Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/2/08 (Read 134,621 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/
Reply #15 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 12:10pm

DonQuixote wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 11:17am:
Then in September, some old lady pressed her emergency call pendant (which had a permanent 070 number programmed into it) and it didn't work. Fortunately (for Ofcom) she didn't die. BT has sent out a warning about this.

It is astonishing that in this day and age of a 'free' telecoms market that there are those who are actually profitting (profiteering) out of someone else's position of being elderly and in need of help. This lady had no choice of whether to use the service, but the service provider charges a premium each time her pendant device dials up. And of course there's the amount the telco takes above what it would have done had it been a 01/02 number.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2007 at 12:14pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #16 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 12:39pm

DonQuixote wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 11:27am:
Keith wrote on Oct 27th, 2007 at 10:25am:
This surely begs the question - Why are organisations who are supply life critical emergency services using 07 or 0870 numbers in the first place. They should be using an 0800 AND Geo Number surely.

Apparently its because they are permanent. So if the geographic number is changed they just switch the 0870 or 070 number to point to the new exchange or office number. It was a good idea until Ofcom planned to accidentally break it!  Roll Eyes

They hardly ever make calls (hopefully none), so call cost isn't a problem, but the number being permanent, means that you do not have to rush all over the UK and reprogram over 1 million alarm systems.  Cool

These devices are all connected to a telephone line.  From their inception, telephone lines had TWO-WAY capability.  So what's the problem with a (silent) call being made to each device to reprogram the number it dials out to?

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

DonQuixote

North of the Ivory Towers
Reply #17 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 1:15pm

Dave wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 12:10pm:
DonQuixote wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 11:17am:
Then in September, some old lady pressed her emergency call pendant (which had a permanent 070 number programmed into it) and it didn't work. Fortunately (for Ofcom) she didn't die. BT has sent out a warning about this.

It is astonishing that in this day and age of a 'free' telecoms market that there are those who are actually profitting (profiteering) out of someone else's position of being elderly and in need of help. This lady had no choice of whether to use the service, but the service provider charges a premium each time her pendant device dials up. And of course there's the amount the telco takes above what it would have done had it been a 01/02 number.

I would agree with Dave normally, but perhaps he misses just one point...
This number could have been programmed in before 0870 and before phoneday. (070 numbers started in the early 90's I think).

In any case, Dave, surely calls are so rare in alarm cases, it can hardly be a great way to make money, surely the service fee is the bulk of the income for alarm companies? But perhaps you know better or think one 50 pence call per year is big money.

So I guess it was probably just an old system that had never been updated (don't fix it if it ain't broken).
Ofcom just forgot to think about, even though they should have done! ...and broke it anyway.  Shocked
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2007 at 1:16pm by DonQuixote »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #18 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 1:28pm

DonQuixote wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 1:15pm:
In any case, Dave, surely calls are so rare in alarm cases, it can hardly be a great way to make money, surely the service fee is the bulk of the income for alarm companies? But perhaps you know better or think one 50 pence call per year is big money.

I don't suppose that the idea behind the 070 is to make lots of money. But the fact that the users of such systems must pay this 'premium' and that the need of use is not so much one of choice but of necessity.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2007 at 1:29pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

vinylweatherman

Reply #19 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 8:02pm

Am I missing something, the whole idea of the change was to make 0870 cost the same as 01/02, so there is no need for a pre-call announcement in this case, and this part of the change does not need to be delayed. The other argument about companies having a problem changing their 0870 number has been totally discredited by the raft of companies that have suddenly found a technical solution (in changing to 0871/0844 so very quickly and smoothly DESPITE the problem of informing customers) to the problem of needing 0870 as an unchanging point of entry into their offices that may need to constantly change the underlying geographic number without the need to update customers.

Permanently programmed 070 alarms are a legitimate reason to delay the inclusion of a pre-recorded message on all such calls, since this would disadvantage consumers, and even be a risk to their safety.

OFCOM could still go ahead with charging changes to 0870, but hold back on the other changes. There should be no option for some companies to negotiate a stay of execution on their own 0870 numbers, this would only add to public confusion, they should be forced to be honest and change to a recognised premium number such as 0871 with the choice of 6ppp to 10ppp bands.
   Hopefully, the public will quickly become educated as to the nature of 0871.
  Personally,  I would have wanted 0871 abolished, and a new 09 number introduced, as there is no problem with the general public recognising 09 as premium rate, and they also have the option of having the 09 series blocked on their outgoing line.

IP Logged

DonQuixote

Reply #20 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 12:21am

vinylweatherman wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 8:02pm:
  Am I missing something, the whole idea of the change was to make 0870 cost the same as 01/02, so there is no need for a pre-call announcement in this case, and this part of the change does not need to be delayed. The other argument about companies having a problem changing their 0870 number has been totally discredited by the raft of companies that have suddenly found a technical solution (in changing to 0871/0844 so very quickly and smoothly DESPITE the problem of informing customers) to the problem of needing 0870 as an unchanging point of entry into their offices that may need to constantly change the underlying geographic number without the need to update customers.

This is a very complex area.
Ofcom seemed to be happy to  tinker with a sophisticated business model that has matured over 10 years.
So it isn't you missing something, it was Ofcom...
1. They forgot about modems and alarm failure.

2. They forgot that not all the 0870 providers use the 6p per minute for revenue share. Some use all of it to divert the call or give useful service e.g. like the cost to call a mobile phone.

3. They forgot about charities.

4. They forgot that international calls are not permitted to premium rate from Germany and other countries and so 0870 is a unique service with UK trade benefits IF USED PROPERLY.

5. They forgot that billing to receive each 0870 call would push up the cost for the taxpayer and internet shopper.

6. They didn't realise that their own 0870 rules meant that pre-call announcement would be needed if they wanted to avoid soviet style price controls.

This shallow organisation just goes for quick-fix crowd-pleasing spin, without thinking it through.

Everyone is really p**sed-off by this 0870 mess.  Angry
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2007 at 12:22am by DonQuixote »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #21 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 12:32am

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2204634,00.html

Ofcom puts cheaper 0870 numbers on hold

Miles Brignall
Saturday November 3, 2007
The Guardian

<<
There was bad news for home phone users yesterday after it emerged the telecoms regulator has quietly delayed plans that would have seen the end of expensive 0870 phone calls.
Following a consumer campaign, Ofcom had agreed that 0870 numbers, which typically cost up to 10p a minute, should be priced at no more than standard landline calls. That was due to come into force on February 1 next year.

However, it emerged last night that Ofcom has delayed its implementation by a "short period" because of concerns that some household alarm systems would not work under the new regime.

Consumer groups complained that Ofcom told the telecoms industry of the delay but did not make a formal announcement.
The 0870 numbers, which can cost as much as 40p a minute if dialled from a mobile phone, have become a money-spinner for the companies called as they typically get about 40% of the call's cost. Almost every customer hotline and many government departments routinely use 0870 numbers. The calls often feature long waits on hold. In 2003, calls to numbers with an 08 prefix cost UK consumers £850m.

Ofcom had ordered that all calls after next February should cost the same as standard calls to numbers with an 01 or 02 prefix. Companies that wanted to carry on charging the higher rate had to warn of the call's cost at the start - something it has now discovered would not work with home alarm systems.

A spokesman for Ofcom said: "There's no change to our overall policy. The key point about these changes is bringing down the price of calls to 0870, which will happen in spring next year. The pre-call announcement option would only be relevant to providers who chose to depart from that general rule. We will keep any delay to a minimum."

David Hickson, a member of the Saynoto0870.com group, which offers consumers alternative numbers to call, said: "We have been waiting patiently for the new rules to come into place and finally end the rip-off that 0870 numbers represent. To find that Ofcom has suspended this at the eleventh hour is both frustrating and very disappointing."
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #22 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 1:30am

idb wrote on Nov 3rd, 2007 at 12:32am:
http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2204634,00.html
Ofcom puts cheaper 0870 numbers on hold

Let us hope that the story will be picked up by other national media.

Quote:
"We have been waiting patiently for the new rules to come into place and finally end the rip-off that 0870 numbers represent. To find that Ofcom has suspended this at the eleventh hour is both frustrating and very disappointing."

Other members may wish to contact other outlets to get coverage and perhaps offer less moderate opinions. As there can be no formal spokesperson to represent the disparate views of those who post here, any published comment that refers to the site must have a personal attribution.

David

IP Logged

DonQuixote

Reply #23 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 1:55am

Dave wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 1:28pm:
DonQuixote wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 1:15pm:

I don't suppose that the idea behind the 070 is to make lots of money. But the fact that the users of such systems must pay this 'premium' and that the need of use is not so much one of choice but of necessity.

Totally agree with you. I have no choice but to accept my ADT alarm dials a premium rate 09 number, which costs much more than 070.
Now is that unacceptable? Angry
Not really. In fact the odd premium rate call is insignificant compared to my annual service fee, which is reduced as a result of the 09 revenue, so I don't complain, as we all pay in the end. The debate is just by what channel.

So shouldn't the real debate be about the inappropriate use of 0870, not 0870 itself?  Undecided
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2007 at 2:00am by DonQuixote »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #24 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 2:12am

DonQuixote wrote on Nov 3rd, 2007 at 1:55am:
Totally agree with you. I have no choice but to accept my ADT alarm dials a premium rate 09 number, which costs much more than 070.
Now is that unacceptable? Angry
Not really. In fact the odd premium rate call is insignificant compared to my annual service fee, which is reduced as a result of the 09 revenue, so I don't complain, as we all pay in the end. The debate is just by what channel.

So shouldn't the real debate be about the inappropriate use of 0870, not 0870 itself?  Undecided
Just out of interest, what is your monthly/annual service fee?

I have an ADT monitored alarm, but I live in the United States. I pay around $34/month including all taxes. Any number called by the alarm is toll-free. ADT customer service is toll-free. I can speak to someone within one minute of calling.

If ADT can do this in the United STates without resorting to premium-rate numbers, why can't they do the same in the United Kingdom?

The answer is that the regulatory framework encourages the use of rip-off numbers with the full knowledge that those who use such numbers can and will 'get away with it'. The UK regulators simply do not give a toss about the average phone consumer.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #25 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 3:44am

DonQuixote wrote on Nov 3rd, 2007 at 12:21am:
This is a very complex area.
Indeed, I wish to take issue with some of your points.

Ofcom seemed to be happy to tinker with a sophisticated business model that has matured over 10 years.
Part of that maturing occurred when the link with “national rate” was broken. This may have occurred for sound business reasons, but the need for transparency of charging meant that continuing exploitation of an outdated link had become misleading and had to be stopped.

We may have good reason to regret it, but in the fast moving world of telecomms "mature" means 3-4 years old, different words are properly applied to a model that is 10 years old.  

1. They forgot about modems and alarm failure.
The CPs were aware of the unsuitability of pre-announcements for lines used by modems and alarms in January 2005. Nobody has been required to use pre-announcements. One must wonder why CPs were still minded to make the choice to use pre-announcements having done nothing to resolve the problems they knew this would cause, in October 2007.

2. They forgot that not all the 0870 providers use the 6p per minute for revenue share. Some use all of it to divert the call or give useful service e.g. like the cost to call a mobile phone.

3. They forgot about charities.
I hope that nobody is seeking to suggest that all those who use 0870 numbers and provide access to them are inherently evil. This is simply about restoring transparency in charging (which includes VAT for most customers).

Those who offer a valuable service or promote a good cause should have no problem in declaring a fair price for a call to a premium rate number. 0871 is one of a number of ranges available for this purpose.

4. They forgot that international calls are not permitted to premium rate from Germany and other countries and so 0870 is a unique service with UK trade benefits IF USED PROPERLY.
I do not fully understand this point, but it sounds as though 0870 is being defended because it is "stealth premium rate" and thereby may be used as a scam to evade measures implemented for the benefit of other EU citizens. However much one may think it “proper” to scam Germans and other foreigners, 0870 is no less effective in scamming the British.

5. They forgot that billing to receive each 0870 call would push up the cost for the taxpayer and internet shopper.
I hope Ofcom did not forget this perfectly valid point! 0871 is one of a number of ranges available for those who wish callers to provide subsidies for call centres, which are otherwise funded from other sources of revenue.

It would generally be accepted that many public services, e.g. NHS and the Police, should be funded in full by the taxpayer and not by citizens as they use the services. Public service providers, as with others, who charge fees to callers should be required to declare this openly.

6. They didn't realise that their own 0870 rules meant that pre-call announcement would be needed if they wanted to avoid soviet style price controls.
As I understand it, it was because Ofcom’s powers as a regulator did not extend to price fixing that pre-call announcements were demanded as a last resort for those who chose not to comply with straightforward requirements to provide price transparency.

Competition in a free market relies on clarity, openness in dealing and transparency in pricing. This exists (to a significant degree) between CPs in geographic call pricing (which now includes 03) and is self-regulated in the interests of the market for premium rate calls (now to include 0871). Those presently involved in what you describe as “this 0870 mess” must decide which way they wish to go, so as to become part of a (relatively) free and open competitive market.

This shallow organisation just goes for quick-fix crowd-pleasing spin, without thinking it through.

Everyone is really p**sed-off by this 0870 mess.

I do not completely share your summarised analysis of the organisation in general, although its actions on this matter over recent days match your description very well.

I do however concur entirely with the latter point; it is unfortunate that Ofcom’s efforts to bring it to an end (by trying to get everyone to abandon, the rightly much-despised, 0870) have not been successful.

IP Logged

DonQuixote

Reply #26 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 9:19am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 3rd, 2007 at 3:44am:
As I understand it, it was because Ofcom’s powers as a regulator did not extend to price fixing that pre-call announcements were demanded as a last resort for those who chose not to comply with straightforward requirements to provide price transparency.

Your right, but for the wrong reasons...
Price fixing is illegal in the UK, EU and USA. So Ofcom tried to fudge it.

Telecoms is turning into a rip-off world because Gordon's 22billion stealth tax for mobile 3G frequencies must now being paid by the consumer.  Roll Eyes
So the mobiles are also doing it by stealth, because there is no price transparency...
Rip-off roaming charges, charging for freephone 0800 and marking up 0870 by over 90p (6p=>100p/min! Shocked ) is the big issue.
BT charge under 10p incl. VAT for 0870, which should never have been called National rate.

By the way, the 6p I quoted is the wholesale rate for 0870, so VAT does not count as it washes out of business transactions e.g. revenue share.

The mobile guys get paid by BT for an 0800 freephone call, so it costs less than a mobile-mobile call!  So why not make 0800 free or at least bundle it? Rip-off that's why! Ofcom won't go near them, but why?

After 0870day, mobile providers planned to to carry on with re-paying Gordon's tax by plonking on the announcement. Knowing the consumer had to dial the 0870 code.  Roll Eyes

You're right Ofcom left this big loophole, so that makes them either incompetent, shallow or what?
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2007 at 9:21am by DonQuixote »  

IP Logged

DonQuixote

Reply #27 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 9:37am

idb wrote on Nov 3rd, 2007 at 2:12am:
I have an ADT monitored alarm, but I live in the United States. I pay around $34/month including all taxes. Any number called by the alarm is toll-free. ADT customer service is toll-free. I can speak to someone within one minute of calling.

Double the real cost and a tenth of the service.  Shocked

But poor old ADT in the UK is taxed to the hilt, via stealth national insurance (13%+11%) and fuel tax (80%+17.5%VAT), now at $9 per US gallon.
This pays for our fat Government and inefficient social services.  Cool

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 11:51am

DonQuixote wrote on Nov 3rd, 2007 at 9:19am:
So Ofcom tried to fudge it.

Everything that Ofcom does in this area has to be a “fudge”, due to the nature of its remit. The relevant statutory principle duty reaquires it to act to further the interests of consumers through the workings of a competitive market. (This seems to be an oxymoron, even before any sort of reality has to be considered.)

Any regulatory intervention must therefore be limited so that operation of the market is helped rather than impeded. Markets only work when providers are seeking to dominate other providers and exploit customers, but are prevented from doing so by competition. Interventions are therefore likely (if not bound) to have perverse and unintended consequences.

Futhermore, the instinct for fair competition in human beings is less strong than is commonly suggested. This is why campaign groups are effective, as people seek to work together to correct wrongs that are being perpetrated on others – we all know about 0870, but are seeking to protect those who do not. This also stops markets working properly as we see CPs having no interest in fair and open competition between themselves, as they combine to attack common enemies – Ofcom and BT.

Telecoms is turning into a rip-off world because Gordon's 22billion stealth tax …

If Ofcom, or the former Chancellor, believe that money grows on trees, or is sitting in some readily accessible slush fund held by wealthy telecoms companies that may be raided without any effect on their operations, then they are indeed deluded.

If however these companies believe that their customers have excess funds that can be used to recover licence fees that they willingly paid over or costs that they choose to incur, by stealth, then they are no less in need of correction.

As you say, something has to be done to prevent telecoms from turning into a “rip-off” world. 0870 is the most obvious current example and it is unfortunate that Ofcom’s inevitably insufficent efforts to address this appear to have failed.

We may have to turn to market pressure, seeking to ensure that media attention causes all of these scams to be exposed and thereby rendered ineffective.

I HOPE THAT OTHER MEMBERS WILL JOIN ME IN PRESSING FOR MORE MEDIA COVERAGE OF THIS STORY.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #29 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 4:57pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 3rd, 2007 at 3:44am:

Your right, but for the wrong reasons...
Price fixing is illegal in the UK, EU and USA. So Ofcom tried to fudge it.

This point was raised and Ofcom argues that fixing the price of 03 to that of 01/02 is not "price fixing". Telcos (OCPs) can charge what they like.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge