Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Police introduce charges for non-emergency calls (Read 383,505 times)
oldharryrocks

Re: Police introduce charges for non-emergency cal
Reply #150 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 4:07am

Do 03 numbers work from outside UK ?

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #151 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 10:01am

oldharryrocks wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 4:07am:
Do 03 numbers work from outside UK ?

I was going to ask that. Why do they need a separate London number for overseas?

I'm pleased to see they are maintaining the tradition of using the number 1212 anyway!
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2008 at 10:02am by jrawle »  
IP Logged

allegro

Reply #152 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 10:46am

On the contact page they suggest using WHItehall 1212 for calls from outside the UK. Sorry, I'm showing my age, it's now 020 7230 1212.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #153 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 3:36pm

allegro wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 10:46am:
On the contact page they suggest using WHItehall 1212 for calls from outside the UK. Sorry, I'm showing my age, it's now 020 7230 1212.

What would that be now? 020 7944 1212? I know all about Whitehall 1212 as my father told me how when he was a schoolboy, it used to be a dare to call it!

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #154 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 5:58pm

jrawle wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 3:36pm:
.. I know all about Whitehall 1212 as my father told me how when he was a schoolboy, it used to be a dare to call it!
This would, of course, have been WHItehall 1212. Halcyon days.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #155 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 6:42pm

Tanllan wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 5:58pm:
Halcyon days.
I am pleased to find that I am not the only contributor old enough to have immediately noted the significance of the 1212. I recall Whitehall 1212 being mentioned perhaps daily on the Home Service breakfast-time programme ("Today"?) in the context of some sort of public service announcement. Was it missing persons?

Speculation about 7944 and 7230 is interesting for someone who wants to look all this up. As well as all-figure numbering having been introduced, there was also the move from Scotland Yard off Whitehall to New Scotland Yard in Victoria.

Regarding international access to 03xx numbers. Perhaps someone from overseas would like to ring Ofcom on +44 300 123 3000 to ask if this is one reason why it is retaining its 020 7981 numbers.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #156 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 8:45pm

Story about West Mercia Constabulary's new 0300 number:

http://www.bromsgrovestandard.co.uk/news60428.html

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #157 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:00am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 6:42pm:
I am pleased to find that I am not the only contributor old enough to have immediately noted the significance of the 1212. I recall Whitehall 1212 being mentioned perhaps daily on the Home Service breakfast-time programme ("Today"?) in the context of some sort of public service announcement. Was it missing persons?

I thought that at 45 I was starting to get old but I must report that despite clearly remembering all the jingles associated with the 1971 government decimilisation campaign and having been to a private school where I learned of furlongs and pounds and ounces long before I ever heard of a kilogram that any memory of BBC Radio 4 as the Home Service is still confined to the history and thought processes of my parents rather than myself.  And this despite clear memories of Casey Jones, Champion the Wonder Horse and On White Horses on the BBC in most school holidays in all my early years.

<div style=

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #158 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 8:40am

Using a follow up on Dave's recent circular, we were able to get an item on Radio Scotland's evening drivetime programme urging ACPOS to abandon 0845 in favour of 0300 numbers. I've written to ACPOS and the Scottish Parliament's justice committee

You can hear the interview here at around minute 30:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00f5b2c

Awaiting an answer to the letter from the authorities

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #159 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:13am

farci wrote on Nov 3rd, 2008 at 8:40am:
Using a follow up on Dave's recent circular, we were able to get an item on Radio Scotland's evening drivetime programme urging ACPOS to abandon 0845 in favour of 0300 numbers. I've written to ACPOS and the Scottish Parliament's justice committee

You can hear the interview here at around minute 30:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00f5b2c

Awaiting an answer to the letter from the authorities

Starts at 20 minutes & 20 seconds, ends at 23 minutes & 20 seconds  Wink

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #160 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 2:52pm

Using a follow up on Dave's recent circular, we were able to get an item on Radio Scotland's evening drivetime programme urging ACPOS to abandon 0845 in favour of 0300 numbers.

What circular was that?

I have just been away in the USA for three weeks and made the grave error of not taking my own wireless enabled laptop computer as a result of which I was almost totally denied internet access for three weeks as the land that invented the internet has almost no internet cafes and expects everyone to carry their own wifi or mobile phone enabled laptop.

I have been catching up on all the emails that arrived during the interim but not seen any from Dave?

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #161 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:15pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 3rd, 2008 at 2:52pm:
Using a follow up on Dave's recent circular, we were able to get an item on Radio Scotland's evening drivetime programme urging ACPOS to abandon 0845 in favour of 0300 numbers.

What circular was that?

Relevant Ministers and media were briefed on the list of police forces now using 03xx numbers. I am pleased to say that the tide is now turning as eight police forces are either using 03xx numbers now or will be doing so within the next few months.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
West Mercia Constabulary launches new number
Reply #162 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:20pm

Source: West Mercia Constabulary

http://www.westmercia.police.uk/press/newnumber.htm

West Mercia Constabulary launches new number for non-emergency calls

<<
West Mercia Constabulary is launching a new non-emergency telephone number: 0300 333 3000.

The new number, introduced in line with Ofcom recommendations, has been chosen as it is easy to remember and dial, and will reduce the cost of calling the police force in a non-emergency situation. The new number replaces 08457 444888, however this number will still be available

[…]

Chief Superintendent John Jones, Head of Contact Management and Service Quality, comments: “Residents should still dial 999 in an emergency but for all other enquiries should now use 0300 333 3000. The move to a 03 prefixed number follows public feedback about the cost of using a 08 prefixed number and is in line with recommendations from the Office of Communications (Ofcom) which established 03 numbers to help eliminate public confusion over call costs.”

Calls to 03 numbers cost the same or less than calls to 01 and 02 prefixed numbers and are included as part of any inclusive minutes or discount packages, in the same way as geographic calls. These rules apply to calls from any type of line including mobile, BT, other fixed line or payphone. However, the ultimate cost of the call will depend on the telephone contract the person is on as these vary from supplier to supplier.

[…]
>>

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: West Mercia Constabulary launches new number
Reply #163 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:36pm

Dave wrote on Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:20pm:
Calls to 03 numbers cost the same or less than calls to 01 and 02 prefixed numbers and are included as part of any inclusive minutes or discount packages, in the same way as geographic calls. These rules apply to calls from any type of line including mobile, BT, other fixed line or payphone. However, the ultimate cost of the call will depend on the telephone contract the person is on as these vary from supplier to supplier.

Despite this being a better announcement effort than most Police forces moving to 03 number use why can they still not get this very simple point right? Angry

When exactly will it ever be cheaper to call an 03 number than one starting 01 or 02? Huh Roll Eyes

<div style=

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: West Mercia Constabulary launches new number
Reply #164 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 7:56pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:36pm:
When exactly will it ever be cheaper to call an 03 number than one starting 01 or 02? Huh Roll Eyes

If you're on BT and you make calls to the police regularly, the 03 number will presumably be added to "Friends and Family Auto Update" in which case it would be cheaper! A bit contrived, but you did set the challenge!  Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge