Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/2/08 (Read 134,619 times)
DonQuixote

North of the Ivory Towers
Re: IMPORTANT: Ofcom delays 0870 changes beyond 1/
Reply #30 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 10:40am

Dave wrote on Nov 3rd, 2007 at 4:57pm:
DonQuixote wrote on Nov 3rd, 2007 at 9:19am:
SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 3rd, 2007 at 3:44am:
As I understand it, it was because Ofcom’s powers as a regulator did not extend to price fixing that pre-call announcements were demanded as a last resort for those who chose not to comply with straightforward requirements to provide price transparency.

Your right, but for the wrong reasons...
Price fixing is illegal in the UK, EU and USA. So Ofcom tried to fudge it.

This point was raised and Ofcom argues that fixing the price of 03 to that of 01/02 is not "price fixing". Telcos (OCPs) can charge what they like.

Totally agree, but 03 has a total ban on revenue share. But 0870 does not.

The 0870 price point could either be moved by the OCP or the OCP could use a pre-call announcement for business as usual. So revenue share would be discouraged, not banned.
So 03 is a completely different situation.

IP Logged

DonQuixote

Reply #31 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 11:16am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 3rd, 2007 at 11:51am:
So Ofcom tried to fudge it.

Everything that Ofcom does in this area has to be a “fudge”, due to the nature of its remit. The relevant statutory principle duty requires it to act to further the interests of consumers through the workings of a competitive market. (This seems to be an oxymoron, even before any sort of reality has to be considered.)
Any regulatory intervention must therefore be limited so that operation of the market is helped rather than impeded. Markets only work when providers are seeking to dominate other providers and exploit customers, but are prevented from doing so by competition. Interventions are therefore likely (if not bound) to have perverse and unintended consequences.

Futhermore, the instinct for fair competition in human beings is less strong than is commonly suggested. This is why campaign groups are effective, as people seek to work together to correct wrongs that are being perpetrated on others – we all know about 0870, but are seeking to protect those who do not. This also stops markets working properly as we see CPs having no interest in fair and open competition between themselves, as they combine to attack common enemies – Ofcom and BT.

Excellent piece of philosophy, are you from Ofcom?

Telecoms is turning into a rip-off world because Gordon's 22billion stealth tax …

If Ofcom, or the former Chancellor, believe that money grows on trees, or is sitting in some readily accessible slush fund held by wealthy telecoms companies that may be raided without any effect on their operations, then they are indeed deluded.

If however these companies believe that their customers have excess funds that can be used to recover licence fees that they willingly paid over or costs that they choose to incur, by stealth, then they are no less in need of correction.

Excellent point, but I don't think "willingly" applies when you have a gun to your head. Vodafone had no choice but to bid 6 billion or watch its share price crash if it lost.
As you say, something has to be done to prevent telecoms from turning into a “rip-off” world. 0870 is the most obvious current example and it is unfortunate that Ofcom’s inevitably insufficent efforts to address this appear to have failed.

Yes, but what about doing a "proper job" and stop the rip-off on 0800 and 0845 by the mobile operators?
You'll see both Ofcom and Davekeep forgetting about mobile call costs to 0870, 0845 and 0800. Yet the vulnerable citizens uses pre-pay mobiles not BT lines according to a government report.

We may have to turn to market pressure, seeking to ensure that media attention causes all of these scams to be exposed and thereby rendered ineffective.

I HOPE THAT OTHER MEMBERS WILL JOIN ME IN PRESSING FOR MORE MEDIA COVERAGE OF THIS STORY.

Obviously SilentCallsVictim is well versed with this media stuff, but is it really ethical to rabble-rouse, when the real problem is Mobile overcharging and Ofcom's failure to deal with it in a balanced, well considered manner?
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2007 at 7:01pm by DonQuixote »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #32 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 10:37pm

DonQuixote wrote on Nov 4th, 2007 at 11:16am:
Excellent piece of philosophy, are you from Ofcom?
No. You could never hear this from Ofcom, as it has to pretend that it has clear objectives and that the market works properly in the interests of consumers (helped by its modest interventions). The fact that it is necessary for us all to adopt “positions” that are readily understandable by others does not deny the underlying truth, which is always more complex and thereby different.

Vodafone had no choice but to bid 6 billion or watch its share price crash
I accept that this was not a happy choice, especially if, as you suggest, the former also required it to risk the effect on its share price of being found to be attempting to rip-off its customers at some later time. I do not however wish to undermine my key point for the sake of an argument over use of the word “willingly” to describe the way in which any business must accept responsibility for its decisions, and so ask for this to be disregarded.

what about doing a "proper job" and stop the rip-off on 0800 and 0845 by the mobile operators?
Ofcom sees 0845 in general as part of the “proper job”, but has chosen to go for the softer target of 0870 for now. I believe that it is waiting to see what happens with 0870/0871, 03 and use of dial-up internet services before making any decisions about 0845/0844.

You are quite right to point out that “freephone” calls from mobiles is the greatest breach of the principle of price transparency.

… is it really ethical to rabble-rouse, when the real problem is …
Yes, unfortunately there are always bigger issues than the one we are adressing at any moment. As volunteer campaigners we each apply our own ethical values in setting priorities.

Ofcom would tell you that its priorities are set on populist values. This is an improper position that I have openly attacked, as it touches on my core reason for becoming involved in campaigning.

For myself, I try to only apply my available free time and my limited skills and energies to campaigning on matters where I judge that I can make a difference. This sadly means that efforts are generally not proportionate to the relative scale of the wrong that is being addressed.

On this issue (which is not at the top of my personal list of priorities) I see both the need and an opportunity to draw attention to what Ofcom is doing. Media interest will help prevent Ofcom from diluting the action that was to come into effect on 1 February 2008.

When complementing the success with the Guardian yesterday you do not know how many of my attempts to get the media involved with issues have and have not been successful. There have been very many failures, but also successes where it was not necessary for there to be personal attribution. My general experience has been that it is relatively easy for an eloquent and determined citizen to get coverage for an issue that can be presented in terms that fall within the scope of the respective editorial policies.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #33 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 11:38am

I have been contacted by journalists who want members of the group to make comments on this issue.

Please contact me (by PM or otherise) with details if that is you.

Members may wish to watch Working Lunch on BB2 today.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #34 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 5:59pm

I thought I should report a conversation that took place this afternoon between myself and Geoff Brighton at Ofcom.

I phoned Ofcom to try to speak to Clive Hillier (nominally still tasked with the 0870 price change issue) but was greeted with the message that dear old Clive was away on leave till next Monday (perhaps taking another week of the about 8 to 10 weeks a year holiday that most senior Ofcom employees seem to enjoy) and saying one should speak to Geoff Brighton instead.  Unlike most people at Ofcom Geoff has been there from the start and is someone I met in person at Ofcom's one and only meeting for consumers on the NTS issue held almost exactly two years ago.

I did have rather a go at poor old long suffering and basically well meaning Geoff and demanded how could Ofcom possibly delay 0870 price change implementation on the grounds of a few spurious 070 numbers (numbers that do even begin 0870) having connectivity issues when all they had to do was bring in the price change on time and defer the commencement of the price announcements until a later date.  But following this he then launched in to a most extraordinary tirade of claiming that most people had no problem at all with paying extra for 084/7 numbers and that it was only I and a few other extremists with bees in our bonnets about this issue that were causing all the problems.  He was also still sticking to the tired old lie that there are endless value added services on 084/7 that will disappear and not exist at all if we got our way and made all revenue share on numbers starting 084/7 illegal and forced it on to 09 where it belongs.

In any event he admits that Ofcom are delaying 0870 price change implementation but maintains it will only be a modest delay while they "consult" on the consequences for services affected by these call price announcements.  But what if they then decide there is a major issue following this consultation. No doubt they will then delay 0870 price changes for another 2 years.  When pressed on why there had been no press announcement he gave me a load of flannel about how their communications department were struggling with the right form of words that would not cause the delay to be misunderstood by journalists.  A bit late now when the story is already in the press.

I'm afraid my conversation with Geoff left me little short of despair given that the long termers at Ofcom are clearly all a bunch of weak willed classic civil servant types looking for an easy life who will blatantly always keel over and give in to powerful business interests as they fear that business has bigger and more powerful sticks to beat them with than consumers.

I wonder if the fact there has been no press announcement at all by Ofcom on this matter is in any way connected with the fact that Sky's former head of media relations is now Ofcom's Director of Communciations. Shocked Angry Cry
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2007 at 8:33pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

gwr

UK
Reply #35 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 10:02pm

I heard today (Mon 5th November 2007) on BBC's Working Lunch programme that Ofcom are dragging their feet on bringing changes to 0870 rules.
Are you able to bring me up to date on this and are there any moves afoot to lobby Ofcom about this ??

gwr

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #36 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 12:39am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 5th, 2007 at 11:38am:
I have been contacted by journalists who want members of the group to make comments on this issue.

Please contact me (by PM or otherise) with details if that is you.

Members may wish to watch Working Lunch on BB2 today.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/7079839.stm

<<
Regulator Ofcom says that changes to make 0870 telephone charges more transparent will be delayed.
Ofcom had planned to cut charges for 0870 numbers from February of 2008.

Other proposed changes include making costs clearer, and allowing 0870 calls to be made using inclusive minutes packages.

The regulator has also promised to put a stop to revenue sharing between telecoms companies and businesses.

The campaign group Say No to 0870 say they think Ofcom is cancelling the plans, rather than delaying them.

Ofcom have denied these allegations in a statement citing the need to assess the impact of the new rules.

"There is no intention of cancelling this whatsoever.

"The commitment is absolutely there to protect consumers, but Ofcom has a duty to investigate the impact on critical safety services," Ofcom said.

Watch Gillian's report to find out more on this story.
>>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/broadband/mediaplayer/players/bbc2?redi...

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #37 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 9:44am

gwr wrote on Nov 5th, 2007 at 10:02pm:
I heard today (Mon 5th November 2007) on BBC's Working Lunch programme that Ofcom are dragging their feet on bringing changes to 0870 rules.
Are you able to bring me up to date on this and are there any moves afoot to lobby Ofcom about this ??

Ofcom have postponed the proposed 0870 call price reduction on 1st Feb 2008 saying that there is an unexpected problem with ripoff burglar alarms like the ones sold by BT that dial an 0870 number to report an alarm call.  They say the call price announcement causes the burglar alarm auto reporting on alarm activation to fail.

If you read my post two above you will see I asked Geoff Brighton at Ofcom why they could not just proceed with the price reduction now and add the price announcements later.  He didn't seem to have a convincing answer.

Ofcom were told of these burglar alarm problems caused by call price announcements by the companies running them two years ago.  The burglar alarm companies have had all this time to reprogram their systems to use a geographic number.

In reality ICSTIS (or PhonePayPlus as they are now known) are way behind schedule on their regulations for 0871 numbers and Ofcom seems to be playing for time so that the two things are done together and only one set of regulatory changes are required.  They couldn't give a stuff that consumers have been waiting 3 years for these changes or that they promised faithfully that there would be no further delay.

Ofcom are serial liars and have total contempt for the UK's citizen consumers or any previous promises that they have given.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2007 at 10:16am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #38 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 3:12pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 5th, 2007 at 5:59pm:
[...]I did have rather a go at poor old long suffering and basically well meaning Geoff and demanded how could Ofcom possibly delay 0870 price change implementation on the grounds of a few spurious 070 numbers (numbers that do even begin 0870) having connectivity issues when all they had to do was bring in the price change on time and defer the commencement of the price announcements until a later date.  But following this he then launched in to a most extraordinary tirade of claiming that most people had no problem at all with paying extra for 084/7 numbers and that it was only I and a few other extremists with bees in our bonnets about this issue that were causing all the problems.  He was also still sticking to the tired old lie that there are endless value added services on 084/7 that will disappear and not exist at all if we got our way and made all revenue share on numbers starting 084/7 illegal and forced it on to 09 where it belongs.[...]
Personally, I would have no issue with 087/084 numbers where they provided a value-added service, such as dial-up internet, fax-to-email, call recording and similar provisions. Whilst it would be tidier to have these services allocated an 09 number, insofar as 08X is often perceived to be free, I would accept the current range for low cost 'premium' services. Ofcom simply cannot grasp that NTS is being used for everyday calls to banks, airlines, government services and the like, often to make a complaint, and the consumer is having to pay premium rates for routine calls. I am not aware of any other country where the regulator contrives such an insane framework for the charging of mundane telephone calls as what happens in the United Kingdom. Either Ofcom is protecting its friends in the industry (Windsor Telecom, NEG etc), or it is receiving 'incentives' from its friends. Either way, you have a fraudulent system oversees by a rotten, incompetent and idiotic regulator that has no interest in consumer protection. The delay to 0870 changes is the last straw - there appears to be little hope of any change, and expensive calls for Britain are here to stay.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Ofcom Expects Only BT Will Lower 084/7 Charges!
Reply #39 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 5:24pm

idb wrote on Nov 6th, 2007 at 3:12pm:
The delay to 0870 changes is the last straw - there appears to be little hope of any change, and expensive calls for Britain are here to stay.

A further telephone conversation with Geoff Brighton at Ofcom this afternoon reveals the whole sick, sordid and tawdry unspoken truth behind the delays to 0870 call price changes falsely being blamed on a handful of unco-operative burglar alarm systems.

According to Geoff the real truth of the matter is that Ofcom actually expects nearly all call originating parties other than BT (especially all mobile phone companies) and probably TalkTalk, NTL etc to go on charging the old higher prices to 0870 and that means they have to have announcements for all their calls to 0870 numbers for their customers that will merely include the burglar alarm companies as a tiny fraction of those calls.

So it isn't per se the burglar alarm companies that are to blame as after 1st Feb 2008 they will actually cease to get any revenue share at all if they continue to use 0870 and do not move across to say 0844.  The problem that is actually causing all the delays is that basically all mobile phone customers and many landline customers not with BT will continue to go on paying the old high 0870 rates.  No doubt the burglar alarm companies originally thought Ofcom would possibly end up mandating other OCPs to only charge geographic rates as we have thought all along would be the case (except possibly on mobiles) but now it is clear this isn't so.

So in other words basically Sean Williams and his other Ofcom cronies basically totally lied to this campaign (yes Derrick even I feel moved to use the word lied on this occasion) when I pressed him several times at the Ofcom consumer meeting on 084/7 in Nov 2005 as to why they were keeping 0870 and when he implied that they didn't really expect anyone at all to go on charging the old higher rates and have a call price announcement as they thought telcos would find this too embarassing.  But now it actually turns out that even though the revenue share disappears seemingly companies like TalkTalk, NTL, TMobile etc plan to go on charging the old high 084/7 rate and thus will be trousering absolute shed loads of money that were previously going mainly to the call centre and the terminating call centre's call company partner.  Indeed one suspects that the purpose of the current burglar alarm delay is so that Ofcom will then turn round and say oh dear the additional call price announcements aren't possible but at least BT will be lowering its 084/7 prices.

Good old Geoff claims that Ofcom have no power whatsoever over these other telcos to control their prices  and that as they don't have Significant Market Power in Ofcom's terms (even though say Vodafone and O2 acting together blatantly do) it is up to them if they want to lower their 0870 rates.  He was unable to comment on how the EU was able to force all mobile companies in the market to compulsorily lower their prices from the same date this summer, even though Ofcom would apparently see this as wholly unacceptable market intervention.

So in a nutshell not only did Ocom fail to take action to close down the 0844, 0845 and 0871 ripoffs at all while now being in blatant cohoots with PhonePayPlus (nee ICSTIS) to make sure 0871 won't be regulated as proper premium rate numbers (so most 0870 numbers can then convert to 0871) but they now expect the reduction in call prices on 0870 numbers (when an if it ever happens) to 01/02 national rate to only to be for BT phone customers and everyone else in the industry will use it is an excuse to earn even more money from their customers by charging the old prices that they will now keep much more of.  Of course I suppose Ofcom will argue that BT may make a marketing feature of having lower 084/7 prices and that this may eventually cause at least other fixed line operators to lower their prices.  But there seems no hope of this at all on mobiles where there is no equivalent of BT that will have to lower its 084/7 prices by regulator dictat.

This outcome is a major scandal that shows that Ofcom is quite unfit to regulate competition in the telecoms industry and I will be pressing my MP to ask for an investigation of this issue by the Parliamentary Ombudsman to look in to this massive failure by Ofcom to fulfil its primary remit to ensure competitive markets for UK citizens and UK consumers and for misleading the public as to the intended nature of its planned market intervention.  It appears that Ofcom's idea of competition is quite clearly that the telcos should be able to outbid each other with ever more disgusting hidden ripoff charges to bolster up their own share prices and not that they should ensure the lowest possible prices through properly competitive markets for UK citzen consumers. Shocked Angry Angry Angry Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2007 at 5:28pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

DonQuixote

Reply #40 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 3:03am

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 6th, 2007 at 9:44am:
Ofcom have postponed the proposed 0870 call price reduction on 1st Feb 2008 saying that there is an unexpected problem with ripoff burglar alarms like the ones sold by BT that dial an 0870 number to report an alarm call.  They say the call price announcement causes the burglar alarm auto reporting on alarm activation to fail.

If you read my post two above you will see I asked Geoff Brighton at Ofcom why they could not just proceed with the price reduction now and add the price announcements later.  He didn't seem to have a convincing answer.

Ofcom were told of these burglar alarm problems caused by call price announcements by the companies running them two years ago.  The burglar alarm companies have had all this time to reprogram their systems to use a geographic number.

I see he's having a bit of a rant, but let's stick to the facts. Beside the BT warning, which isn't just burglar alarms, but also personal attack alarms. Ofcom forgot to publish a clear warning that alarm companies couldn't use 0870 after Feb 2008. Whoops! So no one has done the work.

Geoff is ex-Oftel, so is professional and trying to do a proper job in an organisation dominated by media savvy spin doctors such as Ed Richards, who trained Tony and Gordon.
Surely, event though alarms may be "a tiny fraction", isn't one death one too many? Lives are now at risk, so it's a good time for Ofcom to pause for thought and stop listening to the media frenzy, driven by cheapskates, who might at least acknowledge that it's the mobile operators who are ripping-off the punter, to pay for the debt  that THEY DECIDED TO INCUR? (fair point to SilentCallsVictim)

But now it actually turns out that even though the revenue share disappears
For the record revenue share was never planned to disappear and will not be banned on 0870, only 03. So Geoff's other point is well made. It will be business as usual, except for a boring and sometimes dangerous announcement. Ofcom didn't lie! It's just irate saynoto0870 members didn't do their homework and they obviously haven't read the Ofcom literature properly. Shocked

ever more disgusting hidden ripoff charges to bolster up their own share prices and not that they should ensure the lowest possible prices through properly competitive markets for UK citzen consumers.
Don't be silly! Do you really think that businesses, the banks, on-line shops and government want you to call them!?  No they don't. They want to be cost effective. They want you to use the internet! It's cheaper and more efficient. The last thing they want is people jawing-on for hours using bundled cheap calls.

Who wants to pay more for banking, shopping and taxes to subsidise callers? Not me. Businesses aren't charging more to make money, they want everyone to move to self-service on the net. Wake-up and smell the coffee! The internet revolution is here. Trying to kill 0870 is not much different from the Luddites.
Ofcom's media sensitive mandarins have lost the plot and so soon we'll all pay more to ring the bank. Well done, one and all.  Cry

This outcome is a major scandal that shows that Ofcom is quite unfit to regulate competition in the telecoms industry and I will be pressing my MP to ask for an investigation of this issue by the Parliamentary Ombudsman to look in to this massive failure by Ofcom to fulfil its primary remit to ensure competitive markets for UK citizens and UK consumers

Now that is something I can wholeheartedly agree with. The loss of many key Oftel staff from Ofcom has left it incapable of understanding the complexities of the UK market. As as a result its policy is drifting at anchor. So much for low cost (cheapskate) "light touch" regulation.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2007 at 10:01am by DonQuixote »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #41 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 10:54am

DonQuixote wrote on Nov 7th, 2007 at 3:03am:

irate saynoto0870 members didn't do their homework

For the record revenue share was never planned to disappear and will not be banned on 0870

Ofcom forgot to publish a clear warning that alarm companies couldn't use 0870 after Feb 2008. Whoops! So no one has done the work.

Wake-up and smell the coffee!

Most of us who post here are only secondary level students who do their homework by pinching stuff off the internet.

We read in the Ofcom  statement and press release of 19 April 2006 that the regulatory changes (which were later set to come into effect on 1 February 2008) would include the following:

1. Changes to the scope of the BT NTS Call Origination Condition will remove the regulatory underpinning for revenue sharing on the 0870 range. This is said to “end revenue sharing on 0870”.

2. OCPs may either charge no more for 0870 calls than national calls to geographic numbers or make a free-to-caller price pre-announcement at the beginning of the call. These are described as being “options”.

OCPs had advised Ofcom, in January 2005, that if they were to chose the second of these options their customers would not be able to use certain equipment to call 0870 numbers. The problem rests with the originating provider who exercises a choice and is responsible for the service offered to its customers, not with the terminating provider who rents the 0870 number to the alarm company, nor Ofcom.

(The situation is the same in relation to 070 numbers, where those who use announcements have chosen an option which they know will have the effect that has been seen to put lives at risk.)

One could argue that if Ofcom had suspected that companies would be that irresponsible (pushing someone else’s hand into a fire) then it should have acted as their nanny and taken action to stop them. The companies are however known to commend Ofcom for its “light touch” approach.

Telecoms is turning into a rip-off world

We have all woken up to express our objections to this, we all note Ofcom’s inability to address it properly, we each see different priorities and may disagree about what is the best way of dealing with it. There may not be much that we can achieve, but let us focus our efforts on what little we can do.

Whatever the truth may be, Ofcom will continue to seek to appear to be furthering the interests of consumers. This must be exploited to the full.

Contributions from undergraduates or those with doctorates are very welcome to elevate the discussion and provide information to enable more effective action.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #42 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 1:21pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 7th, 2007 at 10:54am:
Most of us who post here are only secondary level students who do their homework by pinching stuff off the internet.

You speak for yourself SCV.  I'm a fully paid up member of the university graduates club with my BA Hons in Economics & Politics from Exeter University.  OK so it was only a 2:2 but that was entirely due to the rubbish teaching of and my total disinterest in basic Macroeconomics which constituted only one course and one exam paper out of 9. So a poor third in this paper offset high 2:1 scores in 6 other papers and good 2:2s in the other two.  A travesty in my opinion.  Anyhow under New Labour a degree isn't much good to you these days, you need to have a PhD at least to be anyone special.

With Labour raising the school leaving age to 18 even parking attendants and litter pickers are soon going to be highly academically qualified.

Quote:
We read in the Ofcom  statement and press release of 19 April 2006 that the regulatory changes (which were later set to come into effect on 1 February 2008) would include the following:

1. Changes to the scope of the BT NTS Call Origination Condition will remove the regulatory underpinning for revenue sharing on the 0870 range. This is said to “end revenue sharing on 0870”.

2. OCPs may either charge no more for 0870 calls than national calls to geographic numbers or make a free-to-caller price pre-announcement at the beginning of the call. These are described as being “options”.

Precisely so SCV but the only reason this burglar alarm thing is even an issue now is because Ofcom failed to do what they initially said they were intending to do (just as they now trying to do with 0871 where they originally said they would be regulated as full Premium rate numbers) which was to force all 0870 numbers to be charged at national rate regardless of who you called them with.  Then in their consultation paper they watered this down by adding the pre-announcement business.  And when I challenged Sean Williams about this directly as a SayNoTo0870 representative at their meeting on NTS with Consumer bodies he assured me this was only due to some arcane legal reasoning and they expected virtually no one to use such a provision because of the unacceptable embarassment of having to make an announcement that you were charging a different price from geographic 01/02 rates would cause.  I also challenged him about mobile phones and again he claimed he expected the cost of calls to 0870 on those to become 01/02 rate.

So the current issue with burglar alarms and personal alarm devices using 0870 numbers is in turn only caused by the greed and cynicism of TalkTalk, NTL et al no doubt planning to stuff millions in to their pockets while charging the old NTS rates (at least for a while before there is media outrage) and this behaviour is in turn entirely down to Ofcom who quite deliberately engineered the Trojan Horse in to their 0870 proposals that has now given them the excuse to delay implementing them indefinitely.  As ever Ofcom displayed theur usual total naivety in claiming everyone would do the decent thing rather than accepting that in the modern entirely ruthless commercial world most people will cheerfully sell their own grandmother for another £50,000 unless there is a law saying it is illegal for them to do so.

Also what is the point of the burglar alarm delay?  There are only three solutions possible that could all be decided on and implemented now:-

(a) scrap the proposal for call price pre announcements altogetherfor companies that go on charging more than 01/02 rates

(b) create a special database of automated mission critical data using systems that use certain 0870 numbers and ensure that call price announcements are not made for just those numbers (fat chance this will be workable across all OCPs I suspect)

(c) Abolish the get out that allows telcos not to lower their call charges to 0870 numbers to 01/02 rates if they add a call price announcement with the higher price.

To my mind option (c) is the only acceptable solution, especially given the furore that will develop once it is clear the 0870 price cuts only benefit customers with BT phone line rental and that mobile customers in particular are being totally and utterly fleeced without any justification whatsoever other than that the UK mobile phone operators cartel thinks bad regulation will allow them to get away with it.  Ditto for TalkTalk, NTL and other shysters who like to quote one low headline rate for calls in their sales material and then have loads of calls they won't carry at that rate even though the punters reckon they are blatantly obviously normal calls.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #43 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 1:42pm

DonQuixote wrote on Nov 7th, 2007 at 3:03am:
Ofcom forgot to publish a clear warning that alarm companies couldn't use 0870 after Feb 2008. Whoops! So no one has done the work.

No it was Ofcom that created the pre announcement get out that they were extensively cross questioned about at the NTS meeting they had with consumer groups and they said that in practice they expected no one to use it as there would be no point with revenue share abolished   Either they were naive and incompetent or they were simply lieing.  Probably both depending on which member of Ofcom staff you are talking about.

We the consumers pointed out the exemption on 0870 geographic pricing for companies that made call price announcements was totally unacceptable and would be abused.  It was Ofcom that chose to completely ignore our representations and press on regardless.

Quote:
For the record revenue share was never planned to disappear and will not be banned on 0870, only 03.

So why did Ofcom tell us and all the UK's national press that it was abolishing it and ensuring 0870 numbers were going to be charged as normal calls for all consumers.  They didn't qualify their announcement (geographic rate on 0870 from 1st Feb 2008 only guaranteed for those who have a BT Retail phone line).

Quote:
So Geoff's other point is well made. It will be business as usual, except for a boring and sometimes dangerous announcement. Ofcom didn't lie! It's just irate saynoto0870 members didn't do their homework and they obviously haven't read the Ofcom literature properly. Shocked

Couldn't decide on your origins or motivations for a while.  You now reveal yourself as a fully paid up member of the NTS Call Centre Industry Abusers camp.  You even describe the announcement as boring.  Only a call centre ripoff man making loads of money from NTS would see it that way.

Quote:
Do you really think that businesses, the banks, on-line shops and government want you to call them!?  No they don't. They want to be cost effective. They want you to use the internet! It's cheaper and more efficient. The last thing they want is people jawing-on for hours using bundled cheap calls.

Fine then let them use properly premum rate 09 numbers and provide call barring as standard on all phone lines which the line owner has to disable if he wants other household members to be able to use these numbers.  It is the fact that the extra charges for these numbers have relied on lies about the call price to hide them and that the incompetent regulator has still not banned the use of deliberately misleading terms like Lo-Call and National Rate in non advertising information material and on websites (which there is huge amounts of) which is what we are upset about.  This is a massive distortion of normal market forces and means people don't make a rational choice about whether to call 084/7 or not.  Also had it been revealed this was the real purpose of 084/7 NTS at the outset then no respectable regulator would ever have allowed the system in to being (not that OFTEL were a respectable regulator but instead a regulator hijacked by telco cronies and infiltrated by BT staff).

Also many of these companies are monopoly suppliers or have customers locked in long contracts and if you use email or the website they ignore the customer totally and don't reply.  The sort of companies you talk about are scam boys interested only in their directors ramping up the share price up and their own salaries and bonuses in the short term before they bugger off to asset strip and screw customer service at the next big company on another £5 million per annum salary package.

Quote:
Now that (Ofcom is a regulatory laughing stock) is something I can wholeheartedly agree with. The loss of many key Oftel staff from Ofcom has left it incapable of understanding the complexities of the UK market. As as a result its policy is drifting at anchor. So much for low cost (cheapskate) "light touch" regulation.  Embarrassed

At least we agree Ofcom are totally useless and/or even totally corrupt (actually following New Labour orders to regulate in favour of their business political allies while making out to be neutral consulting and acting in accordance with the public interest) if we disagree on everything else.  Those lower down the food chain at Ofcom don't see the big picture so deny this is so uit I'm sure those at the top of Ofcom who are after the knighthoods and the peerages are well aware this is what is really going on.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2007 at 1:55pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #44 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 2:19pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 7th, 2007 at 1:21pm:
SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 7th, 2007 at 10:54am:
You speak for yourself SCV.

I do, and I hope this board is open to those who see themselves at only the primary or even nursery level, in the context of the "homework" to which I was referring.

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 7th, 2007 at 1:21pm:
There are only three solutions possible

May I offer what should have been listed first, which applied throughout, and could be recognised at any time. It is the preferred third option presented in a different way.

Simply acknowledge that telephone service providers have a duty to their customers.

If they chose to implement changes that they know will put the health and safety of their customers at risk, or prevent use of valuable features such as fax calls, then they must surely be obliged to address this or take responsibility for the potentially tragic consequences.

If they have left it too late to do so before they are required to otherwise lower their prices, then they will have to do just that, until such time as they are happy to use pre-announcements, should they wish to do so.

The OCPs have had plenty of time in which to request Ofcom to prohibit use of 0870 numbers by alarm companies and for faxes, or to warn such users of these numbers of what might happen if they remained on 0870.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge