Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/2/08 (Read 135,175 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/
Reply #45 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 2:39pm

And Ofcom have had plenty of time to realise that total abolition of revenue share and compulsory charging of 01/02 geographic prices on 0870 a la their 03 solution (thus making call price pre-announcements unnecessary) was the only acceptable route for them to take.

And Ofcom have also had last 18 months or more to revise their original proposals to this effect using the burglar announcement problem as the excuse for compulsory universal changes in case anyone was minded to sue them for shutting down an existing profitable scam (not something to worry Madame Reding at the EU it seems in her battle with the mobile phone roaming charges scammers)

But no Ofcom continue to have cosy little chats at the NTS Focus Group with the leading scammers followed by cosy drinks at the pub or meals at the restaurant to discuss what new arcane reasons they can come up with to ever stop the 084/7 NTS ripoff industry being put out of business.

<div style=

IP Logged

DonQuixote

North of the Ivory Towers
Reply #46 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 8:27am

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 7th, 2007 at 2:39pm:
But no Ofcom continue to have cosy little chats at the NTS Focus Group with the leading scammers followed by cosy drinks at the pub or meals at the restaurant to discuss what new arcane reasons they can come up with to ever stop the 084/7 NTS ripoff industry being put out of business.
An interesting point of view, but I'm not sure Ofcom would describe their experience as "cosy". Why not read the notes of the meeting. Ofcom have been warned for years about this mess. In pretty strident terms.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2007 at 8:27am by DonQuixote »  

IP Logged

jimjim

Reply #47 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 1:08pm

Still no mention on Ofcoms site about the "delay" What an inept bunch.  You can also complain about Ofcom on the site, but who will do the checks, let me guess Ofcom, so that will just be a waste of time.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #48 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 3:54pm

jimjim wrote on Nov 8th, 2007 at 1:08pm:
Still no mention on Ofcoms site about the "delay" What an inept bunch. You can also complain about Ofcom on the site, but who will do the checks, let me guess Ofcom, so that will just be a waste of time.
The Ofcom executive is accountable to its board, but it is right to suggest that an internal complaint would probably be a waste of time.

Ofcom as a body is accountable to parliament (not the government), so members should write to their MPs. The Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Select Committee is the channel by which Ofcom is called to account to parliament. This Committee was only established on Tuesday 6 November and members have yet to be appointed.

I note that apart from the item in the Guardian and a piece on Working Lunch, there has been no general media coverage of the story, which is now going "cold".

It is important to remember that Ofcom did not expect that anyone would use the pre-announcement option, so it was trying to SAY NO TO 0870. If only BT is going to drop its prices to callers, then the whole arrangement will not work. Even if the requirement to use the announcement is introduced later, Ofcom has failed.

Action to stop the 0870 scam can now only come from consumer pressure to SAY NO TO 0870. This can work by what actually happens. In practice, many changes occur simply through fear of such pressure.

Ofcom has done something that may be useful. It has changed the definition of "Premium Rate Services" to include 087x numbers (if charged at more than the rate for geographic calls - which means all of them.)

Users of these numbers had until 1 February 2008 to make the necessary changes to their arrangements if they wished to avoid joining the group that includes providers of "SES" (referred to in several recent Ofcom announcements).

An unannounced “delay" in possible regulatory enforcement action is no reason to defer whatever action users were going to take. Ofcom has not advised users of 087x numbers that the previously announced changes are not going to happen.

USERS OF 0870 and 0871 NUMBERS PAST 1 FEB 2008 ARE PROVIDING A "PREMIUM RATE SERVICE"

That is what they have been told. They need to be reminded of this and so do their customers.

Those who will be implementing new arrangements in the coming couple of months may be helped with publicity for their new (03, or geographic) number. Others may need encouragement to do the same.

A gently-worded message could be composed as follows:

Dear Chief Executive (copy to relevant media)

I understand that you will be changing your present 087x xxxxx number before 1 February 2008, so as to avoid your xxx service being classified as a "premium rate service", alongside discredited TV phone quizzes and Sexual Entertainment Services.

Would you please swiftly let us know what the new 03xx or geographic number will be.

(I know that many would think this far too weak to be effective - I only offer one suggestion)

David

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #49 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 7:05pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 9th, 2007 at 3:54pm:
It is important to remember that Ofcom did not expect that anyone would use the pre-announcement option
I'm sorry I can't believe that other landline providers like TalkTalk, Sky would continue to charge the premium for 0870 even when (or if) BT stop!  Both these landline providers generally price match BT even on these premium rate 084x/087x numbers which other landline providers don't.

I agree the likes of VM and some other landline providers may continue to charge the higher premium price at least possibly until their customers start complaining, etc but for their customers to start complaining would mean they'd have to know that BT don't charge extra for calls to 0870.

As for mobile networks then I believe that most, if not all, would continue to charge the excess premium they do now.

With regulatory support for revenue sharing removed (if that's what ofcom actually finally decides to do) then there is no reason for any OCP (Originating Communication Provider) to charge extra for these calls.  Those that do are purely after the huge profit they would then make and will hope that their customers wont complain (or only a few complain).

Right now with the current plans (although it's now possible that Ofcom may do a u-turn or part u-turn) then OCPs implementing an announcment would obviously mean that OCPs are then basically warning their customers of the actual cost of the call which most OCPs try and hide from their customers now.

This announcement will obviously generate complaints but how many depends on just how much knowledge their customers have that their provider are charging extra for the calls when BT aren't and even is included if on an applicable tariff.

BT, as a marketing tool, could easily exploit this by saying that they don't charge extra for calls to 0870 and that they are included (on an applicable tariff) compared to their competitors.  Something like this would cause a significant amount of complaints from customers to their current provider.

Personally, I believe that Ofcom are possibly telling porkies or are looking at worst case.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #50 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 8:54pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 9th, 2007 at 7:05pm:
It is important to remember that Ofcom did not expect that anyone would use the pre-announcement option

Personally, I believe that Ofcom are possibly telling porkies or are looking at worst case.

We can decide whether Ofcom personnel are fools or knaves based on our personal experience. The position that has been laid out does not make sense.

In particular, I do not understand what bearing the ongoing Dispute between BT and various providers about 0870 termination rates has on this matter. Resolution of this would appear to be key to the alternative to "revenue sharing", which is reduced service charges to premium rate users by terminating providers in recognition of the termination rate they receive and will now have to retain. One assumes that maintenance of existing termination rates has been agreed with originators who are intending to use pre-announcements. As I say, I do not fully understand this issue, but it causes me concern, as it appears to be relevant.

My key point is that Ofcom has failed to put its declared intention to SAY NO TO 0870 into effect from 1 Feb 2008. Those who wish to take advantage of what has been done to help stop the scam from that time must turn their attention elsewhere.

When Ofcom publishes its two new consultations, "probably before the end of the year", we can turn back to looking at what Ofcom may be able to do in the future. I suggest action that can be taken now. Analysis of Ofcom's competence and motives can (and will) go on for ever.

David

IP Logged

DonQuixote

Reply #51 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:28pm

USERS OF 0870 and 0871 NUMBERS PAST 1 FEB 2008 ARE PROVIDING A "PREMIUM RATE SERVICE"
That is what they have been told. They need to be reminded of this and so do their customers.
Is this true? I thought Ofcom have work to do before this changed is enacted.
So surely 0871 & 0870 are legally unchanged so far?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

DonQuixote

Reply #52 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:37pm

I agree the likes of VM and some other landline providers may continue to charge the higher premium price at least possibly until their customers start complaining, etc but for their customers to start complaining would mean they'd have to know that BT don't charge extra for calls to 0870.
As for mobile networks then I believe that most, if not all, would continue to charge the excess premium they do now.

I agree. The mobile networks just continue to agree to rip-off customers. Even charging for free calls(0800)!  Angry
Why can't Ofcom put a price cap on 0870?
Just like the EU did for roaming chargesSmiley
How hard can it be? Roll Eyes

BT, as a marketing tool, could easily exploit this by saying that they don't charge extra for calls to 0870 and that they are included (on an applicable tariff) compared to their competitors.  Something like this would cause a significant amount of complaints from customers to their current provider.

Good marketing, but BT would then have to tell the Bank, Business or Government department that instead of 0870 call being delivered free (or with revenue share  Smiley ) they would be charged up to 4.5 pence per minute to receive the call. Shocked

So is this really a good marketing tool?  Roll Eyes
Sounds more like business suicide  Cry
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:56pm by DonQuixote »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #53 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:59pm

DonQuixote wrote on Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:37pm:
I agree. The mobile networks just continue to agree to rip-off customers. Even charging for free calls(0800)!  Angry
Why can't Ofcom put a price cap on 0870 like the EU did for roaming charges?  Smiley
How hard can it be? Roll Eyes
Very. When you have a corrupt body, responsible for a major fraud that has netted billions of pounds of NTS revenue over the years, attempts to level the 'playing field' are virtually impossible. When a small but significant gain was in sight (Feb 2008), the corrupt body moves the proverbial goalposts.

I agree that the charging of 800 calls from mobile telephones is shocking. Not only did the operators remove these calls from bundled minutes, they also charged premium rates for such calls. In any other jurisdiction, the regulator would take positive action to stop this scam, especially as the netwoks receive termination fees for such calls.

Your regulator over there is a joke body, pandering to the powerful voices that need NTS revenue.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2007 at 10:00pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #54 - Nov 10th, 2007 at 2:45am

DonQuixote wrote on Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:28pm:
Is this true? I thought Ofcom have work to do before this changed is enacted.
So surely 0871 & 0870 are legally unchanged so far?  Roll Eyes

Please forgive me. I come from a long battle over the powers under ss128-130, where Ofcom was happy to use an interpretation of the law and the status of enactments that suited its purposes from time to time. I believe that the interpretation I use in the quoted statement is far less contentious than many which I had to work with in that context. (Please contact me privately if you wish to go through the detail.)

In recent briefings to the media and through statements from its contact centre, Ofcom is happy to acknowledge an existing public understanding that services provided on calls charged at the 0871 tariff are set to be classified as "premium rate services", and be so regulated, with effect from 1 Feb 2008. That is the basis on which users of 087x numbers have been able to make their plans.

Following statements of policy and intent, enactment of regulations is only necessary to support enforcement action. Ofcom always seeks to operate without resort to regulatory action. I personally believe that use of the common term "premium rate" was thereby valid from the date of Ofcom's first determination that this is how 087x numbers should be regarded; use of the legal term "premium rate services" (as used in the Act) had to wait until inclusion under the provisions of ss120-124.

I do not believe that anyone who was planning to leave it to the last minute before changing their number has any good reason to delay or postpone their plans on hearing of a "delay" to the date when enforcement action could be taken against those breaching regulations announced well over a year ago. Those who are happy to remain on 087x and to thereby be seen as providers of a service that is worthy of a premium charge could be proud of this new classification, as it draws attention to the fact that a premium service is being provided. They may be less proud of some of the new company that they will be keeping!

My only point was to offer a suggestion to those members of this forum who wish to SAY NO TO 0870. I suggest that there may be a change in the meaning of language that could be employed to help serve that purpose. If there is nothing that can be done to improve the situation, then let us turn our attentions elsewhere. If more could be done, then let us have more suggestions to encourage potentially useful campaigning activity.

David

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #55 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 2:01pm

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/groups/nts_focus/ntsletter.pdf

Letter to NTS Focus Group

14th November 2007

Dear Telecommunications Provider,

Next steps on 0870 numbers

I am writing to inform you that a critical development means that there will be a delay in
implementing the changes to the regulation of calls to 0870 numbers, previously intended to
take effect on 1 February 2008.

We have recently identified certain 0870 services, many of which protect human life and
property, where the option to use pre-call announcements causes them to fail. This
potentially endangers the life and security of people who depend on the reliability of such
services.

The problem relates to important alarm and security services which use automatic dialling
systems and are often used to communicate directly with the Police and fire stations.
Industry estimates that there are hundreds of thousands of these services in use in the UK.
These systems eventually “time out” if a recognised phone signal is not heard. Use of a preannouncement
may cause these safety services to fail with potentially catastrophic and lifethreatening
consequences.

For these reasons, I am sure you will understand why Ofcom will not make the changes until
a satisfactory solution can be found. We are already assessing the extent of the problem and
identifying potential solutions.

As you would expect, we will include consumers, consumer organisations and industry
through full public consultation. Ofcom was due to consult on the final regulatory process for
implementing the 0870 changes in time for implementation on 1st February 2008. The
consultation will proceed as planned but will be extended to include potential solutions for
these critical services.

As a result, implementation of the consumer protection measures on 0870 will be delayed
beyond 1st February 2008. Following our consultation, a statement confirming the changes is
planned for spring 2008.

While it is very disappointing to us that a delay is necessary, I am sure you will agree that
Ofcom’s duty in such circumstances is to ensure that this risk is addressed before
proceeding further. The overall objective of Ofcom’s approach remains unchanged: to
increase consumer protection for calls to 0870 numbers.

As you will be aware, following its NTS Review and its Numbering Review in 2006, Ofcom
set out steps to significantly improve consumer protection and price transparency for calls to
numbers beginning 08.

The planned changes to 0870 provide for the price of calls to 0870 numbers to be the same
or less than calls to geographic numbers (01 & 02). These calls should also be included in
call packages. If a communications provider wishes to depart from this general rule, it must
arrange for free pre-call announcements, stating how much the call will cost. Ofcom has also
decided to remove the regulatory support for revenue sharing on 0870 numbers.

In addition Ofcom has been investigating how the use of pre-announcements may impact
similar services running on 070 pre-fixed numbers. From September 2007, telephone
providers have been required to include free pre-call announcements about call costs for any
070 call costing more than 20 pence (either per minute or per call). The requirement applies
to calls to 070 from all providers, on all types of lines.

Meanwhile, Ofcom remains absolutely committed to the objectives of increased consumer
protection and price transparency on both 0870 and 070 calls.

Please forward this notification to your service provider customers.

Yours sincerely

Gareth Davies
Competition Policy Director
Ofcom

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

redant

Reply #56 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 2:34pm

It is beyond belief that they did not realise this until three months before date of change, or being cynical is it just another excuse for a delay? Most other companies are abandoning 0870 for other numbers and I am sure the alarm companies etc are doing exactly the same. Just another examply of abject failure by Ofcom-who will fall on their sword for this monumental cock-up? The answer-don't hold your breath.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #57 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 3:05pm

A matter of great relevance to the 0870 changes is the dispute between BT and various operators about 0870 call termination rates.

Ofcom has today published a Draft determination to resolve this dispute.

There is a consultation that ends on 30 November 2007. Those who are able to work out what is going on within that time may wish to respond using the online form, or in other ways.

I am just starting my studies and would be grateful for any objective informed comment. (We all have our views about the general character and competence of the parties.)

My initial understanding (which is open to modification) is that Ofcom's position may represent a "back-door" way of Saying "No" to 0870. We still have an indefinite delay and no guarantee that this will ever come in effect - so it is far too soon to celebrate.

The dispute arose because BT intended to take the first option offered by Ofcom and drop its charges for calls to 0870 numbers to that of geographic calls. It therefore proposed to reduce the payment that it made to the Terminating Providers (TCP's) for these calls.

Service providers (SP's) wished to continue benefiting from revenue share on their 0870 numbers and most Terminating Providers were happy to support this.

Originating Providers (OCP's), other than BT, had decided to take the second Ofcom option, keeping their charge rates high to support continuation of revenue sharing and therefore having to use the pre-announcement.

(This can be confusing because many companies are involved as both OCP's and TCP's, although these are distinct roles, and determine their policy to cover both.)

If, as Ofcom proposes, revenue share is effectively denied from calls originated by BT on 0870, then those who are proud to offer a relatively low cost premium rate service would surely be driven onto 0871. Originators who continue to charge more than geographic rates for calls to 0870 would simply be profiteering.

Someone may be able to explain how revenue sharing could continue on 0870 if unsupported by termination charges paid on calls originated by BT. If not, then 0870 is indeed dead.

(Issues surrounding 0871 are covered in another thread.)

David

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #58 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 8:40pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 19th, 2007 at 3:05pm:
The dispute arose because BT intended to take the first option offered by Ofcom and drop its charges for calls to 0870 numbers to that of geographic calls. It therefore proposed to reduce the payment that it made to the Terminating Providers (TCP's) for these calls.

Service providers (SP's) wished to continue benefiting from revenue share on their 0870 numbers and most Terminating Providers were happy to support this.

Originating Providers (OCP's), other than BT, had decided to take the second Ofcom option, keeping their charge rates high to support continuation of revenue sharing and therefore having to use the pre-announcement.
I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick but if revenue share is removed then TCPs will not get the money they get now and therefore OCPs will only have to pay TCPs around (a guess at this point) what TCPs would get for calls to geographical numbers.

« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2007 at 8:42pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #59 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 8:48pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 19th, 2007 at 8:40pm:
I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick but if revenue share is removed then TCPs will not get the money they get now and therefore OCPs will only have to pay TCPs around (a guess at this point) what TCPs would get for calls to geographical numbers.

What about where BT acts as a transist communications provider? That is where a call originates from a non-BT CP and terminates with a non-BT CP but where the two CPs don't have an arrangement and use BT to carry calls. The amount BT charges the OCP and pays to the TCP, we must assume, will be pretty much what it pays/receives itself.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge