computer systems. At present, BT allows a check of whether the geographic number is an ISP at url http://www.bt.com/Choices/isp_excl.jsp - for example enter 02079061000 to see that this number is excluded (to be honest, this exclusion is disgraceful and should be challenged, but that is another matter). If BT can adapt billing to accommodate some 01 and 02 numbers, then exactly the same mechanism could be applied to 0845. Any views or counter arguments are welcome.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #67 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:34pm

Quote:
... The 0845 ISP numbers could simply be classified, on an individual basis, as a separate range, for the sake of argument, to be charged at Z0 rate. Ofcom seems concerned about number blocks however there is a precedent to my suggestion. BT already exclude geographic ISP numbers from Options 1, 2 and 3 in terms of the one hour for 5.5p charge. It maintains a list of all known ISPs operating on 01 or 02 numbers. ...

According to the consultation documents put out by Ofcom, prefixes are broken down into 10,000 blocks, eg 0871 123xxxx which are used for charging purposes. In the previous "Options for the future" there was talk about how much it would cost for systems to be upgraded to charge on a more granular basis. Each individual  originating provider (ie, BT, TalkTalk, Orange etc) will have to make changes in their metering system if they are all to charge like this.

How BT pick out individual numbers (as in the case of BT's exclusion list for 01/02 numbered ISPs) I don't know.

I quite agree that this would be a compromise we could live with, especially as internet dial-up numbers are never actually dialled by a human. That way they could appear on phone bills as "Dial-up Internet Service".

Of course, of dial-up internet had been given its own separate prefix, then this wouldn't have been an issue. Instead, they preferred to sell such services as being at "local rate".
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:35pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #68 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:39pm

Quote:
How BT pick out individual numbers (as in the case of BT's exclusion list for 01/02 numbered ISPs) I don't know.
I remember seeing the list a couple of years ago - it was large! Densely-packed small text on several pages of html if I remember correctly. I wish that I had kept a copy. I suspect BT analyzed customers' bills and looked for repeated calls of lengthy periods from multiple users. It could then reasonably assume that the number belongs to an ISP and a quick call would check for the tell-tale tones.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #69 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:45pm

Another suggestion to be considered is that much is made (usually by NTS providers and the target organization) of the usefulness of what NTS provides to them. Accepting that position for a moment, then shift 0844, 0845, 0870 and 0871 to 01844, 01845, 01870 and 01871 respectively and allocate seven-digit numbers. Open up unused 01XXX codes for NTS ranges once these are exhausted. This will allow the numbers to be treated as geographic by callers from anywhere in the world, and the target organization will have to fund the cost of the NTS aspect (as happens here and I suggest in most places outside the UK). Sadly those areas with geographic codes above will have to have a new allocation but this is a small sacrifice for the eradication of a corrupt system. The above isn't perfect but just a thought and an option. There may well be better ways of dealing with this. Any genuine number that needs to derive an income must shift to 09 - the number range allocated for this very purpose in the first place.

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #70 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 6:08pm

[quote author=idb  link=1127944230/60#69 date=1129221946]...shift 0844, 0845, 0870 and 0871 to 01844, 01845, 01870 and 01871 respectively [/quote]

I like that idea, 'though you just cann't do that to the residents of Thirsk, Thame and the Outer Hebrides.   It would at the very least need a transition period to free up these numbers, extending the whole sorry saga .

But all is not lost.   Aren't 0[b]2[/b]844,  [b]02[/b]845,  0[b]2[/b]870 & 0[b]2[/b]871 available ?
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:23pm by joe65 »  

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #71 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 8:38pm

That is the principal issue idb, as you say all uses of NGNs where revenue is required must be moved back to 09 where they belong. I do not believe it is difficult at all to plan a proper use of the 08 category. ISPs could easily be allocated a relatively low rate 09 category. It is all about wanting to plan a proper structure which conforms to the National Numbering Plan. However I don't agree with your idea re 018.... That would just confuse things even more. Any number commencing 01 must stay geographic.

Also there is no acceptable reason that NGNs cannot be made accessible from abroad. Other countries manage it, for example this is why scammers have been using Premium numbers abroad for Trojan diallers to fleece some UK internet users. The real reason is that Ofcom do not want to do any of these things and they fight it all the way.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 9:17pm

Quote:
If BT can adapt billing to accommodate some 01 and 02 numbers, then exactly the same mechanism could be applied to 0845. Any views or counter arguments are welcome.

There is surely a contradiction in the Ofcom consultation in that they believe some 0870s in the same number block as other 0870s can be allowed to stay at 7.51p per minute with a call  price announcement while other 0870s in the same number block fall to 3p if there is no call price announcement.  Yet for 0845 they argue that this is impossible.?

I don't know I haven't yet had the time or the courage to plough into the full 250 pages of consultation yet knowing that most of it will be gibberish and that the gist of the Ofcom proposals could clearly have been fitted into a 25 page document.  But that wouldn't have justified their 9 months of procrastination would it. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 9:27pm

Quote:
The real reason is that Ofcom do not want to do any of these things and they fight it all the way.

My dear Dorf you cut to the heart of the matter as always.

The only reason the 0845 dialup ISPs don't want to change their customer's dialup number to something else is because any email on this subject to the customer would remind their customers that due to inertia they are being ripped off at £1.80 per hour in the daytime to connect to the internet, whereas even if their home internet needs are minimal they could move to an 0808 dialup service like www.flexi-surf.co.uk which gives them 60 hours a month of 0808 internet access time for only £5.

The reason the 0845 dialup ISPs don't want their apple cart upset is precisely because this is another huge ripoff area where older non IT savvy customers don't move away from a very expensive means of internet access through inertia and lack of knowledge.  My mother, who inherited my Compuserve's 0845 account, was one such internet user until only very recently.  I kept trying to persuade her of the need to move but aged 70 she was fearful of change.

It is clear Ofcom should make the 0845 dialup ISP merchants change to an 0844 number and restore 0845 to non revenue sharing status as soon as possible and at the same time as 0870.  The only reason Ofcom claims it can't do this is because it would badly affect the business interests of a company like NTL, AOL and Wanadoo where some senior Ofcom personnel have until not so long ago been employees.  And as a result the aforementioned companies have far too much high level access on first name terms to senior Ofcom staff.

IP Logged

NFH

Reply #74 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 1:59pm

[quote author=joe65  link=1127944230/60#70 date=1129223282]
But all is not lost.   Aren't 0[b]2[/b]844,  [b]02[/b]845,  0[b]2[/b]870 & 0[b]2[/b]871 available ?[/quote]
No. 028 is the area code for Northern Ireland.

Local numbers starting 44 are Downpatrick.
Local numbers starting 70 are Coleraine.
Local numbers starting 71 are Londonderry.
No local numbers yet start with 45.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge