Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Send Topic Print
IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/2/08 (Read 135,198 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/
Reply #60 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 12:18am

http://www.politics.co.uk/press-releases/opinion-former-index/business-and-indus...

BSIA welcomes further consultation on 0870 regulation
Monday, 26 Nov 2007 15:58

<<
The British Security Industry Association has welcomed Ofcom's further consultation and delay on the regulation of calls to 0870 numbers, previously intended to take effect on 1st February 2008. The decision has come following lobbying from the BSIA and a number of partner organisations.

BSIA Technical Director, Alex Carmichael, comments: "Ofcom has been looking at changing the charging of calls to 0870 numbers and increasing transparency with regard to the cost of call charges. One proposed change, which was due to come in on the 1st February 2008, was the introduction of pre-call announcements, detailing what the charges are for that number before the caller is connected."

"This change brought up a number of significant issues for the security industry and its customers as many security communication devices use the 0870 range of numbers. Such devices may well 'time-out' if a pre-call announcement is added and a recognised phone signal is not heard. This may result in alarm signals not getting through to the emergency services, with potentially life-threatening consequences."

The BSIA has worked closely with Flextel and other key partner organisations to successfully lobby Ofcom to rethink their plans to introduce pre-call announcements from February 2008. Ofcom has agreed to consult more widely on this issue and a statement confirming the changes is now due for Spring 2008.

For more information, see the Ofcom website www.ofcom.org.uk
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #61 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 1:39am

idb wrote on Nov 27th, 2007 at 12:18am:
BSIA welcomes further consultation on 0870 regulation   Monday, 26 Nov 2007 15:58

Might I suggest a moderately worded press release on behalf of the saynoto0870 campaign along the lines of the following rough draft:

1. We note the press release issued by the BSIA on Monday 26 November 2007 and are disappointed at the inaccuracies it contains.

2. We trust that BSIA members are now urgently concluding the arrangements they have been making over the last 18 months since this change was announced by Ofcom. They will be either transferring systems onto other numbers, or transferring the remote telephone service from the alarm to companies who have chosen to comply with Ofcom’s intention of providing transparency in call charges, and therefore do not need to use the pre-announcement.

3. It is unfortunate that those who provide the remote telephone service for systems operated by BSIA members have chosen to defy Ofcom’s intention of providing transparency in call charges and have instead chosen the highly unsuitable option of using individually tailored call price pre-announcements.

4. The latter decision is particularly disappointing as their industry group was aware in January 2005 that pre-announcements would interfere with the operation of certain equipment.

5. We are astonished and deeply disappointed that Ofcom has decided to allow an indefinite extension to the time it had already allowed for the necessary changes to be made.

6. We are however pleased by the recent Ofcom proposal that users of 0870 numbers will no longer be able to draw any income from them when calls are originated on the BT network.

I am still awaiting “objective informed comment” about the consultation (see reply #57 above) – PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!!

David

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #62 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 1:56pm

http://www.info4security.com/story.asp?sectioncode=10&storycode=4116152&c=1

Ofcom delays 0870 regulation
27 Nov 07

By Steven Vickers

<<
Communications regulator Ofcom has decided to delay its regulation of 0870 phone numbers, to the relief of many in the security industry.

Ofcom wanted to make companies add pre-recorded tariff warnings to non-geographic numbers that begin with 0870.

Many banks and call centres use the prefix, calls to which often involve long waits and can cost up to three times the standard national rate.

Ofcom decided to take action on the numbers following consumer complaints that firms were taking as much as 40 per cent of the total call cost in profit.

But following pressure from trade bodies Ofcom has postponed its plans, which were due to take effect on the 1st February 2008.

Organisations like the British Security Industry Association (BSIA) said the proposed pre-call announcements could prevent important burglar alarm calls from getting through in an emergency.

Many security communication devices – including monitoring systems for the vulnerable – use the 0870 range of numbers.

“Such devices may well 'time-out' if a pre-call announcement is added and a recognised phone signal is not heard,” said the BSIA’s technical director Alex Carmichael.

“This may result in alarm signals not getting through to the emergency services, with potentially life-threatening consequences."

Ofcom’s decision has sparked anger from members of Saynoto0870.com, a website which aims to give consumers alternative landline numbers to avoid the ‘0870 scam’.

"We have been waiting patiently for the new rules to come into place and finally end the rip-off that 0870 numbers represent. To find that Ofcom has suspended this at the eleventh hour is both frustrating and very disappointing," one member told The Guardian.

Ofcom has kept its decision quiet and has not yet issued an official statement. The regulator has agreed to consult more widely on the issue and a statement confirming the changes is now due for Spring next year.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #63 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 1:48pm

It's totally daft anyway.  I use occasionally call18866 on the home phone.  These have an anouncement of the cost of the call on EVERY number you dial.  BUT while it's being read out, the phone at the other end is already ringing - so, if someone answers quickly, the announcement is interrupted.   It doesn't last long anyway - surely this would work as alarm services would answer immediately?  How long does it take to say "ten pence per minute"?  It takes longer to dial the number!

Anyway, it was only alternate telcos that were proposing to use pre-call announcements - BT was to be obliged to reduce the costs.  I'd expect that most alarm systems either have their own phone lines, or are wired direct into line, so are unlikely to be routed via alternate providers.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #64 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 2:01pm

REMINDER - YOU HAVE ONLY THREE HOURS LEFT TO REPLY TO THE CONSULTATION

Draft determination to resolve 0870 call termination rate disputes between BT and various operators

Those who may wish to join me in responding to what I see as a key element of this issue need to get their responses in by 5 pm today.

As nobody was able to help me to any alternative understanding, I have said BRAVO - WELL DONE OFCOM.

David

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #65 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 7:44pm

The problem, so we are lead to believe, is that certain electronic devices don't like the announcement. What about a prefix beginning 1 to supress the announcement?
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2007 at 7:44pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #66 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 10:37am

Dave wrote on Nov 30th, 2007 at 7:44pm:
The problem, so we are lead to believe, is that certain electronic devices don't like the announcement. What about a prefix beginning 1 to supress the announcement?

Or what about lowering the prices on 1st Feb anyway (although only for BT customers) with no call price announcements and sorting out the call price announcement issue later.

Come on we all know Ofcom actually got cold feet about all these 6p per minute 0870 services changing to 0871 10p per minute with damn all extra controls over them and Ofcom carrying the can for a 66% price hike in the cost of these calls to the companies who operate these numbers.

Thus using the burglar alarm excuse is their way out of implementing 0870 changes permanently and instead pushing 03 as the solution for those who actively want to not scam their customers.

Their overpaid CEO, Ed Richards, hasn't even acknowledged or responded to my email accusing them of failing in their principal duty to the UK citizen consumer by making this further delay.  The only people Ofcom respond to are those in the telecoms industry........

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #67 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 10:46am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 30th, 2007 at 2:01pm:
As nobody was able to help me to any alternative understanding, I have said BRAVO - WELL DONE OFCOM.

You didn't mention the ludicrously short deadline, although history shows that Ofcom will accept anything that is with them up to 9am on Monday morning.  I was about to get to reading it but had no idea there was such a short deadline for comment.

Anyhow do Ofcom ever take any notice of comments from the public?

I responded to PhonePayPlus's (then ICTSIS) Pre consultation and consultation on 0871 numbers at length and they just dismissed the views of over 600 consumers as being those of a well organised pressure group and instead went with the views of their 20 chums in the NTS ripoff industry.

So does making comments to Ofcom make any difference?  History shows it does not.  Its CEO can't be bothered to even reply to a direct email to him from me (and copied to numerous other regulators, ministers and MPs) accusing Ofcom of failing in their principal duty to UK citizen consumers under Part 3(i) of the Communications Act 2003 by delaying 0870 call price reduction on the spurious excuse of the burglar alarm problem that they had actually known about all along and that could easily have been worked around.

So I repeat does mere citizen cnsumers giving their views to Ofcom actually influence their thinking or intended course of action?  I think history shows otherwise.

Also I was down in Bristol all day yesterday as some of us do occasionally do other things than posting on this website.  So I couldn't have responded in the timescale.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2007 at 10:47am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #68 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 11:12am

I respond to consultations and communicate with those whom I seek to influence in the hope that I may contribute to a postive outcome, not to provide justification for subsequent complaints about having failed. I cannot be sure of making a difference, but if I was confident that I would not, then I would not waste my time.

If potential respondents have until 9 am on Monday, it is not too late for informed discussion, if anyone believes that it is worth bothering to respond.

David

P.S. a link to the following belongs in many of the threads on this board – http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1195580114/22#22

IP Logged

simond001

Reply #69 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 2:01pm

Can i fan the flames slightly, but this isnt designed to antagonise.

If the outcome of the Ofcom consultation is that 0870 numbers can remain, this could be a positive as the recent renumbering that has been seen is that 0870 either become 0871 at a higher cost, or 0844 (5ppm). The downside of both of these is that the cost to call remains the same 24/7, and therefore are more likely to be called from a  residence at the higher rate, as appossed to the current numbers that the majority will call from a workplace during the day, but are discounted off peak.

This will ultimately result in higher bills for domestic users. 

Whilst this site is against 0870, it is surely better than the alterantive that is being promoted for use.

(and yes, i work within the industry, but that doesnt change my thoughts on appropriate and innappropriate uses for NGN's)

IP Logged

DonQuixote

North of the Ivory Towers
Reply #70 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 11:50pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 1st, 2007 at 10:37am:
Come on we all know Ofcom actually got cold feet about all these 6p per minute 0870 services changing to 0871 10p per minute with damn all extra controls over them and Ofcom carrying the can for a 66% price hike in the cost of these calls to the companies who operate these numbers.

Thus using the burglar alarm excuse is their way out of implementing 0870 changes permanently and instead pushing 03 as the solution for those who actively want to not scam their customers.

Actually not true. Sadly they're just incompetent. The ITU has banned pre-call announcements since at least 1988, for very good reason.

For those who want the facts instead of wild theory just read recommendation 3 of ITU E.182

that when a subscriber should wait for a network reaction, no tones or announcement should be given. This condition applies during, e.g., dial-tone delay and post-dialling delay.

Yawn! But ignore it and alarms can fail, risking lives! Oops!

So "Their overpaid CEO, Ed Richards, hasn't even acknowledged" your email or the ITU! I hope this makes you feel better!
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2007 at 11:53pm by DonQuixote »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Another Ofcom U-Turn - 070 price announcements
Reply #71 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 2:01pm

Following on from the announcement, if you can call it that, about the changes to 0870 being suspended, Ofcom has today declared that 070 numbers don't have to have pricing announcements because of the issues they cause with equipment such as burglar alarms.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numbering03/070precall/

<<

Removal of the requirement for pre-call announcements on 070 numbers

The 070 number prefix is intended to identify those numbers as being “personal numbering” services which enable the holder of the number to be contacted whatever their location. 070 numbers have been widely abused, in particular for scamming purposes, in many cases with consumers believing they are responding to a missed call from a mobile number, which also commences with “07”.

In Ofcom’s statement Raising confidence in telephone numbers, published on 31 May 2007, we announced measures aimed at protecting against such abuses by two principal means:

* first, from 1 September 2007 Communications Providers have been required to provide free pre-call announcements (PCAs) for calls to 070 numbers where either the per minute or the per call charge exceeds 20p so that consumers would be aware of the maximum charges that could apply to such calls;
    * second, we reiterated our earlier policy decision from 27 July 2006 to evaluate the long term future of personal numbers by reviewing the situation at the end of 2007. Our original intention was to migrate current 070 services to another number range by the end of July 2009.

Since the introduction of the PCAs in September, Ofcom has received a number of complaints about them. In particular, we have identified certain automated calling services provided on the 070 range designed to protect human life or property, where use of the PCAs has caused these remotely activated calling services to fail because of the dialling delay introduced by the PCA. This potentially endangers the life and security of people who depend on the reliability of such services.

Examples of this would be a personal safety or burglar alarm which, when activated, triggers an auto-dialler to contact a monitoring centre. The reason for the time-out is that in the event that the call is not completed, the unit will automatically disconnect and try again for a set period or a certain number of times. For many such units the duration of the time-out means that after the PCA has been played there is little or no time for the call to be completed before the unit disconnects and retries. Ofcom does not regard the use of such services as falling within the generally understood use of personal numbering services. One option would be to require these applications to be moved from the personal numbering range however, this would require a minimum of several months lead time and not address the risks quickly enough.

Given the risk of such services not working as a result of PCAs, Ofcom has already asked the major fixed line providers to lift the PCA in respect of three 100k 070 number blocks where we have identified such systems as being used. We have taken steps to identify the full extent of the use of such emergency-type service. However, given the widespread use of 070 numbers, and the number which have been allocated, it has been impossible to identify all of them. There remains, therefore, a residual risk which we are unable to eliminate, that there are still emergency-type services in use which we are unaware of.

In light of this risk we have decided that we will withdraw the requirement for PCAs on 070 numbers with immediate effect. We have already asked the fixed line providers representing the majority of users to remove the PCA, and one of the purposes of this statement is to ask all other Communications Providers to do so.

>>

Why is it that those at Ofcom appear to have no technical knowledge in the area they regulate? Is it not their job to realise these sorts of issues exist?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #72 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 2:48pm

Ofcom are well aware of what they are doing. It is just that they are somewhat politically and strategically inept and immature. They have plenty of technically-aware people on their staff in fact.

As always with Ofcom, the real reason they have taken this step is not the reason which they claim here in their announcement. That is just their usual attempt at camouflage, as in all their announcements and consultations. The real reason is that there has been outcry amongst those with influence over Ofcom about the introduction of PCAs, let alone of course the prospect of the 070 PNS "service" being moved from its deceptive identity as a fake mobile number to another clear category, where they could be identified for what they are! Don't forget also that call-queuing is not prohibited on 070 PNS calls. Those with a vested interest here do not of course want any changes, and some with sufficient influence/sway over Ofcom have been able to bring that influence firmly to bear, to ensure that they get what they want! Ofcom sometimes lack the foresight and maturity to anticipate the influence and pressure which will be brought to bear upon them if they take certain decisions, and this is why they occasionally decide to change their decisions after they have been previously announced.

The most important issue to observe is that Ofcom have still done nothing to address the heart of the continuing abuses with 070 PNS since Oftel (only temporarily) supposedly prohibited revenue sharing any longer with terminating subscribers of 070 PNS numbers. This decision announced here is part of this same scenario, since they are well aware, as we are, that the way the scam now is continued is for a dummy terminating subscriber to be registered, and the real terminating subscriber to be registered as a supposed "intermediary", so that the abuses for use as covert Premium numbers may continue unabated. This is the only reason that Security/Alarm entities and supposed services "protecting Human life" use 070 PNS numbers - to get the Premiums! Ofcom are well aware of this which is why under pressure they are now reverting to restore the original revenue-generating potential of 070 PNS (for those with influence who do not want change) without the PCAs upsetting it all! It is also significant that Ofcom use the description "to protect Human life.." without qualifying in any way exactly what applications they believe are included within that description - because in reality there aren't any; it is stated solely for effect!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Re: Another Ofcom U-Turn - 070 price announcements
Reply #73 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 3:31pm

This is, in effect, the news we were waiting for.

Ofcom has decided not to require use of PCAs.

The planned changes to 0870 cannot go ahead, as they relied on PCAs. They are therefore abandoned, not delayed.

David

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #74 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 4:23pm

Is this being done at the demand of the Department of Health in order to make Patientline saleable to another buyer?  I have a nasty feeling that may be what lies behind this later announcement as other uses of 070 are comparatively trivial.

Ofcom have now revealed themselves as the total bunch of complete and utter serial liars that they actually are with nothing but blatant contempt for the views of UK citizen consumers.

It is a waste of time for consumers to respond to any Ofcom consultations as they always ignore what consumers say and even any commitments they do make that are vaguely pro consumer are utterly worthless as they then renege on them totally when subjected to any modest form of pressure from those with important New Labour contacts.

Ofcom are one of the most corrupt, expensive and totally ineffective regulators that the UK has ever seen. Shocked Angry Smiley Smiley Smiley

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge