Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
BBC re 0870 number change (Read 93,246 times)
jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: BBC re 0870 number change
Reply #15 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 12:46pm

If you have inclusive geographic calls, then 03 should be covered by this. If they aren't, you need to complain to your mobile phone provider.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 1:11pm

irrelevant wrote on Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:45pm:
I was listening to Feedback on R4 the other day.  They gave their new number:  03 333 444 544 "calls cost up to 8p per minute".  WHAT??!

Perhaps someone would like to draw the error to the attention of the programme's producers.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #17 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 3:17pm

sherbert wrote on Nov 4th, 2008 at 12:43pm:
Surely that would be covered in your free call package on your mobile

No because, believe it or not, some of us don't fork out for a mobile contract and use PAYG. Seeing as it's effectively compulsory to have a landline, why would I also pay for a mobile conract when I can use my inclusive calls on my landline? For anyone on Virgin PAYG, it costs 15p/min for the first five minutes, then 5p/min afterwards to call the BBC's number (although of course it's nuts to use a PAYG mobile to make anything other than emergency calls).

None of this changes the fact that the BBC is wrong. They should simply say the number costs the same as an 01/02 number.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 4:02pm

Point taken, as I have a contract with my mobile, I was not thinking of Pay as you go.

I use my contract mobile during the day and the land line after six, so that way I do not pay for any 01,02 or 03 calls.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #19 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 4:25pm

sherbert wrote on Nov 4th, 2008 at 4:02pm:
I use my contract mobile during the day and the land line after six, so that way I do not pay for any 01,02 or 03 calls.

Of course you do. They come from inclusive minutes which are part of the package paid for by the monthly fee (often referred to as "line rental"). The payment also subsidises the handset and any other services such as inclusive texts.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2008 at 4:29pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 4:52pm

Fair enough Dave, I take your point.  Embarrassed Mind you you could say  that you are paying for the 'free' calls on the landline via the line rental. Nothing in this world is free. If it was the economy would be even in a worse state!!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #21 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 5:32pm

sherbert wrote on Nov 4th, 2008 at 4:52pm:
… Mind you you could say  that you are paying for the 'free' calls on the landline via the line rental. Nothing in this world is free. If it was the economy would be even in a worse state!!

Whilst it is true because all calls which are "inclusive" whether we are talking from landline or mobile have to be paid for by the telephone company retailing the calls, there are key differences.

Inclusive calls from landlines are "unlimited", although they may be limited to within a particular time period. Any "fair usage" policy is that high that in general terms, there is no finite limit on the number of minutes.

Mobile tariffs on the other hand have a limit on the number of minutes/texts and the price usually reflects this directly. What's more, outside of any minutes, the charges are usually broadly in line with that of pay as you go tariffs.

So the monthly fee the mobile providers like to call "line rental" does not actually reduce the cost of calls indefinately but for only a limited amount. It is therefore clear to see that the benefit received for paying this "line rental" is for the inclusive minutes and texts, handset and anything else.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 5:55pm

Thanks for that Dave...appreciate it. Smiley

IP Logged

catj

Reply #23 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 10:05pm

Quote:
They gave their new number:  03 333 444 544 "calls cost up to 8p per minute".  WHAT??!

If you haven't got a "calls package" on your landline, then indeed these 03 calls *will* cost you up to 8ppm just as if you had dialled an 01 or 02 landline number at the same time of day.

It is 0800 and 0808 numbers that are completely free from a landline.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2009 at 10:07pm by catj »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #24 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 12:41am

catj wrote on Jun 6th, 2009 at 10:05pm:
If you haven't got a "calls package" on your landline, then indeed these 03 calls *will* cost you up to 8ppm just as if you had dialled an 01 or 02 landline number at the same time of day.

I am not aware of any landline telephone tariff which charges 03 calls at 8 pence per minute. I think the "up to 8p per minute" message was left from when it was an 0870 number.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #25 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 9:39am

Dave wrote on Jun 7th, 2009 at 12:41am:
I am not aware of any landline telephone tariff which charges 03 calls at 8 pence per minute. I think the "up to 8p per minute" message was left from when it was an 0870 number.

I wonder what their explanation of the caption at then end of each Newswatch programme is then?  If you could ever get them to reply that is.

Each time, it ends with the usual graphic of their new 0370 number - above a caption stating, "3p per minute from a landline".

Even for those using BT but without a calls package covering the time of their call, 3p per minute hasn't been the cost for some time now (IIRC, it's currently 4¼p and going up to 5¼p in October).

Head, wall, banging.  Commence.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 10:25am

jamesbond wrote on Jul 2nd, 2008 at 8:49pm:
Hi there!

Steve Wright was on BBC Radio 2 this afternoon and he mentioned that the number for Love Songs show on Sunday has changed to:

03700 100 200

James Bond

Unfortunately, in the BBC's typically muddled way, Steve Wright keeps announcing (and the website also states):

Quote:
Call 03700 100 200 to leave a message.

Standard geographic charges apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider’s call package. Calls from mobiles may be higher."

I've started emailing lovesongs@bbc.co.uk but don't hold out much hope as it's now more than 3½ years since the change.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2012 at 10:31am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #27 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 9:12pm

Heinz wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 10:25am:
jamesbond wrote on Jul 2nd, 2008 at 8:49pm:
Hi there!

Steve Wright was on BBC Radio 2 this afternoon and he mentioned that the number for Love Songs show on Sunday has changed to:

03700 100 200

James Bond

Unfortunately, in the BBC's typically muddled way, Steve Wright keeps announcing (and the website also states):

Quote:
Call 03700 100 200 to leave a message.

Standard geographic charges apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider’s call package. Calls from mobiles may be higher."

Ive started emailing lovesongs@bbc.co.uk but don't hold out much hope as it's now more than 3½ years since the change.

Maybe the thing to do is for members to ring the show and point out his error. If they receive enough calls they may anounce the correct number Smiley

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #28 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 10:04pm

It may take time, but the BBC can get things right.

The following (rather scruffy) animation shows the captions from Question Time, in sequence, for the following broadcast dates:

- 22 July 2010
- 16 September 2010
- 19 January 2012 - this latest change occurred for the broadcast on 6 Oct 2011!

This is discussed in my blog.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #29 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 9:25pm

Nice One!

We are getting there slowly but surely Smiley

You are a credit to the site

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge